have 3FE. The cold start injector no voltage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
used to work fine. I checked today and no voltage to the injector. anyone know where the fuse or wiring issue might be?

Cold start injector timer switch working?

where is that timer switch located? thanks. I was wondering about the temp sensor also.

3FE StatHousing.jpg

great thanks. how would I check the voltage going through that Time Switch? or is it a Continuity thing when cold?
I haven't had to mess with this part for about 5 years. Might need to check the wiring connections.

It should be continuity while cold. The CSI is energized by the starter solenoid and grounded by the timer switch if then engine is cold. If the engine is hot the switch will be open, so no current flows though the injector

maybe yesterday's check the engine was still a little warm. Indicator on dash read at the bottom though. I'll check continuity after it stops raining. It's 45F right now.
Thanks for the help.

maybe yesterday's check the engine was still a little warm. Indicator on dash read at the bottom though. I'll check continuity after it stops raining. It's 45F right now.
Thanks for the help.
I have continuity at the Temp Sensor. Does the wiring go somewhere else before hitting the cold start injector?

This is what you're looking for. As you can see, the CSI is just an injector, so you'll always read continuity across the coil. The ECU will ground the CSI depending on coolant temperature. The CSI Time Switch is energized from the starter circuit, but it is the ECU that fires the CSI when needed. Once you release the key from the START position, the CSI and time switch are out of circuit.

Starting_Ignition.jpg

getting to be that time of year again. how can I check if I'm getting juice to the CSI? volt meter and turn on ignition when cold?
How do these things activate anyway?

I did the OHM check procedure and getting 8 OHM. Anyone know where to find a CSI for 3FE? I can't remember the guys in Las Vegas but they were good and close.
What is making you feel that the CSI is faulty? I would expect a similar reading because you're reading across the coil of an injector.

I won't spray fuel. I have to use starting fluid in the air cleaner in the winter
Have you verified fuel to the CSI banjo fitting?
Have you removed the CSI connector and applied 12 volts and ground to the coil? You should be able to hear it click as the valve opens.
Have you verified continuity from the CSI to the ECU connector E4 pin 11?
Have you verified continuity from the CSI time switch to the same ECU connector/pin?

My explanation of how the system works above has an error. The ECU fires the CSI time switch which in turn grounds the CSI pin 1 which fires the CSI when the ignition key is in the START position. Once the key is out of the START position, the entire CSI circuit is shut down.
You should only see +12 to the CSI pin 2 and the CSI time switch pin 1 when cranking the starter.

no on fuel verification to banjo. loosen it up a bit and check for leak?
no on +12v to CSI connector
where is "ECU connector E4 pin 11"?
I ordered the CSI on eBay so when it gets here I'll install and see if I get an easy start. This existing CSI is original '92 I think maybe '91
thanks for the help

no on fuel verification to banjo. loosen it up a bit and check for leak?
no on +12v to CSI connector
where is "ECU connector E4 pin 11"?
I ordered the CSI on eBay so when it gets here I'll install and see if I get an easy start. This existing CSI is original '92 I think maybe '91
thanks for the help
If you loosen the banjo bolt for the CSI you should get some fuel spray.
There are 3 connectors on the ECU which is behind and above the glovebox. E4 is the 26 pin connector which is the largest of the 3.

1697460390298.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom