GX470 to Prado Tail Light Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a quick summary of the Prado tail conversion. Purchased depot tail lights on Ebay, sockets from japan and bulbs from Autozone. One of the hardest part is deciding how you want the tail lights to function. As for me, I decided to use Red top cavity as STOP (of course). Middle cavity as blinkers/turn signal. Bottom as driving lights.

Then reverse engineering the wiring yielded these new pinouts for the connector wires:
GX470 to Prado Taillight Pin Remap.PNG

Repinning them is faily easy, I just used a fine tip tweezer to unlatched the pins from the from of the connector and pulled the wire out of the pin cavity.

Blow are the pictures with the above pinouts:

63313326679__2D8414D5-C10C-4312-A42E-596F141549E4.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg
IMG_4042.jpg
IMG_4043.jpg

Cool write up. Any advantages to the swap or just for aesthetics?

Nice, what will you use the OEM reverse lights for? I am adding them to my Prado but undecided about what I actually want to do with them. Maybe RED high powered LEDs to really get attention when you brake?

Also tempted to use the aftermarket LED tails I have to put into a pair of clear/smoked aftermarket GX tails. (I like the shape of the GX tails better but the actual LED design is nicer on the Prados)

s-l400.jpg

(Cram the internals of this into a clear/smoked GC housing)

Just a quick summary of the Prado tail conversion. Purchased depot tail lights on Ebay, sockets from japan and bulbs from Autozone. One of the hardest part is deciding how you want the tail lights to function. As for me, I decided to use Red top cavity as STOP (of course). Middle cavity as blinkers/turn signal. Bottom as driving lights.

Then reverse engineering the wiring yielded these new pinouts for the connector wires:View attachment 2562904

Repinning them is faily easy, I just used a fine tip tweezer to unlatched the pins from the from of the connector and pulled the wire out of the pin cavity.

Blow are the pictures with the above pinouts:

View attachment 2562905
View attachment 2562906View attachment 2562908View attachment 2562909
@peteredwinlopez Sweet dude!

Well getting all the pieces together to prep my swap, I realize that the sockets are different so I need to source those.
Any chance you have info or a link to the sockets? I'm going to do standard lighting (I. E. Reverse on bottom).

PXL_20220813_223121509.jpg
PXL_20220813_223554961.jpg

Nivermind... ;)

*EDIT, per amaya, here are socket PNs.
1660927141543.png
1660927210117.png

and Prado tail sockets sockets from Aliexpress:
1660932970068.png

These are just sockets as the wiring per socket is on the taillight. Some aftermarket wire harnesses wire each socket,.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom