Hardest Trail in a Stock '97? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of heading out west this spring, and I was wondering what's the toughest, most technical trail I could comfortably do in a bone stock 97 FZJ80..no sliders, lift, and on the saggy original shocks and springs.

I'm thinking of heading out west this spring, and I was wondering what's the toughest, most technical trail I could comfortably do in a bone stock 97 FZJ80..no sliders, lift, and on the saggy original shocks and springs.
Rubicon. Maybe Fordyce.

*without major body damage.

Also no lockers or winch
There is a pretty easy trail to the top of bald mountain near shaver lake, you go through tamarack snopark and it's fire roads and some small granite stair steps toward the top. Great view.

*without major body damage.

Also no lockers or winch
Oh. Well that’s different. There’s tons of trails. You’ll need to be a bit more specific as to location I guess.

Yea I saw that but I thought I’d ask here as well in case anyone else had different experiences elsewhere.

if your primary goal is for sight and seeing, the majority of CO and UT are stock friendly. For example, the popular alpine loop is stock friendly or if you look at the COBDR, those will go thru a lot of trails your truck will have no issues traversing. UT has a lot of epic destinations like the Swells or Canyonlands WRT.

Unless you're looking for a more challenging trail, then highly recommend the Wells trail guide books. They're trail rating is conservative so sticking with green keeps you out of potential rocker damage. You'd be surprised, a lot of these "green" trails actually have the better scenic locations. I'm pretty sure you'd be ok with blue trails but some of those will have spots that can cause costly rocker damage with a minor tire slip.

edit: too many trails, probably name a trail you want to do and see what folks here think if you'll be fine.

Last edited:
if your primary goal is for sight and seeing, the majority of CO and UT are stock friendly. For example, the popular alpine loop is stock friendly or if you look at the COBDR, those will go thru a lot of trails your truck will have no issues traversing. UT has a lot of epic destinations like the Swells or Canyonlands WRT.

Unless you're looking for a more challenging trail, then highly recommend the Wells trail guide books. They're trail rating is conservative so sticking with green keeps you out of potential rocker damage. You'd be surprised, a lot of these "green" trails actually have the better scenic locations. I'm pretty sure you'd be ok with blue trails but some of those will have spots that can cause costly rocker damage with a minor tire slip.

edit: too many trails, probably name a trail you want to do and see what folks here think if you'll be fine.
I was thinking of doing Pearl Pass in CO, or maybe Chimney Rock near Tucson.

I was thinking of doing Pearl Pass in CO, or maybe Chimney Rock near Tucson.
Ive done Pearl Pass, definitely top of my favorte CO passes . Most is stock friendly with good tires (its sharp rocks as you get higher). However there's one obstacle section that can potentially cause some damage, again if you slip off the line. Likely no issue when dry. I went thru it climbing down but i read that folks have a hard time climbing it and lockers may be needed. I can see why it is very uneven, flexy rock obstacle. Easily one of the nicer passes in CO plus it's almost zero traffic so you feel like you have it to yourself. Which sucks when you get stuck lol

20180808_151006.jpg

Pic doesnt do it justice, but you can see the potential for rocker damage if your truck chooses its own line

Last edited:
What size tires will you be running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom