GX470 front seat uncomfortable (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There was a dude on I think FB group that installed IS350 seats in his GX because and he loved it maybe that is the solution

I pulled the trigger on a very low mile 2003 for my personal build. Like the other 3 GX's I own, the seats are not comfortable. I have a long trip up to CO in about a month. I purchased the L Seat front leather kit and I'm looking for a good source on GX470 seat foam for both front seats. I may do two GX's at once, so four total seat cushions if the price is right.

1) Does anyone have experience with a particular brand and can give me some feedback?
2) Know where to get them besides dealer, amazon (bezos has too much money already) & ebay?

Muchos Gracias

Buy one of these ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Roho seat cushion.

i'm 67, the joy of gettign old is stuff starts wearing out. The even better part is it's non linear, you the older you get the faster stuff wears out and goes bad. Kinda like an old car.

I've had a hell of a ride, when I die I'm going to die used up and having enjoyed the trip.

T
Buy one of these ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Roho seat cushion.

i'm 67, the joy of gettign old is stuff starts wearing out. The even better part is it's non linear, you the older you get the faster stuff wears out and goes bad. Kinda like an old car.

I've had a hell of a ride, when I die I'm going to die used up and having enjoyed the trip.
Thanks for the life lesson & suggestion on the external seat cushion. I'm sure it's nice, however, while I have the leather off I will be replacing the foam.

1) Does anyone have experience with a particular brand of seat foam and can give me some feedback?
2) Know where to get them besides dealer, amazon (bezos has too much money already) & ebay?

Thanks!

Seatjackers are so worth it. Best gx mod.

Would these impact the safety of the seat during a collision? Particular the rear seat “jackers”? This may help solve some legroom woes in both our GX’s but I won’t do it if it impacts safety in a collision. The fronts look ok I suppose but the rear ones worry me a bit.

No clue, didn’t even know they make rear ones. I put them on my front driver seat, they make my back feel good on long drives. Really good. Huge difference. I have long legs.

when I installed they seemed like solid metal. If I get in a collision and these things cause my death I’d be surprised. And dead.

No clue, didn’t even know they make rear ones. I put them on my front driver seat, they make my back feel good on long drives. Really good. Huge difference. I have long legs.

when I installed they seemed like solid metal. If I get in a collision and these things cause my death I’d be surprised. And dead.

Got long legs and some really bad knees and hip so if it would help I’d be interested. The GX just has deplorable legroom. I suspect it is partly because of that USELESS third row. Does the 200 series have better legroom?

I heard the jackers work nicely and most major companies won't touch them for exactly the reason you mentioned; safety. No one wants to be liable for that. I'm planning to put them in my GX as well. Just not stoked about the $$ for the nice ones. $100 a pair.

OK, I bought the foam from USAutoNation on ebay. I'll let you guys know how it feels after the new L seat covers, foam and jackers if I get them in time.
Here's the link for the foam

Update:
1) I got the leather kit from L seat : $350

2) Two seat foams from ebay : $240
Driver Bottom Replacement Seat Foam Cushion For 2003 2004 2005 2006 Lexus GX470 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264217022531 (I bought two "drivers" side foams but I think they are the same. There wasn't an option for the passenger seat)

3) Seat jackers from Desert Does it : $110
Amazon product ASIN B088P6H1HB (i try to avoid China-zon)

Total Cost : ~$1,300. Totally worth it to me and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I had a local upholstery shop install the new leather & foam bottoms for $550. I'm sure its not too hard to do but that is time I don't have. Initially the upholstery guy said the L Seat was good quality and well made. When I picked the truck up, he said he would never install them again. Said they were very hard to work with.

I installed the seat jackers yesterday and I love the combo of all three. Significantly better than the previous setup. Keep in mind I haven't taken it on any long trips but it feels so much better now. It actually made me think about my F150 Lariat seats.

I'll try to add some pics. Color was not an exact match but I don't really care. Its not a show car :)

I'll try to post pics tomorrow. My pics wont download & I'm beat.
Cheers

I also recently installed the seat jackers and it made a world difference on it's own.
I'll probably pick those up those foams at some point now that I know it'll work for the passenger seat too.

I have the seat jackers installed on my GX470 and they worked great on my 2000 mile trip to Moab and back. I just installed a set of Wet okole seat covers and the thickness of them makes me feel like I don't need the seat jackers anymore. even at the lowest seat settings I feel like I'm riding much higher than I would like to. I'm going to remove them and test it out, but they may be for sale in the near future.

These all seem like a bandaid fix.

I really want to install some Recaros or Scheelmaan seats but for the 05' and newer models, that passenger side occupancy sensor is going to be a bear to simulate.

I'm thinking of trying to pull the sensors our of the seat and see if it can be installed in an aftermarket seat.

These all seem like a bandaid fix.

I really want to install some Recaros or Scheelmaan seats but for the 05' and newer models, that passenger side occupancy sensor is going to be a bear to simulate.

I'm thinking of trying to pull the sensors our of the seat and see if it can be installed in an aftermarket seat.
I wouldn’t call new leather and foam a Band-Aid fix. These vehicles are prone to having slick slippery leather and flat stiff seat foam. As far as the Jackers go, just an improvement on design as far as I’m concerned. If your local to the San Diego area and you want to check it out let me know.
Completely replacing the seats and making sure everything works sounds like a lot of money and a lot of time.

Update:
1) I got the leather kit from L seat : $350

2) Two seat foams from ebay : $240
Driver Bottom Replacement Seat Foam Cushion For 2003 2004 2005 2006 Lexus GX470 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264217022531 (I bought two "drivers" side foams but I think they are the same. There wasn't an option for the passenger seat)

3) Seat jackers from Desert Does it : $110
Amazon product ASIN B088P6H1HB (i try to avoid China-zon)

Total Cost : ~$1,300. Totally worth it to me and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I had a local upholstery shop install the new leather & foam bottoms for $550. I'm sure its not too hard to do but that is time I don't have. Initially the upholstery guy said the L Seat was good quality and well made. When I picked the truck up, he said he would never install them again. Said they were very hard to work with.

I installed the seat jackers yesterday and I love the combo of all three. Significantly better than the previous setup. Keep in mind I haven't taken it on any long trips but it feels so much better now. It actually made me think about my F150 Lariat seats.

I'll try to add some pics. Color was not an exact match but I don't really care. Its not a show car :)

I'll try to post pics tomorrow. My pics wont download & I'm beat.
Cheers
Pics?

How much extra legroom did the seat jackets add? I desperately need more legroom in our 470 and 460.

Pics?

How much extra legroom did the seat jackets add? I desperately need more legroom in our 470 and 460.
I tried to upload pics but it was taking too long. Will try again later. As far as a measurement of extra leg room, I’d guess a couple inches, but no way to tell for sure. All I know is it’s much more comfortable now.

I bought a 2004 GX last summer and am driving it more this year. Unfortunately, on highway runs the seat becomes uncomfortable for me after 30 minutes or so. My right hip goes numb and starts hurting, and the pain carries down the outside of my leg.

I've tried different seating positions (up down fore aft angle up or down) with or without lumbar, and can't find the position that would eliminate this problem for me. Putting it on cruise control and moving my right leg around alleviates but does not completely eliminate the problem.

I'm 6' and 220lbs so pretty average I would think. Just turned 60. I don't have chronic leg or hip issues. I don't feel this pain in my other car.

Can those seats wear out or become slanted toward the door? I'm thinking something has to be out of whack or I'm not doing something right in adjusting the seating position, because a car of this quality should NOT give a driver discomfort from sitting.

Any ideas or suggestions?
I feel ya brother,
I just got a 2008 gx470 in cherry condition. The seats are in near new condition. They don't have wrinkles and the leather is still crazy soft! It is really comfortable for short drives but, on any trips over 40 miles or so, my back aches. Not much support even with the lumbar adjusted and I'm not even a really big guy. I have driven across the entire length of country at least a dozen times in vehicles as variied as BMW and Audi's to Jeeps, 4Runners and FJ55's. Now, they all had their strengths and weaknesses, but I can tell you first hand, that there are MANY other more comfortable seats out there for long distance drives than the ones in a 470! Its a true shame because I love my GX, but I cringe at the thought of a long drive. I hate to say it, because the leather is so damned soft, but I may need to replace them entirely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom