Has anyone rebuilt a power steering pump?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Checked with NAPA and they sell a rebuild kit for the FJ60 PS pump. I assume it is the seals needed to keep them from leaking. Since I am getting rid of the air pump and replacing it with one of Jim C's idler pulleys, I though I'd better address the reason the air pump failed in the first place.

Has anyone used a kit from NAPA, and what were the results? How many banana job? Any advice?

The NAPA kit is $19 and the cheapest remanned pump I can find is around $100. So the math says to try the rebuild. Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks, Hodag

I've replaced the seal on the power steering pump in my old '84 BJ60. It's not a big deal. If you've done seals before then it's not a big deal. You'll likely find that the bushing is worn and that will mean that the seal won't last as long. My work on the power steering pump lasted for the year and a half longer that I owned it.

I've used a rebuild kit from Spector, but I haven't acutally used the pump. I installed a replacment and rebuillt the leaking one.

You'll need the FSM. On US trucks the powersteering pump uses spring loaded "slippers" which makes for about 36 little parts that can go flying around the shop. When I was pulling the rotating shaft out of the housing, I put a bag aournd the whole thing to catch all the little parts. You also have to be pretty carefull putting it all back together to make sure you get the slippers in the right way with all the springs aligned.

I also think that the FSM is wrong about the torque spec for the "hosel" bolts (the bolts that hold the body together. I broke a couple of bolts trying to torque it to the spec (34 ft lbs).

The Spector rebuild kit had the o-rings and seals, but no hard parts.

Hodag..

Post up the part number of this seal kit please...

Thanks!

-Steve

hodag
how ya doing?....have you sold the 55?...never rebuilt a ps pump...i did a carb..not real well forgot to set the float :doh: ...i would say research before you start....good luck

osagecruiser

I second the comments above. The rebuild is easy, almost medetative. The FSM is a MUST (for any job).
Check with your Toyota parts guy though, I seem to remember the rebuild kit only being $30 or $40 ??? for OEM parts. Just do it once that way.

Next up is the gear box, that is fun :)

If you're considering a rebuild to fix a leak, do it. If you have low pump pressure, I wouldn't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom