GX460 / Prado150 pic thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look'n sharp!
Future plans???
Usual stuff,
Figure out wheels, 35's, gears, different roofrack, probably move to FCPs till I can figure out doing the Marlin RCLTHD setup and either a tacobox or gearset to help the crawl ratio. I "daily" several vehicles so none of them need to really do "daily" duties. I am extremely lucky to have the mechanical skills and not have to pay someone to do the work. I'm a mechanical/electrical team leader by trade.
20220317_212221.jpg

"oh you know, the usual easy mods"

long travel, new transfer case, triple lockers, maybe make it amphibious, etc :D

I'm torn between whether I would go Marlin Crawler or Total Chaos long travel when I inevitably win the lottery. I feel like the Marlin kit is better for overall travel but the TC kit keeping KDSS fascinates me.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
You would have to delete KDSS. The aftermarket arms moves everything forward so they wiuld have to move KDSS mounts forward as well.
Yeah I don't think the kdss system by design has the amount of movement necessary to keep. Piston stroke possibly could be changed but mechanical drawings aren't in the FSM for the kdss pistons. I thought about clocking the oem swaybar ends to fit but thats quite a bit ($$$) down the road. Didn't you hear I'm a grease monkey leader, not their king. Hehe
I would like to keep it though

"oh you know, the usual easy mods"

long travel, new transfer case, triple lockers, maybe make it amphibious, etc :D

I'm torn between whether I would go Marlin Crawler or Total Chaos long travel when I inevitably win the lottery. I feel like the Marlin kit is better for overall travel but the TC kit keeping KDSS fascinates me.
Maybe a locker in the rear.

IFSFFS. I don't know, those custom cv axles are pretty stout, but I'd worry more about the steering weak points.

Where is Treasure Valley (what state)? It looks more western.
Treasure Valley is the valley that Boise, Idaho is located in. It's a small valley, and before a few years ago was pretty low population density too.

Those photos were from the South Fork of the Boise river, just near the Anderson Dam Reservoir.

...before a few years ago was pretty low population density too.
Great! I'll bring ma hoe family, aunts, uncles, cousins and cousins married to cousins:hillbilly:, to cousins, etc. :hillbilly:
We'll be real neighbourly like!!

Yeah I don't think the kdss system by design has the amount of movement necessary to keep. Piston stroke possibly could be changed but mechanical drawings aren't in the FSM for the kdss pistons. I thought about clocking the oem swaybar ends to fit but thats quite a bit ($$$) down the road. Didn't you hear I'm a grease monkey leader, not their king. Hehe
I would like to keep it though
That would not be a huge issue as the long travel is achieved through longer arms.

The farther away from the fulcrum, the greater the distance traveled vertically. Without having disassembled the kdss piston bodies, I have no knowledge of the full stroke length available as an overage by the engineers. A hydraulic piston isn't magic and most all bores/strokes are as common as 3/8 -16.
Dimensional drawings are unfortunately not in the FSM.

Since I'm new here ill say sorry in advance to everyone.
Pretty much every good friend I have would tell you I come off kinda *a hole ish* but truly mean well. Sorry in advance.

I read this whole 73 pg thread prior to joining so obviously I am not right in the head. Hehe

The farther away from the fulcrum, the greater the distance traveled vertically. Without having disassembled the kdss piston bodies, I have no knowledge of the full stroke length available as an overage by the engineers. A hydraulic piston isn't magic and most all bores/strokes are as common as 3/8 -16.
Dimensional drawings are unfortunately not in the FSM.

Since I'm new here ill say sorry in advance to everyone.
Pretty much every good friend I have would tell you I come off kinda *a hole ish* but truly mean well. Sorry in advance.

I read this whole 73 pg thread prior to joining so obviously I am not right in the head. Hehe
If theoretically they make a kit to fit KDSS it will probably still be somewhat of a limiting factor. That being said, I really hope they do, because that kit and 37s sounds like one helluva good time once you got everything sorted.

Also, I am pretty direct and to the point. I mean no offense and hope none was taken.

If theoretically they make a kit to fit KDSS it will probably still be somewhat of a limiting factor. That being said, I really hope they do, because that kit and 37s sounds like one helluva good time once you got everything sorted.

Also, I am pretty direct and to the point. I mean no offense and hope none was taken.
Yeah the tacobox 480:1 tacoma is in my opinion not impossible on a gx platform.
Ball cooler full blow> and 40's.
Yes please

Last edited:
I am in no way indicating that it would be easy or cheap by any stretch of the imagination
It would even be quite the investment for a wrangler. My previous vehicle was a JK-R and it just went to pieces in the first winter in had it before I even got to modifying it. All the research pointed at needing quite a few mods to reliable wheel with 37s or 40s to the point it makes less of a difference with what you start with.

I'm in Waikiki right now. It's nice and all, but I really wish I had my truck with me. I'll be renting a Buick Encore (or similar) in Maui this weekend so maybe then I'll get a chance to go wheeling.

Y'all know the difference between a rental car and a built GX460 with lockers and a winch?

You can take a rental car anywhere!

I'm in Waikiki right now. It's nice and all, but I really wish I had my truck with me. I'll be renting a Buick Encore (or similar) in Maui this weekend so maybe then I'll get a chance to go wheeling.

Y'all know the difference between a rental car and a built GX460 with lockers and a winch?

The fastest car in the world is a rental with the extra insurance

I thought the top rentals in Hawaii are Mustang convertibles and Jeep Wranglers open tops.
Having been to Hawaii more times times than I can count, most wheeling is usually mud with occasional volcanic rock.
All the off road vehicles have this really odd idea of being lifted, have supper wide off road tires with a lower profile tire on offset rims that stick way out form the fenders.
It just does not look functional at all, along with looking really odd.

I thought the top rentals in Hawaii are Mustang convertibles and Jeep Wranglers open tops.
Having been to Hawaii more times times than I can count, most wheeling is usually mud with occasional volcanic rock.
All the off road vehicles have this really odd idea of being lifted, have supper wide off road tires with a lower profile tire on offset rims that stick way out form the fenders.
It just does not look functional at all, along with looking really odd.
That tracks. Also, a lot of that Carolina Squat thing where the back is low and the front lifted. Non-functional and ridiculous. At least they're mostly Toyotas though. I saw a GX470 last night that looked like it could rock a mall parking lot with the best of 'em.

A few years back I rented an open top Heep on the Big Island. Took it to a remote black sand beach and down to Waipio Valley, which was totally worth it. Then the rear side window panel flew off on a Highway with no turnouts and I almost got killed trying to retrieve it. I wanted a convertible muscle car this time, but there are 3 of us so logic and practicality won out.

That tracks. Also, a lot of that Carolina Squat thing where the back is low and the front lifted. Non-functional and ridiculous. At least they're mostly Toyotas though. I saw a GX470 last night that looked like it could rock a mall parking lot with the best of 'em.

A few years back I rented an open top Heep on the Big Island. Took it to a remote black sand beach and down to Waipio Valley, which was totally worth it. Then the rear side window panel flew off on a Highway with no turnouts and I almost got killed trying to retrieve it. I wanted a convertible muscle car this time, but there are 3 of us so logic and practicality won out.
Just met a friendly local with a beautiful 80 series, greasing his zerks in a parking lot. Talked Toyotas and local wheeling spots for a minute. Oahu is redeeming itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom