GX470 front seat uncomfortable (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 2004 GX last summer and am driving it more this year. Unfortunately, on highway runs the seat becomes uncomfortable for me after 30 minutes or so. My right hip goes numb and starts hurting, and the pain carries down the outside of my leg.

I've tried different seating positions (up down fore aft angle up or down) with or without lumbar, and can't find the position that would eliminate this problem for me. Putting it on cruise control and moving my right leg around alleviates but does not completely eliminate the problem.

I'm 6' and 220lbs so pretty average I would think. Just turned 60. I don't have chronic leg or hip issues. I don't feel this pain in my other car.

Can those seats wear out or become slanted toward the door? I'm thinking something has to be out of whack or I'm not doing something right in adjusting the seating position, because a car of this quality should NOT give a driver discomfort from sitting.

Any ideas or suggestions?

The bolster on the door side on most vehicles wears, it's where you slide in and out. Run by an auto upholstery shop and see if they can repair that side, should be able to get new foam in there for you.

Yes I can see there is some wear on the left side bolster because of in and out. Some surface cracking on the leather too. That's the impression I get, that the seat feels a bit slanted toward the door because of that worn bolster. Maybe this is putting undue strain on my right hip because of lack of support on left side?

Thanks Kyle for pointing me in this direction. I'll take it to a shop and see what they say.

The problem is most likely you. 6' and 200lbs is probably not average if you looked it up. This is in no way meant as an insult to you btw. Another thing is that at your age your tissues have been developing problems for a long time (whether you think you have issues or not). What are you doing for body maintenance ? I'm 6'2'' 200lbs and at 33 years old I'm doing body maintenance 2-3 times a week to keep from feeling stiff and immobile. Sitting down for any descent length of time is probably one of the single worst things you can do to your body. If you are not using a roller like the one I linked for you below you need to invest in one and give it an honest try, it will change your quality of life. Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

You need one of these > Amazon.com : RumbleRoller - Half Size 12 Inches - Blue - Original - Textured Muscle Foam Roller - Relieve Sore Muscles- Your Own Portable Massage Therapist - Patented Foam Roller Technology : Sports & Outdoors

The problem is most likely you. 6' and 200lbs is probably not average if you looked it up. This is in no way meant as an insult to you btw. Another thing is that at your age your tissues have been developing problems for a long time (whether you think you have issues or not). What are you doing for body maintenance ? I'm 6'2'' 200lbs and at 33 years old I'm doing body maintenance 2-3 times a week to keep from feeling stiff and immobile. Sitting down for any descent length of time is probably one of the single worst things you can do to your body. If you are not using a roller like the one I linked for you below you need to invest in one and give it an honest try, it will change your quality of life. Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

You need one of these > Amazon.com : RumbleRoller - Half Size 12 Inches - Blue - Original - Textured Muscle Foam Roller - Relieve Sore Muscles- Your Own Portable Massage Therapist - Patented Foam Roller Technology : Sports & Outdoors

Interesting. I have perpetually tight shoulders/neck - I may have to get one of those.

Interesting. I have perpetually tight shoulders/neck - I may have to get one of those.

Yep, you have issues with your fascia just like the gentleman that started this thread ! Maybe getting some headaches from it too ? I recommend the blue one for beginners as it will be more than enough. Keep in mind it can be somewhat painful when first starting out but gets better after you get some of the bad stuff broken up.

Good point Half K! Indeed, as one ages all kinds of aches and pains prop up. And this could be just one more reason to re-adopt a more regular regimen of stretching and other simple exercices every day.
The bolster of the seat may still need to be addressed, but as you suggest, some work on my legs and muscles and joints would be helpful too.
Leather seats feel more "packed-in" to me, not as soft as cloth seats that I'm more familiar with. And my GX is now 13 years old so the leather and padding in the seats may not be as cushy and forgiving as it was originally.
I suppose the reason I wrote this post is because I keep reading these people say how "the seats in my GX are SOO comfortable that I can drive 9 hours and feel refreshed"... So I was a little disappointed that the seat in mine (or maybe it's more the "bum in the seat") didn't produce the same soothing effect...

p.s. It's "funny" but about 15 years ago I drove a rather spartan Land Rover 110 many many hours and about 1500 miles on a trip (half of which on gravel) and don't recall such leg issues. Mind you, I was also 15 years younger! But the Land Rover basically had a fixed seat with a flat slab of foam covered with vinyl for the seat, and another for the back. The seat was fixed in one position rather close to the steering wheel, and to the door on the left. Not very comfortable, mystery to me why people seek to drive such vehicles long distances, but I did... A GX is light-years ahead in comfort, but doesn't mean that one can't have ergonomic problems in them either.

I'd call the GX seats, descent. They start giving me a backache after an hour or so. The WRX seats in my 80 series can be ridden for 20hrs straight and never cause me back or leg discomfort. They are light years better than the GX seat. You could get some of the Wet Okole seat covers to add a 1/2'' of extra padding that might help. I truly believe the issue is more with you though. A person should be able to sit in a plastic chair and not have their hip go numb or pain radiating down their leg. Stretching will help a bit but you really need to educate on self massage and fascia release techniques. Grab a roller and give it an honest go for a month.

I went from FJ40 Stock seats to FJ62 Stock seats to HJ61 suspension seat to PT Cruiser Seats in an FJ60 now to my GX. So comfort is relative!

All seats wear out and I agree that a 6'2" 280 lb guy wears them out faster, but I've had good success with local upholstery shops fixing my seats.

I bought a 2004 GX last summer and am driving it more this year. Unfortunately, on highway runs the seat becomes uncomfortable for me after 30 minutes or so. My right hip goes numb and starts hurting, and the pain carries down the outside of my leg.

I've tried different seating positions (up down fore aft angle up or down) with or without lumbar, and can't find the position that would eliminate this problem for me. Putting it on cruise control and moving my right leg around alleviates but does not completely eliminate the problem.

I'm 6' and 220lbs so pretty average I would think. Just turned 60. I don't have chronic leg or hip issues. I don't feel this pain in my other car.

Can those seats wear out or become slanted toward the door? I'm thinking something has to be out of whack or I'm not doing something right in adjusting the seating position, because a car of this quality should NOT give a driver discomfort from sitting.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I have had the same issue with other cars and trucks. Had a bad back/sacrum injury while a cop and I became acutely aware of sagging cushions effecting my injury.

On my '97 80 Series I bought a new OEM foam cushion and had a shop recover the seat with new leather. FIXED the problem. Also, I always try to pull up on the grab bar and lift myself up off the seat as I exit the vehicle rather than sliding out across the side bolster and this will prolong the life of the cushion significantly.

A good shop can fabricate one and possibly use a European style foam which is generally stiffer and denser as the Lexus foam is quite cushy and plush if not downright soft compared to let say a BMW. Yet, a new Lexus OEM cushion on may be just what you need and probably a couple hundred bucks. I believe that what it was for my LX450. If you're handy you could install it yourself with a pair of hog tie pliers.

It's a whole lot less expensive than chiropractic and physical therapy bills...

Thanks Tahoe for the useful advice based on your own experience.
You've given me a solid path forward for fixing the front seat. I like the grab bar exit tip to prevent the bolster in the future.
As you suggest, we have to take care of our back and hip nerves etc.
Cheers.

I’m reviving this thread. My GX seats are comfortable for 5min then my back starts to set up. The lumbar adjustment is too low. The depth of the seat under my legs is too short. Basically the ergonomics are the same as my old 3rd gen 4runner seats, horrible. I’m 6’2” 200lbs. Fit & strong but with a bad back. So has anyone found a good replacement seat for these?

Not exactly what you asked for, but elsewhere I saw a thread reference using seat risers for the front mounting points to get a better angle. I went ahead and bought a pair from Desert Does It and it did help somewhat. The seat now angles up high enough, which I like. But it makes the overall seat height even taller (wish overall seat height was lower) and the shallow seat depth is even more apparent. I actually had to angle the front of the seat down a little bit because it was causing my legs to get uncomfortable because it was pushing up right in the middle of the back thigh (as opposed to supporting my entire thigh). I'm 6'1" or so for reference. Still happy I bought them, but also still looking for ways to improve the comfort. I'll be following this thread to see if anyone has better options (like swapping in a GX460 seat or something).

hey guys...i just found out about these risers from this thread. Ive ordered them and just installed today. I was a bit hesitant due to the price but its a well machined piece. I havent had significant seat time in it yet but I have a feeling this new tilt is going to help on long drives. I know the seat tilt has bothered me in the past and this may just be the part to fix it.

Edit: After butt test...this is the "thing" to fix the numb leg issue. The 1-2" tilt impact is significant. Feels much better.

Last edited:
So it sounds like the only things folks have done to the GX470 seats is the riser & maybe new foam/leather?? Seems like as many of these that are being repurposed, we’d have some aftermarket options that have been tried and true. I have 3 GX470’s in my “fleet”, both kids and my wife and I find all 3 uncomfortable almost instantly. The thing that pops out to me is the short seat base. Again I’m pretty average at 6’ 190. Haven’t taken any on long trips as my long trip rig is a F150 lariat - stupid comfortable, so I’m a little spoiled when it comes to seat comfort. I’m looking to build an overland rig for myself and it HAS to be comfortable. I may just go with the same year 100 series. More $$ but worth it if I plan to do extended trips in it. Any parting shots for a better GX seat before I spend the extra $$ on a 100? Thanks guys!

For starters, take your wallet and anything in your back pockets out before driving. It may contribute to your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom