Harbor Freight / Badlands 12k Winch install on an 80 w/ ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in the 80 section and it was recommended that it would be useful here too. I finally finished installing the HF 12k winch on my 80 with an ARB bull bar.

I had some spacers (steel rectangle with two holes drilled) that were too short to line up so I had a machine shop cut them in half. I added a couple fender washers (stainless) and that gave me enough space to fit the ARB. (the winch is too wide to fit flush against the ARB)

I used two come alongs to lift the winch up and line it up behind the ARB - made it pretty easy to maneuver while holding the spacers in place and getting the bolts lined up. I hooked the winch cable onto the ARB with a shackle, which held the fairlead in place and kept it from dropping on my head.

It took me about 45 minutes in the rain to set it up, lift it, and bolt it on, including having some issues with the replacement nuts not being wide enough to hold themselves in place. (the stock nuts are larger and square, preventing them from turning with the bolts when you tighten them down - I picked up longer bolts at a hardware store and replacement washers and nuts as well, all stainless)

10wpdlv.jpg

2rmkqz7.jpg

Over the next couple evenings I finally had a chance to mount the control box and get the winch wired up. The box was too large to mount between the back of the winch and the grill. I turned the mounting brackets around, had to hook them on with the control box not attached, then reattach the control box. I used 2 1/2 inch #10 screws to mount the flat ends of the brackets to the ARB. I ran the winch to double check and it seems that there is enough clearance around everything so I should be good. I need to tighten down one last last nut now that I had a chance to see it in the daylight ;)

From the front - control box sits low and mostly protected from the front

Hope this helps!

Looks great! Good idea strapping it up to work on it easier. One thing I might suggest is using Grade 8 bolts instead of stainless. S.S. is weaker than standard ferrous, especially in shear strength which is what you are dealing with here. At the least it might be worth looking up the specs, might be just fine...

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

The bolts are not in shear. It is pulling against the bumper....

The bolts are not in shear. It is pulling against the bumper....
Yup that winch is mounted to the face of the bumper, 8274 style.

OP, can you comfortable reach that clutch lever as it sits? In the pics, it looks like it needs clocked into a better position.

I just got my badlands winch mounted up yesterday finally after figuring out what to do for bolts and spacers. Now I have to mess with the controller box since like you said it doesnt fit where they want it to go. I think I might get longer power cables and move the box to the side of the bumper.

It looks like you used the stock holes in the fairhead when you install it on the bumper. On my FJ62 ARB when I did that the fairhead didn't line up with opening in the bumper. I drilled new holes and moved fairhead up. I also replaced the pins on the short roller with long grade 8 bolts. I used longer bolts than I needed to so the nylon bushing would be running on bolt threads. I also used longer grade 8 bolts to mount the winch but kept the square nuts. I would be afraid hex nuts would spin making much harder to remove the winch later. My FJ62 lives in a garage in AZ so rust isn't a issue. With the ARB on a the FJ62 the control box clears the grill. Not worth the effort to spin the clutch handle, it's not the tight.

IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I'm installing the winch right now. Do I need to use a different Fairlead? I can bolt it on to the bumper but it looks like the cable would rub against the bottom of the opening in the bumper.

The 80 series ARB requires Warn #5742 roller fairlead or an offset hawse fairlead. Or you can drill new holes in the bumper.

I know this is an old thread but I'm installing the winch right now. Do I need to use a different Fairlead? I can bolt it on to the bumper but it looks like the cable would rub against the bottom of the opening in the bumper.

What I did with mine when the fairhead didn't line up was drill new holes in the fairhead mounting plate. Mainely because the holes I needed to use were also the lower mounting holes for the winch. I purchased longer grade bolts for the bottom holes. I also replace the two bolts for side roller pins. I bought lower then needed bolts so the bushing inside the roller was riding on smooth shaft and not threads. With the fairhead higher to match the opening it also located perfect to have those bolts go thru the holes in the top brace on the ARB.

014.JPG

Last edited:
I just installed this winch in my 80. I used the rugged ridge spacers and they worked great. For the control box I flipped the mounting brackets around and used some #10 2.5" stainless bolts to secure it. No need for longer cables. The bolts that came with the spacers are perfect length but they don't say what grade they are so I may just replace them with 8s.
I tested it by pulling myself across the front yard in neutral. Not a grueling test but proof of function at least.

For $250 (plus spacers), I'm happy.

20220508_190733.jpg

Last edited:
For the people who have this winch, how did you connect the fuse that comes with the winch to the positive on the battery? I just started wiring mine up yesterday and am ready to hook it up to the battery but I'm not sure about hooking that fuse up to the battery. It's oddly shaped and doesn't seem like it's going to fit to the positive battery post and within the battery box very well. If anybody has any pics they wouldn't mind sharing for this connection.

I just attached mine to the top post of the positive terminal.

For safety reasons I am leaving my negative wire attached but will only connect the positive before wheeling. I left the fuse bar attached.

In the near future I'll get an isolator switch and be able to leave it hooked up all the time

I recently installed the Badlands 12k w/ synth rope, and mine did not have a fuse of any sort. It did have a marine disconnect for the +12v, which I have not installed yet.

I recently installed the Badlands 12k w/ synth rope, and mine did not have a fuse of any sort. It did have a marine disconnect for the +12v, which I have not installed yet.
How did the install go? I have the ARB bumber and of course this puts the control box and clutch arm facing the engine. The winch does not fit snug against the bumper rather the outsides touch before the bolt holes.

How did the install go? I have the ARB bumber and of course this puts the control box and clutch arm facing the engine. The winch does not fit snug against the bumper rather the outsides touch before the bolt holes.
Hmm. I don't have an opinion on that.
My bumper is (possibly) an Ironman clone?
The winch mounted right side up (?), and I had no issues. There wasn't enough room for the Winch Controller, so I just used the remote mount kit, and used two self-tapping SS screws to screw it to the top of my bumper. The freespool lever is accessible through one of the square cutouts in the top of the bumper.

You can post some photos, but I would be thinking large thick washers as spacers to allow the winch to be bolted with no contact to the ends?

I removed my control box and turned the brackets around 180*. Then bent them a little upwards. Fits just fine now. Mine is the older steel cable winch, not the warn syn clone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom