Hard shell RTT with Bowfin or Prinsu rack ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone running a hard shell RTT like a James Baroud or Maggiolina with a Bowfin or Prinsu roof top rack?

Can you post some pics? How did you mount your RTT to the rack?

We just purchased a James Baroud Grand Raid and are looking at racks right now. Really like the Bowfin design and profile. (Plus, he’s one of us.)

But our second choice rack, the Front Runner, has ready made mounts for Baroud and awnings, etc...

Thanks!

Bowfin>prinsu...I have prinsu

Bowfin sells mounts for tents. If you can bolt it to a front runner you should be able to bolt to bowfin

Just looked and baroud mounts just like other tents. Bowfin has a mount set that is on four corners should work perfect

Have you consided just running 3 load bars?

If your RTT is as big as mine there won't be any room to put anything on the rack, hence why I run load bars.

Thanks for the info and ideas! Keep ‘em coming.

I’m thinking rack because we want to also mount an awning. Either an ARB or a Foxwing.

Even with just yakima bars, you can still mount an awning. 2 bars is sufficient, 3 bars would be ideal. Bowfin is really nice but if that tent is staying there forever, you have no other use for it.

I mount our RTT (soft side, but the concept would work the same for a hard shell) on a Bowfin and have two extra dedicated 80/20 aluminum cross bars that stay permanently mounted to the tent. To mount, the tent is just dropped between the Bowfin side rails and all hardware connections are done from the side and easily accessible. 8 bolts and an Allen wrench and you are done.

Loading Tent on Bowfin.jpg

I mount our RTT (soft side, but the concept would work the same for a hard shell) on a Bowfin and have two extra dedicated 80/20 aluminum cross bars that stay permanently mounted to the tent. To mount, the tent is just dropped between the Bowfin side rails and all hardware connections are done from the side and easily accessible. 8 bolts and an Allen wrench and you are done.

View attachment 1942243

That’s pretty slick!

Do you have a close up of your 80/20 crossbars?

Like your lift off system as well. Thinking of something similar with a Harbor Freight electric hoist.

Thanks!

The cross bars are 1” x 2” T-Slot Structural Extruded Rails (80/20) cut to whatever length you need to fit between the side rails. The rails and attachment hardware are available from multiple vendors online. If you ordered the Bowfin rack I’m sure you could order extra rails.

One nice thing about the T-slot system is that you can mount nearly any accessory securely (hooks, L-track, solar, etc). The rail below has an ARB awning bracket mounted to it.

45641AD3-5BDB-43C9-8358-6C5D906F6C4C.jpeg

20180926_185806.jpg

I made these out of 1/2 aluminum and used stainless bolts for mounting my RTT

These are the brackets. Easy to reach

20190401_200336.jpg

20190401_200351.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom