H55f behind 6BT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Firstly happy new year to you all. I have started to swap my old 2H engine with Cummins 6BT. 6BT is a really common engine here (in Turkiye), and easy to find parts for it. Also, the purpose of the swap is to find an engine that has lots of easy-to-find spare parts and can handle the towing of my one metric-ton offroad camper.

However, although Cummins is very common, it is so difficult to find a suitable transmission and transfer case for it. So I am going to use my H55F and transfer case in my project. I have good or bad ideas on connecting the tranny to the engine (probably using two flywheels and an adapter, (i think another bad idea =) ).

I know 6BT is a beast. Currently, I am detuning the beast a little bit.

The question is how bad this idea is and whether you have any foresight about what will go wrong. I think the first failure point is the clutch course. I am going to use the 2H clutch, and if in any wrong move probably, 6BT turns the H55F into a blender, and tranny oil turns to the gear smoothly.

Have an excellent year to you all again,

Thanks,

Don't load it up in 5th gear. 1-4 are reasonable but a H15# would be better.

any foresight about what will go wrong

Never use 5th gear for one.
The 5th gear on the H55F is a shockingly little thing. Your 6BT definitely has the torque to obliterate it.

Toyota 2H engine torque:
177 ft-lbs

Cummins 6BT engine torque:
420 ft-lbs

Tesekkurler Dostum, Thanks, everyone, for your answers. Possibly next week, I will merge the h55f with 6bt. Wish me luck. I will inform you here and in a build thread.

Why the H55 over the NV4500? Just curious.

Why the H55 over the NV4500? Just curious.
Finding NV4500 is nearly impossible in Turkiye. Finding a suitable adapter or making it for the TC is impossible, even if I find it. This is why I am using the H55F. I try to find alternative transmissions like ZF or Allison; however, the same building adapters need a good mechanic that I don't have, and I am not (i am just a computer engineer who is in love with land cruiser 60 in friends garage)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom