Has anyone used this guy for reworking a harness ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone has used him to rework a harness for them ? Im installing a 1996 vortec 5.7 from a suburban into my 1970 FJ40 and am to intimidated to try it myself.

eBay Motors: Vortec Engine Harness ReWire 96-07 Chevy GM wiring (item 380097571461 end time Feb-15-09 13:19:35 PST)=

Thanks

I don't want to rain on this guys parade because he could be a good deal for some people, but here's what concerns me:
(a) Does his harness rework include ECU reprogramming, not clear on his discription. What he does claim is that he eliminates the VSS, and I will argue with anybody on any day against doing that!!!!!
(b) Most of my customers find it very easy to use a stock GM harness unmodified. 85 percent of the wires already have a destination on the engine (no brainer because no two plugs are the same), then there are the 6 wires that we identify by location and color that go to destination that we specify. Any remaining wires are "excess baggage", they should be rolled up, wire tied, and stuffed away with the ECU. If all this sounds too difficult, then by all means use the internet guy!!!!!

Try Jim's Performance, he has been highly recommended by a lot of people and will flash your computer as well.

Check out LS1 Tech Conversions and Hybirds, it is a very thorough site that details everything needed to convert vortec and lsx motors into any vehicle.

i have to agree with Downey, you should keep the VSS it tells the computer if the vehicle is moving or not and affects idle rpm to keep from stalling when coming to a stop and also controls other emission stuff EGR, charcoal canister purge etc. and yes unless your chip is reprogrammed you will be throwing codes all the time with all the other stuff removed.

when i did my tuned port injection swap i was going to use the factory harness from a camaro. but when i got my TPI set up (off ebay) it came with a painless harness. so i have two factory camaro harnesses and an extra TPI set up laying around but the deal was to good to pass up.

Yeah... From the start of the show...plan on having a VSS. Do not listen to anyone that says a fuel injected engine will run right without the VSS. I would suggest you get a stand-alone harness for your engine or find someone that will rework a GM harness to make it stand-alone. A painless harness for a Vortec 5.7 works with the PCM from a 97 GM pickup. PM me and I can find you the correct service #. There is a guy on ebay that apparently sells just about every GM PCM ever made. You will have to get your PCM reprogrammed. THere are a number of threads on this over on the 60 forum as there may be a number here also, (about V-8 engine swaps.

Did anyone actually read the guys ebay add. No where does he mention eliminating the VSS. It sound like basic tuning is included but advanced tuning will be $100 more.

I had a guy in southern CA rework my harness for my 5.3L. Cost was around the same but without the tuning. Tuning at the least is required to remove the VATS (vehicle anti theft system).There's not much to reworking the harness and if I were to do it again I would do it myself.

Thanks for all the input.

I think in the long run ill be better off and have a cleaner looking harness if I let a pro do it.

I poked around a bit and think I will be sending it to FIS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom