GX460 Roof Rack Pics Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After doing a lot of research on which rack I wanted to go with, I wound up getting the Gamiviti for the following reasons:
  • Low profile. I've built my rig to keep a relatively low profile to keep the CG lower and be able to go through most car washes (but not with my RRT) and to park in most public parking garages.
  • Style. After having been to Africa several times on church mission trips and many safari's, I ❤love❤the safari style of the Gamiviti!
  • Strength. It's strong! It uses all six of the roof mounting points! My RRT is about 150 lbs plus my wife and I and gear when we're camping 🏕.
  • Lights! Not only do I love having the front LED light bar, I love having proximity lights on the sides when camping at night. Keeps from tripping over things in the campsite. Also great when doing a little midnight off roading and looking at what's along side you as you drive along!
  • Many options! When you order it, there are a ton of options, from how long you want it, if you want the rack bars upright like a basket or down like mine. You have mesh top and keep your sun roof space open, the list goes on. I have the list on my build thread if you want to see what all is available: Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo
  • A lot of mount points. Awnings, lights, shovels, picks, recovery gear, whatever! You can tie off anything, anywhere on the rack. It's all beefy! No aluminum here!

The Gamiviti is very similar in construction to a Gobi and I have watched some that I have owned in the past rust in under two years. Steel is a nightmare on the coast. I do love the timeless look though.

The Gamiviti is very similar in construction to a Gobi and I have watched some that I have owned in the past rust in under two years. Steel is a nightmare on the coast. I do love the timeless look though.

Steel could be n issue at the rust belt, the ARB safari aluminum rack could be your answer, still very beefy just not quiet as stout as steel version but much lighter. It will flex a little when stepped on but no issues supporting an adult walking on it.

Yeah, this was what deterred me from getting one (live 2 blocks from beach). I decided to order the SSO rack.

Yeah, this was what deterred me from getting one (live 2 blocks from beach). I decided to order the SSO rack.
I too live close to the beach (about 100 feet from the water) here in San Clemente, so I guess I'll have to give it some time to see how well my Gamiviti steel rack holds out.
One of the things I DO like about aluminum racks, I'm all about wanting to keep my vehicle as light as possible. So I'd love it if someone would come up with aluminum front and rear bumpers and a rack like the Gamiviti. Or if Tim at Gamiviti would make an aluminum rack like his steel version.

Last edited:
Just got SSO rack/sliders put on, will get some better pics tomorrow

C9DA7E02-F57B-4FC7-B22F-642B5F75B674.jpeg

006B96FE-5EBE-4BD9-8848-6AF2DC96307B.jpeg

Rust is probably the only negative to owning my gami rack.

Mine has minimal rust on the edges of the brackets that attach to the roof but none on the rack itself. I think this is a small price to pay since all it takes is a small spray of any anti rust rattle can product to seal it.

I've stood on it and walked around with no flex. I can grab any part of the rack and move the entire car without the rack budging. Right now I've got a hard top rtt on it and it's very confidence inspiring driving down the highway at 75-80 knowing how solid it is.

MVIMG_20191117_110837.jpg

Reactions: r2m
Same here, I have the Gamiviti with a iKamper RTT (one of the heavier ones out there). This rack is like it's bolted to the frame! Solid, even when my wife and I are up in the tent camping in high winds. Solid!
You can see my setup on my R2M build thread.

Does anyone have pics or review of the GOBI racks? I like the idea of a traversable surface. Would be cool to shoot prone out in the desert from the top of my truck.

Lurker here as I don't own a 460, but I just ordered an Ironman alloy 6' safari rack for my 80 Series. My buddy has the 7'2" version on his 80, and it's extremely versatile, touch and light for what you get. You can stand on it, run straps through it and tie down anywhere, it does not require any proprietary mounting stuff (Front Runner, I'm looking at you), and it looks great.
Right now Ironman is running 25% off site wide, might be a good time to pull the trigger if you are interested.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom