Has anyone experienced a tick being caused by worn/bent pushrod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a tick. It’s been there since I got the rig some years ago.
While I’ll freely admit I’m slightly OCD and the rig is running fine…..I’m working my butt off to make this a forever car I’ll drive in retirement.
I’m also aware of several potential culprits like exhaust leaks, valve adjustments etc etc etc. and also know these are known as quiet engines by any stretch.
I’ll go through all of the usual suspects but was wondering: does anyone have specific experience wherein a tick was caused by a worn/slightly bent push rods?
The reason for the specific question is that:
1. Happens warm or cold
2. Can be intermittent (sometimes I don’t notice much more than the appropriate typewriter sounds these engines make)
3. Using a mechanics stethescope I cant determine if it’s a top end noise, bottom end noise and the pushrods seem to be a likely bridge between top or bottom
4. Doesn‘t sound like a rod knock as I’ve pulled spark plugs on each cylinder with no noticeable change
5. Tick existed with vales at recommended gap, slightly tighter than spec, slightly looser than spec.
6. Exhaust manifold gasket replace, tick existed before and after
7. Sound most noticeable behind drivers side front wheel but can be detected with stethescope in top and oil pan
8. Frequency of tick correlates with RPM

Thanks for sharing any of your experience.

PS - rig is an 1988 FJ62 with 242k miles, was rebuilt by PO at 160k due to a blown freeze plug, stock except for H55 conversion (though the tick existed with the A440F.

NOT Land Cruiser experience but...

I had a ticking sound in a 1971 Volvo with a B20E 4 cylinder in it. When I took it apart to deal with a timing gear failure I found a broken lifter. Still working but broken in half so that the top and bottom were separating just enough to click when the cam pushed it back up.

I was pretty proud of that engine for sticking with it long enough to have a seperate failure

NOT Land Cruiser experience but...

I had a ticking sound in a 1971 Volvo with a B20E 4 cylinder in it. When I took it apart to deal with a timing gear failure I found a broken lifter. Still working but broken in half so that the top and bottom were separating just enough to click when the cam pushed it back up.

I was pretty proud of that engine for sticking with it long enough to have a seperate failure
Thanks
I’ll check the lifters as well.
Not exactly excited to take the pushrod inspection panel off again (did that to replace the gasket some time back) and remember what an absolute pain in the butt that was.

Probably easier to pull valve cover and lift up rocker assembly. Not a difficult task. So you can remove pushrods and roll them on a flat surface to check straightness.

I’m still thinking valves. They are notorious tickers. (I know you checked them).

If it’s just a tick, it’s ikely not anything significant and the engine will probably go another 250K miles. It’s not going to balloon into a monster problem. - is my suspicion

It will make a noise. 😂😂
image.jpg

Probably easier to pull valve cover and lift up rocker assembly. Not a difficult task. So you can remove pushrods and roll them on a flat surface to check straightness.
That’s my plan and thanks for the response
Have new rods (and lifters) in my basement stock.
I will try valves one more time as well.
May take me a few weeks to find the time but if/when I find the culprit I’ll post it here.

Ok - the tick is gone.
pulled the valve rocker assembly and pulled/replaced the push rods. One “might” have had a slight wobble or I was looking for bending wobble and saw it.

I also tries something I had previously not done…..cold adjusted the valves(0.010/0.016). Took all the time I needed, adjusted, rotsted 360, adjusted, rotated 360…..

Took it for a long drive and its better than I’ve ever had it set previously.

Was it push rod, was it valve…..who the hell knows. It’s gone and I’m happy.

thanks for the advice given above.

PS - i will go back and warm adjust valves but if I don’t get out and rake the leaves my wife will set the Cruiser on fire.

Adding a beauty shot,.
Also, if your ever pull your valve rocker assembly, use the larger bolt at #2 cylinder to align the shaft oil passage otherwise it wont seat properly…..you will realize if it isn’t aligned if it won’t seat but it took be a bit to realize why it was stuck and not dropping down

IMG_3101.jpeg

IMG_3099.jpeg

IMG_3098.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom