Ham antenna suggestions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, is there a downside (reception wise) on a mag mount?

For the most part no, the biggest issue you will have is placement. Mag mounts are good to be able to move the antenna around to get the best groundplane. I ran a mag mount for years on my old bronco with no issues on reception.

You do need to be careful when removing and storing your mag mount as it will find every metal shaving possible and that can cause damage over time to the paint. I store mine in ziplock bags when not in use.

Interesting option. I checked the prices and I don't think it fits Mace's description. :)
Sometimes you just get what you pay for. IME, the Diamond products are very high quality. A good antenna, good mount and good coax makes the system work, regardless of the radio. Without that you get Dixie cups and string.

I am not denying the importance of a quality antenna. As with a lot of things, we learn how to make compromises.
Even that Diamond mount can be seen as a compromise. Not in the best location possible, but does the job right. After all, if you run a Baofeng UV-5R, you can't really ask too much out of any possible setup.
As mentioned above, Mace (in this case) needs to figure out first what his radio is for, how and where it will be used. Get a 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, antenna? Repeaters close by? RTT? Trees?

Saw this 4Runner today in a parking lot and thought about the topic on hand.
CB antenna up front and HAM mag mount on the roof.

Again, a compromise in every aspect.
2016-04-16 14.17.01.jpg
2016-04-16 14.17.06.jpg

No, if on the roof, not blocked substantially by a metallic rack or RTT, no. If your RTT is transparent to RF, you are good to go.

I go back to the half wave antenna. It is very versatile. Mag mount on metal roof, clamped to a roof rack without a ground, mounted to a fiberglass shell, or mounted on the windsheild frame on a topless 40, it works in all cases, no drama. Not so with a 1/4 or 5/8 wave.

No down side to a mag mount, other than you will knock it off from time to time.

With that said, I've made my own mount and use a Larson 150 series, on 3 trucks, and for many reasons I feel it is the best on an on road/off road vehicle. THe diamond antennas are GREAT antennas, but too rigid when you're in brush or overhangs. ANd jumping out to fold down is a pain.

So larsen 1/2 on a mag mount should be a fairly reasonable setup then correct?

So larsen 1/2 on a mag mount should be a fairly reasonable setup then correct?

Should be fine if it's the steel whip type. Larsen also makes a spring that goes at the base of the antenna, that increases the flex. I'f you're building and tuning a custom mount, I'd run that too.

My truck has one of the old large ball mounts on the right rear of the tub. It's a CB mount with a ring connector that ties the center conductor of the coax to the antenna (once a 102" whip, now a 4' Firestick). The shielding of the coax is tied to another connector grounding it to the tub.

What I like about the ball is that it stays in place with the hardtop on or off. The chrome is peeling and it was pretty rusty - wouldn't surprise me if it dates to when the truck was new in 1977. But it cleaned up pretty good and has a sort of cool presence about it. To tell the truth though I've never gotten serious about trying to make the thing work as a CB even though I remounted the old Cobra 29ltd to the backside of my Tuffybox center console in a nice neat way.

I'd like to figure a way to use the ball for a new dual range (2 meter/70 cm) ham whip but as a CB I've never gotten the thing below 1.7:1 SWR and suspect that the connection might be the culprit. I had about the same results with a Wilson short whip with one of those easy screw in-out adjustments.

So are bare wire connections, as opposed to a usual SO-239/PL-259, workable at all? Are they ill advised for vhf/uhf use? Or what?

I'd like to figure a way to use the ball for a new dual range (2 meter/70 cm) ham whip but as a CB I've never gotten the thing below 1.7:1 SWR and suspect that the connection might be the culprit. I had about the same results with a Wilson short whip with one of those easy screw in-out adjustments.

So are bare wire connections, as opposed to a usual SO-239/PL-259, workable at all? Are they ill advised for vhf/uhf use? Or what?

There is no reason you can't use the ball mount for a 2m/70cm antenna. Larsen makes 3/8th x 24 thread antennas but the 3/8 style doesn't lend itself to 70cm very well there are some resonant issues that could happen with there so performance might be less that optimal . 2 meters should work just fine.

There is no reason you can't use the ball mount for a 2m/70cm antenna. Larsen makes 3/8th x 24 thread antennas but the 3/8 style doesn't lend itself to 70cm very well there are some resonant issues that could happen with there so performance might be less that optimal . 2 meters should work just fine.

Thanks Josh.

I'm seeing that new stainless versions of the same ball are available in my DX catalog and there's a host of adapters apparently designed to make a coax connection easier, so maybe I'll buy all new hardware if I can figure out what I'll need to make it work.

I'm still kind of queezy about having the connection be an open wire affair. In a moist environment and particularly in an FJ40 it seems like an open invitation to water incursion to the system with a lossy sort of result.

Still, using the ball instead of my previous on again/off again magnet mount and removing the CB altogether would be a good thing.

Jon, I like the look of that Comet SSB1. Another I am tempted to try is the Laird B132S 1/4 wave. http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-b132s-766.html
As I said earlier in this thread, it comes down to intended use and mounting location. Here in the northeast we have to deal with tight trails and low hanging trees. That's the primary reason I went with the Comet shorty. When I was out in Moab I ran my 1/2 wave Diamond all week and it was untouched.

I ran a mag mount for a long while... and glad I did... because it helped me figure out that the roof wasn't a good option for me. Not only would I have to take it off pulling into my garage and then putting back on after I pull out, I would regularly knock it off while driving off road.

I started putting it on the front bumper and that worked reasonably well. When I finally got around to a permanent setup on my front bumper, I went for a Diamond 1/2 wavelength for 2m / 1/4 wavelength at 70cm, designed for "radial less" operation. I am pleased with its performance.

My bumpers are tube designs. For the mag mount, I just put it on a light tab. For the permanent mount, I drilled two holes in a small bar of steel... used one hole to bolt into the light tab and the other for the antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom