Hard Tops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
as im sure yall have seen, i am the king of dumb *ss questions, so heres one more for the list. is it just me or is it a beast to get the hard top on and off an jf40, if its just me, please tell me how yall do it easier

Jonathan/SandRider

It took me 4 guys to take it off. You might be able to do it with 3, but 4 would be safer. You have to lift it straight up so the posts in the main body are free, then lift it up and over the body. Now you have to decide to break it down or store it whole. I would not leave it out unless you can protect it from the environments.

Ken

It is just you. And, seeing that you are the King, there's no use explaining the easy method to you! :D

haha, i've had it done by 3 people, and i took it off with 2, but do you think an engine hoist could be attached to it? maybge that would be a nice little solution

Have you ever used one?

No. The average engine hoist wouldn't have a boom long enough to reach the center of the hard top though.

Dave

hmmmm, well, darn hard-tops, oh well, guess it just comes to haveing a bunch of big friends that can carie this thing for me

Jonathan/SandRider

I've used an engine hoist to reinstall my hardtop when I couldn't round up another pal to help before the first snow storm of the year (which had started about the time I decided to install the top for the winter :D). Kind of a PITA to keep the top on the hoist. I think I clamped a 2x4 to the end of the fully extended hoist boom to form a "T". Then I dragged the top onto the boom to about 3' or so. Then I clamped the rear driprail to the boom with another 2x4 section so the top "became one with the hoist". Then I cranked the hoist up and prayed the top stayed on long enough to back the Cruiser under it. Took a couple trys but worked out pretty well IMHO. Oh, my Cruiser had a 4" lift, extended shackles and rode on 33's when I pulled this circus stunt. The hoist was a generic Harbor Freight job...

My prefered method of removal is to lift each side enough to slip a 4x4 between the tub and the top. Then I round up a helper and the 2 of us remove the top with little drama. The 4x4 allows you and your helper to get a decent grip on the top without worrying about it smashing your fingers if the first try or two isn't right.

HTH,
Nick Jennings

I took it off all by myself - with pulleys hooked to the garage rafters. If you do it right it's easy.

Steve H

P.S. put it back on too.

[quote author=SandRider link=board=1;threadid=15638;start=msg148399#msg148399 date=1083370328]
haha, i've had it done by 3 people, and i took it off with 2, but do you think an engine hoist could be attached to it? maybge that would be a nice little solution
[/quote]

When I did mine with an engine hoist, it was in two steps. First, off with the roof (which required 2 people to do easily), then bolt on a 2x4 through the 2nd set of bolt holes from the back. Balance was just right. Then I took the rest off alone with the hoist.

Just took mine off by myself and one other guy. Since I was going to break it down and store it inside anyway, we just unfastened all the bolt and took it off piece by piece. Individually the pieces really aren't that heavy just awkward to pull off without damaging. If you haven't removed the doors in a while, a second person helps to sort of rock the door up and down as you pound out the hinge pins.

RB

[quote author=SteveLCetc link=board=1;threadid=15638;start=msg148529#msg148529 date=1083381200]
I took it off all by myself - with pulleys hooked to the garage rafters. If you do it right it's easy.

Steve H

P.S. put it back on too.
[/qu
ote]

I use also use the garage rafters.....sometimes a big elm in my backyard...simple and safe!!![/quote]

my wife helped me the first couple of times...

she is 5'2" and had a hard time holding her corner high enough

for the post to clear the tub....garage rafters or big elm saved alot

o' yellin' heehee :slap:

keep workin' on it and you'll find away that suits ya'

Lon

This thing sure comes in handy when you need to pick something up.

Anyone know how many lb's the Hard top is?

All i know is its a B*tch to move it around, i think im gonna find a big tree and hook some pullies up to it, that might work well

Bet it is less than #200, because I can stand under it and lift with my back.

My son and I used to take the top off in one piece. Now I just take it apart at the sides. Leave the pieces across the front doors on the top, and the piece above the amby doors or remove the lift door from the hinges. Only issue is the gasket. It is a one piece. One the rear doors it will still be under the metal. I cut mine to make two side pieces and just use a dab of sealer to put back together when I put the top on for the winter. I hit the bolts and holes with wd40 when I pull it apart, no rust issues.

Attach a trailer winch to a rafter, 2 lengths of chain X'ed over the hard top, and get on a ladder and wind up the top. You need a high ceiling though. Hand winches for trailers are available at Lowes or Home Depot for $30, and hold 800 lbs. Keeps it stored in a nifty spot all summer aswell, off the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom