H and low range question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my rig for 6yrs now and have not ever had to use the "low range". all this bad weather we've had recently I wondered how I could better enjoy my rig. I do have the factory lockers as well..

basically how does the locker work? when can I use it? and same with the "low range"...essentially I want more traction in the snow.

Last edited:
The manual does a great job of describing the appropriate use of this. If you dont have one a quick search will turn up electronic copies for download.

The manual does a great job of describing the appropriate use of this. If you dont have one a quick search will turn up electronic copies for download.

Thanx!! I actually have a manual...read it today, but didn't read anything about using the lockers or how to...i'll have to give it another read..again, thanx!!

High vs Low range, and factory lockers

I'm sure theirs someone more qualified to describe the functions of lockers, and when to use low and high range, but I'll give you my understanding. I remember I was confused by the manual when I was trying to figure it out myself as well.

For on road use I don't think you'll ever need to switch the lc from High to Low. The only time you'll ever need to switch into low gear is if you find yourself off roading driving up relatively rough trails. (something more than just a dirt road). I can't say i've played around with the mechanics, but I believe it shifts the car into a lower gear that gives the lc more torque at a lower rpm. I've used the low gear function several times off road and found it helps the truck over obstacles without requiring you to rev the engine up. In low gear the truck will only go about 10/15 mph. (btw, if your switching into low, be sure to put the truck into neutral)

Regarding factory lockers.. again the only time you ever want to use them is off road. Theres tons of good info on how these work, but essentially they "lock" either the rear or front wheels so the are forced to turn at the same rate. While driving over rock, gravel etc, if one rear wheel is slipping or in to air slipping, the truck will send all the power to that wheel trying to gain traction, only sending the other wheel a small amount of torque to the wheel with traction. i.e. 80/20 difference between wheels. Lockers lock both wheels forcing each to spin at the same rate. Only one wheel needs to have traction the pull yourself out. You should never want to use lockers on a surface with lots of traction like a road, b/c you risk pulling winding up/ and destroying your axle. (check this link for more info) http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm.

80 series faq:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/84888-faq-80-lx450-nov-2013-added-shaky-mirror-fix.html

btw, I've never tried it, but its not recommended to use lockers on ice because you can end up driving off the road. check out the 80's faq :beer:

Just a note or 2:

- I find I want to use Park to switch from H to L and back. If not, I think it might grind a bit in certain cases.

- I'd never lock the rear (or front for that matter) on the road even with deep snow. Perhaps offroad in snow but not on roads. Offroad yes in mud or questionable traction conditions.

If you want to use low range and lockers, I suggest offroading in the Spring and with a 4x4 club to show you the ropes.

^ I second this suggestion. If you look towards the top of page there is a red tab that says clubhouse. Click on it and find whatever one is closest to you. Get in touch with some local members and go on an outing with them. They will teach you how to better utilize your rig and make you a more confident driver. Who knows you may need those skills someday.

For on road use I don't think you'll ever need to switch the lc from High to Low. The only time you'll ever need to switch into low gear is if you find yourself off roading driving up relatively rough trails. (something more than just a dirt road).
LOL:
If you drive really steep grades on secondary roads with a trailer in tow, you will use low range a lot! I often encountered grades so steep that the truck is much happier with extra low gearing.

I just wish it was shift on the fly, since you are forced to stop at the top of the grade, which is not always practical.

Plus at extreme altitude, it just makes sense to use Low whenever possible to stop lugging the engine so much. If the first/ second shift lurch bothers you , punch the second gear button and start off in second. It is still a lower ratio than first gear High.

Obviously, you must do the center diff mod to prevent the diff from locking on hard surfaces.....

To the OP - I can't believe any 80 owner could go six years without ever using low range...... why exactly did you buy this truck?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

There are some tips on using lockers here:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Rule of thumb for low range: low range is about torque and control. Torque to get you over major obstacles (or ascents, as above) without under-revving the engine, and control, meaning that you can more carefully move yourself along your chosen line, where a higher gear ration would try to throw you alson too quickly.

Locker are when, without lockers engaged, you try to cross something and you get stuck because one wheel loses traction. Generally, don't drive with lockers on (they can create problems too). Engage them when you slip, and disengage them when you are past the obstacle.

Geof

I'm glad to hear for someone that has clearly used it more than I have.. :hillbilly:

my goodness you guys are all great and have helped a lot in answering my questions.
Thanks very much!!:D

LOL:
If you drive really steep grades on secondary roads with a trailer in tow, you will use low range a lot! I often encountered grades so steep that the truck is much happier with extra low gearing.

I just wish it was shift on the fly, since you are forced to stop at the top of the grade, which is not always practical.

Plus at extreme altitude, it just makes sense to use Low whenever possible to stop lugging the engine so much. If the first/ second shift lurch bothers you , punch the second gear button and start off in second. It is still a lower ratio than first gear High.

Obviously, you must do the center diff mod to prevent the diff from locking on hard surfaces.....

To the OP - I can't believe any 80 owner could go six years without ever using low range...... why exactly did you buy this truck?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

well, as you can attest an 80 is pretty much very capable as is in "default settings" so I never had any use for it since I've never done any serious off-roading where it might be needed. As to why I bought my rig...well...its one of the best ever made!!....lol, having lived in a few other countries outside the states I've watched the evolution of the land-cruiser and I just feel in love with it. when it came time to buy a second vehicle for work and to haul things with I simply had no other choice...irregardless of what I could afford. I had to go back to the cruiser.
I don't have to tell you this but its truly one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.. my wife loves it and despite the gas mileage we just cant bring ourselves to part with it.

Not sure anyone came right out and said it, but you're doing exactly the right thing keeping it in high range and not (axle-)locked on snow. Lockers and low range really won't help in snow, unless you slide off and need to extract yourself from the ditch.

Being able to selectively lock the center diff lock is also a good thing to have. Search for CDL and "7 pin mod" as terms and that will get you to the applicable info. I'm not absolutely certain they apply to your 94, but the info will sort it out or ask here again. The earlier years came with it, while us later model year folks had to do it ourselves to make it selective in high range. You may already have the button on the dash. I'm up too late to be making total sense here...:p

What the locked CDL does for you in snow in high range is make the truck behave like an old-fashioned 4x4. The front and rear driveshafts turn at the same speed. This can be helpful in certain snow and ice conditions, as the AWD may start losing traction. Experiment with it some in a safe location before you head tensely into a blizzard, but you may find it useful at times.

BTW, no shame in limited Low Range time. Life has been keeping me busy and our truck has seen far too little trail time, which is one of my New Year's resolutions to correct.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom