GX470/460 overlanding....payload?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not quite understanding how people are building out full "long term" (anything over 4-5days) overlanding rigs staying even remotely within payload.

I picked out the lightest stuff I could find, everything made out of aluminum and before I even get to anything trip specific, so electronics, hiking gear, camping gear, extra human(s), food, etc I would be at or above payload. I sort of stopped doing my math because before I even got to some of the nitty gritty weight like jack, rescue gear and stuff like that I was basically at 1300lbs. Thats not including food, an extra person, any of my clothes or personal gear, electronics, it wasn't even including a spare tire.

I was picking out parts significantly lighter than majority of the stuff I see people using on their builds, for example the front bumper is 57lbs and rear is 75lbs, thats at least a 120lb savings from 95% of the builds out there.

Am I missing something or is everyone just down if they lets say go overlanding with their wife and dog and food for a few days etc, theyll be 400+ (30%) over payload?

This is under the assumption of what I read that the 20 gallons in stock fuel tank are NOT counted and that a driver is also not counted. That right there is 270lbs - if those are not to be counted, the story changes quite easily

The weight definitely adds up. I try to keep it under control just because I don't want stuff to wear out faster and I don't want it to feel like a pig - but I don't really care what Lexus gave us as a payload max. I doubt it even applies after you've changed springs, ride height, etc.

I'd like to roll across a scale just out of curiosity, but I don't even know what the payload limit or max weight is. I've never even looked it up.

its about 1330lbs, 6200lb GWVR approx. Most of the overland ready rigs and usually some are missing something heavy that the others dont have, so if you had all the bells and whistles when it comes to armor, RTT etc from what I can tell most of them are going to be at 6500lbs or more, many are at like 6700lb+ based on the FB groups

as soon as you start replacing stock suspension, control arms, wheels, and tires, the payload capacity changes, too. taking the weight of a fully built out truck and comparing it to the stock payload capacity is apples and oranges.

as soon as you start replacing stock suspension, control arms, wheels, and tires, the payload capacity changes, too. taking the weight of a fully built out truck and comparing it to the stock payload capacity is apples and oranges.

Legally it does not change payload capacity. It may handle your heavy load better, but payload capacity comes from the manufacturer and it is what it is.

Legally it does not change payload capacity. It may handle your heavy load better, but payload capacity comes from the manufacturer and it is what it is.

Sure, but the legal payload capacity vs the actual payload capacity are two very different things. Once you've built up a truck to the extent many users here do, the actual payload capacity of the truck is quite different than what is reported by the manufacturer.

Sure, but the legal payload capacity vs the actual payload capacity are two very different things. Once you've built up a truck to the extent many users here do, the actual payload capacity of the truck is quite different than what is reported by the manufacturer.
But its not that simple. Some things can handle it while others might not. So if you have a payload of 1800lbs or 2000lbs which seems common on thsese really armored out cars with storage, RTT etc. What % of those guys are changing axles, and brakes? Steering? Not many of them I would bet. So yes will your suspension setup easily handle it? Yes. The question is how well those other compenents handle it. The truth is not many of us have truly tried and tested a lets say even 6 months trip of a GX where on an every other day basis we are doing off-roading and some light wheeling and maybe twice a week that wheeling turns into tons of tire spin in some mud or thick dirt areas? Or driving through deserts and some areas have thick sand on what would otherwise be a normal obstacle. How do these other components hold up when you are 500lbs+ over but you havent addressed those? Thats also a lot of $ but not only that you are now going away from manufacture, wont be able to find replacements easy if you leave the US etc etc. Its not really quite as simple as you put it IMHO. If you are just a trail runner in the US, its likely not a big deal. But if you want to be an overlander I do think its a legit thing to think about and try to get more data (as I am trying, as I am admittedly new to this)

But its not that simple. Some things can handle it while others might not. So if you have a payload of 1800lbs or 2000lbs which seems common on thsese really armored out cars with storage, RTT etc. What % of those guys are changing axles, and brakes? Steering? Not many of them I would bet. So yes will your suspension setup easily handle it? Yes. The question is how well those other compenents handle it. The truth is not many of us have truly tried and tested a lets say even 6 months trip of a GX where on an every other day basis we are doing off-roading and some light wheeling and maybe twice a week that wheeling turns into tons of tire spin in some mud or thick dirt areas? Or driving through deserts and some areas have thick sand on what would otherwise be a normal obstacle. How do these other components hold up when you are 500lbs+ over but you havent addressed those? Thats also a lot of $ but not only that you are now going away from manufacture, wont be able to find replacements easy if you leave the US etc etc. Its not really quite as simple as you put it IMHO. If you are just a trail runner in the US, its likely not a big deal. But if you want to be an overlander I do think its a legit thing to think about and try to get more data (as I am trying, as I am admittedly new to this)

i'd bet the vast majority of people who wheel and do some overlanding have not and will not do a trip like you describe - 6 months straight of beating on the truck in harsh off road conditions. the folks who actually do those trips? i think you'd be surprised how custom built their rigs are: triple-locked with a new rear-axle (the 8.2 e-locker swap is somewhat common on the GX), beefy aftermarket uppers and lowers all around, beefy "big brake" kits, re-geared, fancy-pants stage __ suspension, all that in addition to armor and the more common mods. that kind of use case is an edge one, and one where your vehicle needs to be purpose built.

so, yes, you're probably correct that most folks modding these cars aren't doing some of the more "hardcore" upgrades to accommodate payloads over factory capacity, but i'd wager most of them don't have the use-case you described above. those who have that use-case likely do go above and beyond in terms of upgrades.

Here's an example of one of the most hardcore overlanding GX470s i've come across. their upgrades list is staggering, and cost something around $85k in parts.

so, yes, you're probably correct that most folks modding these cars aren't doing some of the more "hardcore" upgrades to accommodate payloads over factory capacity, but i'd wager most of them don't have the use-case you described above. those who have that use-case likely do go above and beyond in terms of upgrades.

Here's an example of one of the most hardcore overlanding GX470s i've come across. their upgrades list is staggering, and cost something around $85k in parts.

Totally agree overall and youre right. But at the same time, these guys are not DDing these cars that often so basically 100% of their miles are extremely overloaded and not only that, they are doing much harder trails than lets say a 5,000 mile roadtrip in south america. They are tackling basically the hardest trails their cars will muster with hundreds of lbs over assumed payload capacity. So its a little bit apples to oranges but I get what youre saying and youre mostly right id assume

At the same tho I think sexy lexy is a bit silly in terms of build. They seem to have gone with the heaviest parts possible for every turn then justified their changes based on the weight. Metal tech is the heaviest gear out there to my knowledge. And then at the end of they day they have barely 33s? If youre on 33s youre not gonna be hitting Rubicon anyway unless youre totally okay with breaking stuff. (some guys did it on 33s recently) so why do you have literally the most hardcore heavy armor on a car that you arent going to need it for? They have 20 gals of water but less than 300mi range on their fuel? That car IMO was not well thought out in weight and cost but is capable of a lot. Sort of like what I want yes but just not well thought out in terms of weight or cost. I think you could build a car that will take you to all the same places for half of that car. But I could be very very wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as it handles well. Here in Aus there are SO many prado 120's (and Toyota 4x4's in general) you couldn't drive for more than 30 seconds without seeing one.

My point is they are used and abused here with all the same heavy gear you guys have. And a lot of them spend their life dragging caravans/campers around the country without issues. Ever heard of cracks in the body near the front guards? Nope? It's a thing here with ones that have been hammered over dirt roads a lot.

One selling point for me getting a prado 120 was when I looked under one and the chassis rails were just as chunky as the big boy land cruisers. Same diff sizes etc. There are some things that are bigger on the 100 and 200 series but they are much heavier again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom