GX460 ceiling storage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had no idea it folded up! Dang! I skipped getting that because I thought it was fixed. Very nice!
Hah yea it’s nice. I saw you can now buy it separately. I was on the fence about getting the barrier but at the time buying it bundled with the shelf was the only option so I bit the bullet.

Hah yea it’s nice. I saw you can now buy it separately. I was on the fence about getting the barrier but at the time buying it bundled with the shelf was the only option so I bit the bullet.
I assume it hinges on the roof shelf and will only fold if you have that as well?

I assume it hinges on the roof shelf and will only fold if you have that as well?
Yea that’s right. Here’s the page for just the barrier Cargo barrier LC150/GX460 (only) - https://bison-gear.com/en/home/110-shelf-with-cargo-barrier-for-lc120-and-gx460.html

From the description looks like it includes the hinges and drilling holes in the shelf is required if you have the old version, new version has the holes to accommodate already. Can also shoot them an email if you have other questions they were really helpful when I had some pre-order questions.

I recently got the Bison Gear shelf + cargo barrier and the side panels as well. I like that the barrier can fold up and is secured by magnets if I need the space to load things with the 2nd row folded down. I’ll admit I must have missed it in the description that it folds up, as I was prepared to just take it off when not needed. Was a pleasant surprise ☺️

View attachment 3301103
How does it secure in the down position? Hopefully not with magnets.

This thread is timely for me - have been thinking about some type of metal/strung shelf carrier in my cargo area to hold jackets/blankets/soft goods on trips.

@gietl and others - are you able to advise how much rearview vision, if any, is obstructed on the Kaon/Bison (ripoff artists) style?

This thread is timely for me - have been thinking about some type of metal/strung shelf carrier in my cargo area to hold jackets/blankets/soft goods on trips.

@gietl and others - are you able to advise how much rearview vision, if any, is obstructed on the Kaon/Bison (ripoff artists) style?
On the bison gear it doesn’t block visibility much at all. From my view from the drivers seat I can only see the very bottom of the shelf so doesn’t obscure much at all.

I have zero obstruction. That was important to me. I got to see one installed on a 460 locally before making my decision. I'm 5'11"-ish (thanks compression fracture) and with my seating I don't even see it. There is some small vertical adjustment so you can decide what works best for you.

My Victory 4x4 shelf (Universal Upper Shelf - Victory 4x4 - https://www.victory4x4.com/product/UNI-UPRS.html) only clips off the very top of the rear view window, which doesn't matter very much.
Also, don't think you can only add light fluffy gear to the shelf. I know the Victory site shows a video of one of their employees handing from it, at probably 140 lbs.
I personally have most all my hand tools and some recovery gear up there, and yes a blanket or two.
If you go to my build thread you'll see how I have the rear loaded out, start at post #210: Builds - R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r-m-2013-gx-460-overland-build.1104719/page-11

Sounds like everyone likes it and I can imaging it being a good, unused location, for items. I'm planning a longer cross country trip for this summer with my kids.
Has anyone used the soft strap types? Useful? Or complete waste of time?

Sounds like everyone likes it and I can imaging it being a good, unused location, for items. I'm planning a longer cross country trip for this summer with my kids.
I have the mesh net from Bison and love it. I use it for dog towels, jackets, etc. It’s adjustable, so you can expand it as necessary. Nice to be able to grab a rain jacket from the front seat. It doesn’t obstruct the rear view much.

Wouldn't stuff anything more than some coats or light blankets. Just soft items.

I have the mesh net from Bison and love it. I use it for dog towels, jackets, etc. It’s adjustable, so you can expand it as necessary. Nice to be able to grab a rain jacket from the front seat. It doesn’t obstruct the rear view much.
So it hangs over the 2nd row seats?

Didn't see that yet, thanks.
I assume you can put it anywhere. But yes, with the likelyhood of small pillows, small blankets, hats, headphones and rain gear I can see this being a good thing.
On the bison gear, I assume its aluminum? Is it pretty solid when mounted and tightening up the straps?

Looking at the BG site, they don't indicate the net/strap style for the 460. You can also view the customer review photos to see some other photos of it installed.

Reactions: r2m
Looking at the BG site, they don't indicate the net/strap style for the 460. You can also view the customer review photos to see some other photos of it installed.

Just realized going to your link (thanks for the link...) that it looks like it actually attaches over the 2nd row seats, not the third row!
That may be a though for small light items like blankets and small pillows. Traveling, my wife sometimes like to have a blanket and pillow on her, and this would make it an easy access while driving instead of keeping it all in the far back of the rig. It'd also keep it from flopping around in the second row seat too.

So it hangs over the 2nd row seats?
It attaches to the 3rd row grab handles, behind the 2nd row. I can turn around and pull a jacket out if I need to. Depending on arm length, YMMV. I just keep soft stuff up there, but those tend to be things that get thrown in somewhere and I have to dig them out. Now everything has a place.

I don't recall if it specified the 460, but it says GX and similar. I might have taken a chance since the grab handle bolt spacing seemed similar b/t models. It fits fine and has some play horizontally for placement. I have a pic above the Bison MOLLE panels here: Sheptastic 2015 GX460 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sheptastic-2015-gx460-build.1282907/post-14422137. Links and other details are in the posts before that one.

I just remembered I made a sunshade material rectangle when I had my jeep for top down days, and it's the right size for a "ceiling hammock" setup. Will work on it and see how I like it. Hats, travel pillow, blankets, wires, and other random clutter should be perfect.

I recently got the Bison Gear shelf + cargo barrier and the side panels as well. I like that the barrier can fold up and is secured by magnets if I need the space to load things with the 2nd row folded down. I’ll admit I must have missed it in the description that it folds up, as I was prepared to just take it off when not needed. Was a pleasant surprise ☺️

View attachment 3301103
Nice Safe Jack Kit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom