GX470 vs 4G 4Runner Cargo Space for Sleeping Platform? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll confirm the drawers in the morning, the mattresses are ER styker bed mattress. I got them when I worked maintenance at a hospital.
That would be great thank you. If you wouldn’t mind also measuring the max length/width for a mattress I’d really appreciate that too. I tried looking up those mattresses but couldn’t find anything. Looks really great though. Did you build it yourself?

Yes I built them, but I’m thinking about redoing them.
I’m thinking about doing something completely different then I’ve seen before.
The mattress 27 wide x 74 long
The box (outside) 41.75 wide x 36 deep

Okay great, that’s good to hear. I’m only 5 8” so I’m sure there will be more than enough room for me. Overall how do you like the GX? I was originally set on a 4th gen 4Runner but now the more I look into it, I’m really leaning towards the GX. They honestly can be found for cheaper than a 4G 4R where I live, so I really can’t think of a solid reason why I wouldn’t get the GX over the 4R. Apart from the 4R being a bit lighter, I don’t really see any major benefits to it over the Gx.

I had a GX470 for several years and just recently got an '04 4R V8. I think both are fantastic, and you can't go wrong with either.

If you get a GX, plan to replace the rear air suspension + electronically-controlled shocks, either when the air springs fail or for a lift. No air suspension on 4R.

Much easier to find a non-nav 4R than GX. If you read this forum, gxor, and IG, you know that the GX nav caused COVID, may contribute to mental disorders, and just generally makes the vehicle undriveable (rolls eyes). Point is, it's much easier to upgrade sound system in a non-nav, and non-nav 4R's are more plentiful. (I am one of the freaks who loved the ML system in the GX.)

The 4R has much more usable storage + bins up front than the GX, and bona fide cup holders. However, the ergonomics of the 4R fall short of the GX, such as the window/door switches on the driver's door. And the lack of theater lighting in the 4R, which the GX has, makes it hard at night to find the right button. O and the 4R front map lights do not come on when opening the door, this requires a quick/easy mod to fix.

The 4R 2nd row, as noted previously, fold up much more elegantly than the GX and you get a flat surface. I'm 5' 11" and can easily lie down.

Subjectively, I find the GX body has aged beautifully, a timeless design and every time I see one I smile. The 4R looks great from every angle that does not include the front end.

Just find either one that has maintenance records and has been cared for, that's most important. There are +/- to both, but in the end they are nits really since it's the same platform.

I had a GX470 for several years and just recently got an '04 4R V8. I think both are fantastic, and you can't go wrong with either.

If you get a GX, plan to replace the rear air suspension + electronically-controlled shocks, either when the air springs fail or for a lift. No air suspension on 4R.

Much easier to find a non-nav 4R than GX. If you read this forum, gxor, and IG, you know that the GX nav caused COVID, may contribute to mental disorders, and just generally makes the vehicle undriveable (rolls eyes). Point is, it's much easier to upgrade sound system in a non-nav, and non-nav 4R's are more plentiful. (I am one of the freaks who loved the ML system in the GX.)

The 4R has much more usable storage + bins up front than the GX, and bona fide cup holders. However, the ergonomics of the 4R fall short of the GX, such as the window/door switches on the driver's door. And the lack of theater lighting in the 4R, which the GX has, makes it hard at night to find the right button. O and the 4R front map lights do not come on when opening the door, this requires a quick/easy mod to fix.

The 4R 2nd row, as noted previously, fold up much more elegantly than the GX and you get a flat surface. I'm 5' 11" and can easily lie down.

Subjectively, I find the GX body has aged beautifully, a timeless design and every time I see one I smile. The 4R looks great from every angle that does not include the front end.

Just find either one that has maintenance records and has been cared for, that's most important. There are +/- to both, but in the end they are nits really since it's the same platform.
Thank you for your insight, it’s helping me with my decision. Yeah if I get the GX I definitely will immediately replace the airbags with coils. I also am aware of the navigation problem for upgrading. It’s for sure a concern of mine because having my phone integrated into the head unit and an easily upgradable stereo is a major priority for me. There’s a couple gxs in my price range right now but unfortunately they are navigation ones. Might just hold off til a non nav comes around because I know it’s very pricey and troublesome to replace it.

Regarding the 4R, is the extra storage just mainly in the middle console and glovebox areas? Because if so that’s definitely not a deal breaker for me. Also, I’m planning on building a raised storage area and platform bed so the manner in which the 2nd row seats fold down isn’t that important to me. As long as I’m able to fit a platform over it. If you had to get rid of the GX or the 4R and could only have one daily driver/do it all vehicle, which one would you keep? Thanks again.

Yes I built them, but I’m thinking about redoing them.
I’m thinking about doing something completely different then I’ve seen before.
The mattress 27 wide x 74 long
The box (outside) 41.75 wide x 36 deep
Thanks so much for taking those measurements, that helps me out a lot. Seems like there’s more than enough space for me. What are ya thinking about doing for your next build? Anything you don’t like about your current setup?

I'm 6' and I just fit in (legs stretched) with the second row seat removed. I built a little platform to span the foot well and used some old carpet to cover. If you're doing a drawer system, this isn't really relevant, just using it for visual.

I’m 6’ as well, do you think the platform idea that is at least the height of the 2nd row seats folded is going to be enough legroom for me? Or should I just sleep in the passenger seat. LOL

Thankfully my wife is 5’6” so she’s got no problems Haha

I’m thinking about taking the second row seats out to make room for a refrigerator, on that side the box will be the hight of the fridge. The other side will be lower and go all the way to the driver seat with a removable center so you can sit inside in bad weather.

They work great I just need more storage and a fridge.

I’m 6’ as well, do you think the platform idea that is at least the height of the 2nd row seats folded is going to be enough legroom for me? Or should I just sleep in the passenger seat. LOL

Im right at 6 foot I move the front seat forward a little and I fit fine.

Thank you for your insight, it’s helping me with my decision. Yeah if I get the GX I definitely will immediately replace the airbags with coils. I also am aware of the navigation problem for upgrading. It’s for sure a concern of mine because having my phone integrated into the head unit and an easily upgradable stereo is a major priority for me. There’s a couple gxs in my price range right now but unfortunately they are navigation ones. Might just hold off til a non nav comes around because I know it’s very pricey and troublesome to replace it.

Regarding the 4R, is the extra storage just mainly in the middle console and glovebox areas? Because if so that’s definitely not a deal breaker for me. Also, I’m planning on building a raised storage area and platform bed so the manner in which the 2nd row seats fold down isn’t that important to me. As long as I’m able to fit a platform over it. If you had to get rid of the GX or the 4R and could only have one daily driver/do it all vehicle, which one would you keep? Thanks again.

Yeah the storage I'm referring to is for the driver - center console. Never thought it'd be an issue, but the GX skimps compared to the 4R.

There's 1 reason I would take a 4R V8 over a GX: rear door + rear window. Silly as it sounds, I never cared for the GX rear door and solid window and found it limited what I could carry and was quite awkward at times. Since you're going to sleep in yours, you might want to think about whether that matters to you as well.

Yeah the storage I'm referring to is for the driver - center console. Never thought it'd be an issue, but the GX skimps compared to the 4R.

There's 1 reason I would take a 4R V8 over a GX: rear door + rear window. Silly as it sounds, I never cared for the GX rear door and solid window and found it limited what I could carry and was quite awkward at times. Since you're going to sleep in yours, you might want to think about whether that matters to you as well.
Okay cool thats what I thought. I feel like both of those reasons aren’t deal breakers for me, although the rear window sure would be nice. For my use, I just can’t think of too many instances of where I’d really hate the swinging door. I think the more headroom for sleeping and being inside would maybe be worth it. Can you open the rear door from inside the cabin?

I don’t find the roll down rear window a big plus. I would rather have a fold down table and cubby storage in the rear door. Different strokes

I don’t find the roll down rear window a big plus. I would rather have a fold down table and cubby storage in the rear door. Different strokes
Yeah I agree. I think those benefits definitely outweigh any negatives, at least for me. Is there a latch that allows you to open the gate from the inside by chance?

There are write ups somewhere here on an interior emergency door release for the rear cargo door. I plan to do mine soon. Already have the rear panel off. I’m going to build a fold down table, emergency release inside and a paracord handle for the broken factory handle.

The rear door to me was a pain: in the garage, parked on a city street, really anywhere there's tight quarters onroad or offroad. I had to cart some very long pieces of reedgrass (think bamboo) the other night, rolled the 4R rear window down and threw 'em in. Someone will say, throw it on the rack - but these would have broken as they were +8 ft long (I didn't want 4 ft pieces) and some as small as 1" diameter and I had a +70mph highway slog.

But yeah, different strokes. I don't know that the rear door is a dealbreaker one way or another, but for general daily use, having owned both now, the 4R is far superior. My dog loves it too.

I agree with @landwagon. My head is pretty close to the ass end of driver's seatback when I'm on the floor. It would probably be pretty tight on a platform above the folded second row, but you could just move the front seat or seatback forward to get some additional room.

The rear door to me was a pain: in the garage, parked on a city street, really anywhere there's tight quarters onroad or offroad. I had to cart some very long pieces of reedgrass (think bamboo) the other night, rolled the 4R rear window down and threw 'em in. Someone will say, throw it on the rack - but these would have broken as they were +8 ft long (I didn't want 4 ft pieces) and some as small as 1" diameter and I had a +70mph highway slog.

But yeah, different strokes. I don't know that the rear door is a dealbreaker one way or another, but for general daily use, having owned both now, the 4R is far superior. My dog loves it too.
Yeah I definitely can see how it would be a pain, especially trying to load and unload while parked parallel to the sidewalk. However that being said, I like the idea of having a fold down cooking table from the rear hatch and I dont think its a deal breaker for me. That being said, are you saying the 4R is better for general daily use solely in terms of the rear hatch? Or is there other major advantages? I appreciate your insight.

Yeah I definitely can see how it would be a pain, especially trying to load and unload while parked parallel to the sidewalk. However that being said, I like the idea of having a fold down cooking table from the rear hatch and I dont think its a deal breaker for me. That being said, are you saying the 4R is better for general daily use solely in terms of the rear hatch? Or is there other major advantages? I appreciate your insight.

What I'm saying is I find the 4R rear hatch makes for a more usable vehicle. If you don't haul long things, don't have a dog, don't park in the city / parking garage / home garage / parking lots, don't want or need the roll-down rear window, it's mostly moot. If your priority is a swing-down table, MOLLE system etc on the back door, tire/rack mount on the rear door, the GX is better.

I haven't slept in mine yet, but my wife is making me a screen for the back window so I can sleep there and enjoy the superb ventilation (and have an escape hatch).

I absolutely loved my GX! I just find the 4R to be more flexible and useful every day.

Hope this makes sense?

Before I bought my GX I was looking for an LX as well. I’ve always been curious how people like the double door hatch on that. Looks interesting

Before I bought my GX I was looking for an LX as well. I’ve always been curious how people like the double door hatch on that. Looks interesting

I had an 80 w/ the tailgate/upper hatch - that is the perfect setup! I used to sleep in it very comfortably, and just found it so useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom