Events/Trails HC Ride with ONSC and LCLC - June 21-23 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
Blatant copy/paste from @GLTHFJ60 / ONSC's thread. UC Members should post their intent here and I will crosspost as needed.

Moonshine survived GSMTR this year!! That means @Bryanseye and I will be leading the June HC trip for our NC/SC TLCA clubs.

Typically it's the first or second weekend in June, but my schedule is packed this month, so we're doing June 21/22/23. I apologize for not getting this thread up sooner, but here it is!!

Past thread for reference:
June Hurricane Creek Trip - June 15th-17th
In lieu of recent events (@GLTHFJ60 blowing up Moonshine's transfer case at GSMTR..doh!) I will be accepting the honor of leading ONSC, UC, and LCLC through the mountains of NC and TN for the annual June Hurricane Creek trip. This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject...
forum.ih8mud.com
forum.ih8mud.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge, and $ for the group meals.

Like last year this trip will be open and limited to 6paid members of ONSC, 6 paid members of UC, and 6 paid members of LCLC. We require that attendees have an active membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.

We'll meet around 11:00-12:00 at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday June 21st. After lunch, we'll head down the road to HC and make our way up to camp. More trip details to come.

The trip is a family friendly trip and we encourage bringing the kids as well as WELL-behaved dogs. Out of respect for the entire group, if your dog cannot behave unleashed around other dogs and people (especially children) please do not bring them.

Here is the tentative plan (subject to change based on weather, attendance, and availability). We will make our way to camp at Wolf Creek Falls on Friday night. Here you can expect to relax and enjoy a small private campsite and waterfall, and depends on who shows up, possibly a late night acoustic serenade around the campfire. Saturday we will make all efforts to depart the camp by 11am and work our way back down to Max Patch Mountain for a hike to the top where we can hang out for a bit. This is a great place for the kids, dogs, and flying kites! After here we will spend about 3 hours or so on a traverse through Martha Sundquist to Stone Mountain and back. Depending on group size we may head south across I-40 instead of back to Martha Sundquist to camp at another riverside campsite off Longarm Mountain. Sunday morning we will pack up and work our way toward the interstate and hit a couple more must-see spots on the way out.

Planning ahead for dinner on Friday and Saturday night, we typically do a potluck. Let’s hear some ideas on what we should do for those 2 nights? Once we come to a conclusion on what we will be eating, post up what you will bring to contribute.

Sign-ups

ONSC:
Full

UC:
1. @Bryanseye
2: @aquatech3
3: @Southeast Overland
4: @SCDerby
5: @BillWright
6:

LCLC:
1-6

Wait List: Will take open spots on 6/16

Last edited:
Bonnie, Z and me please.

If y’all do make it to Longarm Mountain, check to see if the power company has gotten the Pigeon river back under control. If they didn’t, the last bridge on the way out at Harmon den exit will be impassable causing you to backtrack 1 hour.

Only a few days left before the empty slots are filled from the waitlist. Jump now! Valid excuses for not coming are limited to:
You are out of the country.
You are running a business or other such "gotta get paid" nonsense

Personally, I am just trying to do my paid job while waiting for Friday to hurry the hell up.

Basic plan: Sierra Nevada by noon. Departure time is loose (depending on eats and drinks). Then convoy to the turnoff. Everyone's meals are up to them. Doors are optional. :)

Everyone please bring some firewood and be topped off BEFORE meeting at Sierra Nevada. Getting everyone through a fuel stop and back together is difficult.

I was wondering the same. It looks like I now have a con-call where I have to present that I plan to do from the Sierra Nevada parking lot (or somewhere on the road). As it stands, I may miss the lunch portion of this.

I was wondering the same. It looks like I now have a con-call where I have to present that I plan to do from the Sierra Nevada parking lot (or somewhere on the road). As it stands, I may miss the lunch portion of this.
Does that mean we can set up a conference center somewhere? I have a call too. :mad:

I have to remember to do the bulk of my packing tomorrow so that I can attend the monthly meet/greet Thursday. :):beer:

Does that mean we can set up a conference center somewhere? I have a call too. :mad:

I have to remember to do the bulk of my packing tomorrow so that I can attend the monthly meet/greet Thursday. :):beer:

LOL - We may have too! Good to hear that I'm not alone in the work stuff requirements.

I accomplished nothing last night. Will be gearing up with whatever time I have tonight following the meet, then last minute tomorrow morning. Moral of the story is that I am anticipating forgetting something (I forgot chairs my 1st HC trip), but as long as it isn't one of the kids I should be okay.

I will have a 2 burner stove that anyone is welcome to use. Also my camp keurig, just bring your favorite k cups.

Don't wait for me at Sierra Nevada I may not make it.

I may look for youse in the mountains.

Great weekend! Just enough rain to keep the dust down but never got soaked (it only came down while driving or sleeping). Didn't take many photos, but there were some great views.

Had a little fun around a train track:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom