HAM - info - callsign list - radio discussion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can add me to the list!
Name: Evan
Callsign: KJ7KKN
Vehicle: 1998 Landcruiser
Radio: Radioddity db25, Baofeng handheld
Antenna: 7900 dual band

Way to go! Your vanity call sign should be PRITYCRZR

Now that is a HAM radio! The rig is the size of a fridge! It was a good thing I had my tape measure for scale. :rofl:
HAM1.JPG
HAM2.JPG
HAM3.JPG
HAM4.JPG
HAM5.JPG

New Repeater in Gardiner, MT.

146.980, minus offset, 100Hz tone.

I was in Mammoth, WY, this weekend and keyed up the repeater. I think there's a few hams in that area that monitor the frequency, as I heard a bit of chatter over the weekend. Heard from a local Ham, the repeater can be picked up in Livingston, although I'm not sure how strong the signal is. At a Gallatin Ham Club meeting several months ago, the plan was to get the Gardiner repeater hooked into the MRLA repeater system from the tower at Bozeman. Not sure the timeframe for that.

Good to have one more channel programmed in the radio for emergencies (or chewing the fat) in that area.

New Repeater in Gardiner, MT.

146.980, minus offset, 100Hz tone.

I was in Mammoth, WY, this weekend and keyed up the repeater. I think there's a few hams in that area that monitor the frequency, as I heard a bit of chatter over the weekend. Heard from a local Ham, the repeater can be picked up in Livingston, although I'm not sure how strong the signal is. At a Gallatin Ham Club meeting several months ago, the plan was to get the Gardiner repeater hooked into the MRLA repeater system from the tower at Bozeman. Not sure the timeframe for that.

Good to have one more channel programmed in the radio for emergencies (or chewing the fat) in that area.

I always have luck on the 520 there... lots of grandpa's cruising through the park and a few anchor HAMs in the Gardiner area.

Slightly off topic: Have any of you used the military HUMMV tunable antenna bases for HAM? I think I have a couple of them in boxes with the vehicle whips from various previous projects. Specifically the AS-3900 RSV, I believe is the nomenclature.

I'm not familiar with that specific nomenclature, but the VHF military radios only operate in the 6m to 4m spectrum. Specifically, 30.000 to 87.975 MHz. So, not terribly useful for standard 2m comms.

Edit: Went and pulled my TM's. AS-3900 is the standard spring type antenna base. The coax that feeds from the bottom likes to get bent and snap off when the trucks are taken through vegetation. I've never once come back from the field without having broken antenna masts on at least 3 vehicles. I'm not really a fan of the fiberglass masts that go with those antenna bases. Sometimes water gets inside the joint between the two sections of the mast and freezes, which breaks the mast. That's why the TM says to put them together with grease. Nobody ever does. Also, if you don't safety wire the mast to the base, they like to come off on the highway.

Last edited:
We are talking about coms this first meeting back and specifically CB radios but I thought I would bump this and see if anyone else has passed their HAM exam?

@JohnnyOshow22 would you mind updating the members on the second post?

I'd like to make up some laminated cards for the club with everyone's call signs.

To be clear this meeting is about CB's since they are our club requirement and have the least time invested (no studying or exam or fee).

We are talking about coms this first meeting back and specifically CB radios but I thought I would bump this and see if anyone else has passed their HAM exam?

@JohnnyOshow22 would you mind updating the members on the second post?

I'd like to make up some laminated cards for the club with everyone's call signs.

To be clear this meeting is about CB's since they are our club requirement and have the least time invested (no studying or exam or fee).
Updated, if I missed someone let me know

Passed my Tech exam last night using the remote testing option they have now. Call sign hit the system this morning. I used HamStudy.org for study and practice, and It worked great. That’s also where you can sign up for the remote testing.

Name: Justin
Callsign: KJ7ZAK
Vehicle: 2001 Silver Landcruiser, 2017 Black Tundra
Radio: None Yet
Antenna: None Yet

That’s also where you can sign up for the remote testing.
Nice job! Did you happen to notice if you can sign up for General or Extra exams at the same place?

A good hands on learning experience offered from the Gallatin Ham Radio Club on March 5th. And a great opportunity to meet HAM gurus. Got this in my email.

The Gallatin Ham Radio Club will be hosting a mini QSO party after the test on Saturday March 5th. This event will be at the Search and Rescue Building at 219 E. Tamarack St. Bozeman Mt. If you are a new Ham and want to get on the air, this will be a great opportunity to try your hand at calling CQ on a 100 watt rig and multi band antenna! We will have some Elmers hanging out throughout the day to help guide and answer any questions you may have. This opportunity is not only for the test takers during that day but any local Ham, new or experienced, that may have never had a chance to try their hand at DX on a high powered machine. To make sure we don't get too crowded please email ...... to RSVP with your name, callsign, and the time you can make it to the Search and Rescue building that Saturday.
Please note that ANYONE can attend - you do not have to have your license to attend and join in the fun. Testing should conclude around 10:30 AM. Look forward to seeing you there at the Emergency Management Building.

I've excluded contact info for Matt who is organizing. PM me for his email, or you can contact GHRC directly, or Lax, or just show up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom