GX470 Rear Door Gas Strut / Spring Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For all those wondering - I bought the FJ Cruiser locking strut and installed it.

I have a fold down table on my rear hatch and the extra 10* makes a difference when cooking at the back of the truck.

I would say the FJ mod is not worth the cost/result.
Do you have any photos of your table?
Sounds like the FJ strut just isn't quite a right fit, too much modding for the mod. Relocate and fab or mod the brackets and reconfigure mounting to make the strut's length work for a different door? good on you for trying and reporting though. Seems like a good idea, being same chassis, but sounds like configurations are different enough it's not a straight swap.

Anyone found a replacement strut for the one listed now that it is no longer available?

I ordered from lift support depot but they cancelled my order because the correct strut is out of stock. Not sure if indefinitely or if they’ll be back? Since then, have tried three different struts that haven’t fit correctly. Bought one from McMaster-Carr that was too long and didn’t compress enough so the door won’t shut. Went to auto zone and bought a shorter one that was still too long and also didn’t compress enough. Took it back and exchanged for a shorter one still. It works but the door flies open and doesn’t open all the way since the extended length is too short. The correct size and pounds is definitely important and I’d love to figure out an alternative too if lift support despot isn’t going to stock the correct one anymore!

The support depot part number show NLA across all sellers

Can anyone give extended and compressed lengths for the proper strut size? Maybe an alternate can be sourced elsewhere.

The Lift Supports Depot part # was SE244P40

Quick part number search on eBay:

SE244P40 | eBay

Screenshot_2019-02-01-16-07-19.png

Part number search on Lift Supports Depot displays the compressed and extended lengths and the force of push. If one is found elsewhere, just make sure it has these dimensions and force and the 10mm easy-snap ball sockets on both ends.

Part Number Search

***EDIT***

This one has the correct dimensions and force, and seems to have ball sockets although they are different from mine. Perhaps it having metal ends instead of plastic it is superior in quality and therefore supersedes the other part number, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Lift Supports Depot SE244P40M10 Gas Charged Multi Purpose Lift Support

And this one appears to be identical to mine with the quick connect 10mm nylon sockets, but the picture they have is lousy...

Lift Supports Depot SE244P40EZ10 Gas Charged Multi Purpose Lift Support

Last edited:
figure everyone who has tried the mod in here has seen or has a stock mechanism out of the door.

can a half way notch be cut into the stock bracket to make it lock also in the half way open position? I know there's a little friction pressure cam lobe of sorts that makes a little resistance at half way, but any way to make the push bar lock there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom