Ham set up what antenna?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I am looking into a Yaseu FR-7900R . I understand that this radio can be opened up to the higher UHF freqs used by FRS GMRS radios. The only dual band antennas I can find go up to 440MHz. The FRS GMRS freqs are in the 462-478MHz.

Would using this antenna seriouly degrade the performance ? I was thinking of using duplexer so I could split up the VHF and UHF and use an UHF antenna correctly cut for these freqs.

What say you? Thanks

I am looking into a Yaseu FR-7900R . I understand that this radio can be opened up to the higher UHF freqs used by FRS GMRS radios. The only dual band antennas I can find go up to 440MHz. The FRS GMRS freqs are in the 462-478MHz.

Since what you are proposing is illegal, no one manufactures a ham antenna that covers the FRS band.

Would using this antenna seriouly degrade the performance ? I was thinking of using duplexer so I could split up the VHF and UHF and use an UHF antenna correctly cut for these freqs.

What say you? Thanks

My guess is that 70 CM (440) antenna would work fine to receive 462-478 MHz but you'd have to use an antenna analyzer to see what SWR would be to transmit. I doubt it would be good though. Why risk burning out the finals on an expensive ham radio, when you can buy an FRS radio for dirt cheap?

Ham set up

Illegal yes but I am trying to avoid having two radios but have as much interoperability as possible. I can find the antennas I need for each frequency range but need to find a duplexer. So far the only duplexer I found handles the UHF find but falls short on the VHF only going up to 170 not 174.

Now the question is does the duplexer cut out any transmissions over 170? or can I transmit on 174 but the signal not be optimal

Can't help with the duplexer. There are several companies that sell commercial UHF antennas tuned to various frequencies. Do a search on UHF antenna.

My trail buddy has an 8900 with a dual band 2m/70cm antenna from diamond. He can transmit and receive frs and grms just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom