Gx470 prerunner build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a gx and I've seen a few 4th gen 4runners built for prerunner type use. Was hoping others could have some input.
Wanting to longrtravel the ifs
Go no larger than 34" tires maybe 33"
No more than 2.5" lift.
Remove lower front crossmember and add prerunner front bumper.
Hoping to keep it light and not regear.
Any help or experience with this type of setup would be appreciated

Just bought a gx and I've seen a few 4th gen 4runners built for prerunner type use. Was hoping others could have some input.
Wanting to longrtravel the ifs
Go no larger than 34" tires maybe 33"
No more than 2.5" lift.
Remove lower front crossmember and add prerunner front bumper.
Hoping to keep it light and not regear.
Any help or experience with this type of setup would be appreciated
Would like to build it on 2.5" long upper lower arms and looking into king for suspension.

Check out the tacomaworld long travel forum, way more tech there than here on long travel set ups. The front suspension is mostly the same between all the 120 platform vehicles and the Tacoma except the 4runner and GX uses a different ball joint taper for the upper control arm to knuckle connection so you have to use a 4runner/GX specific upper control arm/ kit unless your kit uses fabbed spindles (knuckles). JD fab makes a pretty impressive kit that’s all chromo and uses high quality sealed ball joints and pivots. They also make a lower pivot kit that replaces the LCA mounts and cam bolts, and secondary shock mounts etc and carry King coilovers. Worth checking out.

You need to consider if you want to use the 120 steering rack or a kit that uses a 200 series or Tundra rack. The 120/ Tacoma racks are problematic with big tires and go fast stuff. Other considerations are what CVS you want to run: stock with extended axles, 934s, or RCVs. Also consider if the stock spindle with Gus setting is sufficient or if you want a fabbed knuckle. This will help you decide which kits best fit your needs.

I don’t think you can remove the front crossmember, the radiator hangs down lower on the V8 GX than other 120 platforms.

Check out the tacomaworld long travel forum, way more tech there than here on long travel set ups. The front suspension is mostly the same between all the 120 platform vehicles and the Tacoma except the 4runner and GX uses a different ball joint taper for the upper control arm to knuckle connection so you have to use a 4runner/GX specific upper control arm/ kit unless your kit uses fabbed spindles (knuckles). JD fab makes a pretty impressive kit that’s all chromo and uses high quality sealed ball joints and pivots. They also make a lower pivot kit that replaces the LCA mounts and cam bolts, and secondary shock mounts etc and carry King coilovers. Worth checking out.

You need to consider if you want to use the 120 steering rack or a kit that uses a 200 series or Tundra rack. The 120/ Tacoma racks are problematic with big tires and go fast stuff. Other considerations are what CVS you want to run: stock with extended axles, 934s, or RCVs. Also consider if the stock spindle with Gus setting is sufficient or if you want a fabbed knuckle. This will help you decide which kits best fit your needs.

I don’t think you can remove the front crossmember, the radiator hangs down lower on the V8 GX than other 120 platforms.
Thanks for the advice.
I've seen a 4th gen 4r with a tundra rear and canoe 4 point lower links, front ens has custom arms with horizontal uniball with 10" wider stance.
Thats what I'm leaning towards

Sorry the super late reply, but thanks for the advice.

Tons of options for long travel stuff, solo motorsports, wicked creations, total chaos, etc. You just might have to look for 4th gen 4r kits, which share the same front end, as not everyone offers GX specific stuff.

and 34's are gonna require basically the same work as 35's, just go big :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom