Hard "clunk" when shifting into reverse and drive. 1989 FJ62. Doesn't happen all the time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chock wheels, shift vehicle into neutral, rotate rear driveshaft back and forth. See if the rear axle has a lot of play. Another possibility (and really probably most likely) is worn splines on your transfercase gear/output shaft.

Edit: I forgot, there is also the slip-joint on the driveshaft. There is a grease fitting on it. Try greasing that first.

Last edited:
Have you been keeping up with lubrication? My 60 has a thunk when starting from a stop, louder on passenger side, so I am thinking drive shaft. Been reading about greasing the slip yokes in the drive shafts.

Seems it is an issue on many rigs that was remedied with greaing.

I hope that helps.

My 62 has a very hard clunk when I put it in reverse, it’s shifts into gear hard enough that the whole vehicle will lurch backwards sometimes. Doesn’t do it in drive. The transfer case and transmission were rebuilt very recently and it hasn’t made it go away.

Good luck!

Have you checked the trans fluid level?

My 62 has a very hard clunk when I put it in reverse, it’s shifts into gear hard enough that the whole vehicle will lurch backwards sometimes. Doesn’t do it in drive. The transfer case and transmission were rebuilt very recently and it hasn’t made it go away.

Good luck!
Same here. Just got my TC rebuilt and "newer" trans put in. Trans shifts like butter now, but still getting the clunk in reverse even with the long spline from I got. Going to try greasing everything today.

Not very technical but I've found that this goes away completely if I press hard on the brake pedal when putting her in reverse. Now the only time I hear that clunk sound is when someone else is driving, which is rare.

The shifting "clunk" in the fj62 is generally caused by wear on the output shaft of the transmission where it goes into the transfer case. 30+ years of engaging in Reverse and Drive with the auto trans. wears the splines and there is now slack between the shaft splines and t-case gear splines.

There is a t-case gear known as the McNamara gear that has a longer inner spline body that engages fresh untouched splines on the output shaft. Makes everything tight again, "clunk" eliminated.

There may also be slack in the 30+ year old rear end that is amplifying the issue.

The shifting "clunk" in the fj62 is generally caused by wear on the output shaft of the transmission where it goes into the transfer case. 30+ years of engaging in Reverse and Drive with the auto trans. wears the splines and there is now slack between the shaft splines and t-case gear splines.

There is a t-case gear known as the McNamara gear that has a longer inner spline body that engages fresh untouched splines on the output shaft. Makes everything tight again, "clunk" eliminated.

There may also be slack in the 30+ year old rear end that is amplifying the issue.
Says he already has the long spline gear in the tcase

Thanks. I had my TC rebuilt and got a long spline shaft installed. Drove her about 80 miles today. Drove great until I idled for 5-10 minutes with my AC on and my engine damn near lost all power. Barely made it home. Going to look for some vacuum leaks, clean throttle body, basically give it all a good look over.

Hi, while discomforting,all mine have done it since almost new. Our fj80 has 400,000 miles and still going strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom