GX460 Roof Rack Pics Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Please keep us updated with the Victory rack. I am deciding between this and SSO rack.
Just to throw a wrench into your decision making thoughts, have you considered a Gamiviti rack? I love mine!
Or check out my build thread with the rack installed and an iKamper roof top tent on top: Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo

My last update was that it was suppose to ship Early August. I am going check in this week and see if there is an estimated ship date.

I have the front runner roof rack. At the time it was one of the only ones available for the GX. While i like the look of the newer SSO and Prinsu designs better, I've been pretty happy with the flexibility and versatility of the Frontrunner. I've been able to mount my RTT, cargo carrier, bike racks, random furniture, and a lot of other stuff. I'm sure the other racks would have been able to carry the same stuff, but with all the available accessories from Frontrunner, you can mount almost anything to the rack.

IMG_8199.JPG

Due to the location of the front of the rack and the stock deflector (hard to see under the rack) I was unable to use my sunroof when driving. So I added a spare deflector I had laying around and that has fixed the problem. One good thing about not having an integrated wind deflector is i plan on mounting my solar panel under the roof rack and having it slide out front, and may add some under rack storage options in the future.

IMG_9785.JPG

Is the 5th Gen Prinsu rack the same exact rack used on the GX460?

Don't you hate when you loose a button!;)

So I just got back from more stock piling of food and gas. I have a bunch of west coast FL friends and family coming over due to the hurricane. I took the GX out with the new rack and was on the interstate doing 75 or so... I cannot tell the rack is even up there. There may be a little extra noise but the cell phone decibel meter did not pick it up and to be honest I cannot tell.

I had one of the very first Prinsu roof racks which is the grand father of all the new aluminum IKEA racks. They are light and Look good However be positives stopped for me there just like all the ikea furniture I bought.

Why I got rid of it after a year:
1. Light duty at best! Those cross bars are rather flimsy especially with only 2 bolts holding them down at each end vs welded steel. Don’t bother try to step on them or attach something rather heavy.
2. EVERYTHING has to be bolted down/mounted. I can’t just throw something up there like a regular safari style basket rack
3. No mesh floor, back to I can’t just throw logs/firewood up there
4. MPG lose is basically same as a full basket and not really that much quieter either and this is compared to full sized arb rack

Personally I want my rack to be versatile and flexible, I’ve thrown mattresses, gas cans, lumber, spare, Christmas trees, dump/donations......well just about everything on my arb safari rack/basket. I have enjoyed beverages sitting on it and even camped on my rack(I love he beach but hate the sand). Only down side is weight but I think it’s well worth it.

My vote and money when I do go for a rack will be Gamviti’s safari basket rack, quality and durability is top notch along with great customer service. Plus hand made in America and supporting great small businesses.

Last edited:
I agree with the above, after a year of owning a Prinsu and my buddy with one for a year longer than that, I can't fully recommend one nor would I buy one again in the future. I like the build quality and design of the Rhino Rack and that would be my first choice should I put one on a rooftop again in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom