HAMsters - March CSC Meeting, On The Air? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled a boneheaded move, I was convinced that testing was on Tuesday. This month's test was on Monday. :doh:

Oops! Check around with some other clubs. I'll bet you can find another doing testing before next month if you're willing to drive a bit.

That is the plan. The big bummer is one of my daughters was going to test with me. The bummer part is the endless jokes she is now making about my mistake.

Congratulations on your license! I'll be sending you a snail-mail gift over the next few days. Watch for it,
Thanks for that Thomas, much appreciated! Tom. What club are you involved with? My Elmer has not responded back and I have plenty of questions! Tom

I've been a past member of the West Valley Amateur Radio club, but also have friends on the Superstition Radio club out east. I've only had my license for a few years now, so don't consider myself to be an Elmer. For that, I recommend talking with the guys at HAM Radio Outlet - who have been an amazing resource for me when it comes to questions getting answered. Good luck, and welcome to the amateur radio sciences & arts.

I've been a past member of the West Valley Amateur Radio club, but also have friends on the Superstition Radio club out east. I've only had my license for a few years now, so don't consider myself to be an Elmer. For that, I recommend talking with the guys at HAM Radio Outlet - who have been an amazing resource for me when it comes to questions getting answered. Good luck, and welcome to the amateur radio sciences & arts.
Thanks Thomas. Here is a quick one; what exactly does 73 mean in ham speak? Also I was under the impression that one is NOT supposed to tie up repeaters but that club has routine times where folks call in on one of our local repeaters. Usually ties up repeater for like an hour. Was not aware that was “kosher” so to speak.

The signature "73" (*pronounced 'seven-three') is from the old 92 code table used by radio operators, and signifies the salutation "Best Regards". It's typically added to the end of a transmission as a kind of sign-off instead of saying good-bye or good-day - which is commonly used on aircraft bands to signify the end of a conversation.

I actually use "good-day" at the end of some HAM transmissions because it's second nature to me, but 73 is in widespread use amongst amateur radio operators.

On the repeater use; clubs hold net meetings on their own schedule and the WVARC holds theirs 2× daily at 9am and 8pm, each and every day. They usually run for an hour each, and include club QST messages at the bottom of the hour, occasional trivia or daily topic of discussion, and usually a 'This day in history' segment at the end. These meetings are club sponsored and run by volunteer club members for everyone. You don't have to be a member to join in, just have an active license, and when they call for check-ins, give them your name and callsign.

The only time a repeater owner may frown on activity is when someone - unaffiliated with the club which owns it - starts using it for their own purposes like holding meetings. If you want to hold court, join the club and get their permission. Throughout an average day, it's not unusual for people all over to chat with each other on the repeater. As long as it doesn't disrupt standing net meetings, nobody seems to care, as long as you're professional, give time for others to join or use the service, and identify yourself every 10min (FCC rule).

Here's the Code92 full book: 92 code - Amateur radio - BasicTables - https://www.basictables.com/amateur-radio/amateur-radio-codes/92-code

The signature "73" (*pronounced 'seven-three') is from the old 92 code table used by radio operators, and signifies the salutation "Best Regards". It's typically added to the end of a transmission as a kind of sign-off instead of saying good-bye or good-day - which is commonly used on aircraft bands to signify the end of a conversation.

I actually use "good-day" at the end of some HAM transmissions because it's second nature to me, but 73 is in widespread use amongst amateur radio operators.

On the repeater use; clubs hold net meetings on their own schedule and the WVARC holds theirs 2× daily at 9am and 8pm, each and every day. They usually run for an hour each, and include club QST messages at the bottom of the hour, occasional trivia or daily topic of discussion, and usually a 'This day in history' segment at the end. These meetings are club sponsored and run by volunteer club members for everyone. You don't have to be a member to join in, just have an active license, and when they call for check-ins, give them your name and callsign.

The only time a repeater owner may frown on activity is when someone - unaffiliated with the club which owns it - starts using it for their own purposes like holding meetings. If you want to hold court, join the club and get their permission. Throughout an average day, it's not unusual for people all over to chat with each other on the repeater. As long as it doesn't disrupt standing net meetings, nobody seems to care, as long as you're professional, give time for others to join or use the service, and identify yourself every 10min (FCC rule).

Here's the Code92 full book: 92 code - Amateur radio - BasicTables - https://www.basictables.com/amateur-radio/amateur-radio-codes/92-code
Many thanks for this Thomas. I have listened in a few times at 8PM.

Next Monday at 9p local - I'll try to attend as it sounds like a great group of guys. Looks like they're using RimLink repeater network? That's casting a wide net across most of populated AZ.

ON-AIR DETAILS: Mondays, 9:00 p.m. local time on the following linked repeaters:
Mt. Ord: 146.92(- offset, 162.2 Hz Tone)
Shaw Butte: 147.24(+, 162.2 Hz)
Scottsdale Airpark: 146.76(-, 162.2 Hz)
Usery Mountain: 146.86 (-, 162.2 Hz)
Mingus Mountain: 146.82 (-, 162.2 Hz)
Daisy Mountain: 448.375 (-, 100.0 Hz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom