GX 460 versus.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long-time Toyota owner here. I've had plenty of experience driving their North American offerings as well as some of the overseas models. Love Toyota's to death and won't consider switching to another brand, even if there might be other options more "practical" for more daily needs.

Here is where I'm at: No kids, active-outdoors (camping, hunting, target shooting, dog training/tracking), 1 big German Shepehrd (~100lbs, all muscle and bone) with perhaps a similar dog on the way (Dutch Shepherd or Belgian Malinois). Need something that can be practical and somewhat efficient (I use that term loosely here) for commuting to work on weekdays but can still get me down the dirt road to my next outing. I currently drive a 5th gen 4runner Trail; great all-around vehicle which has gotten me through some tough spots (areas I probably shouldn't have been going by myself). I'm looking elsewhere because:
  • Ride & Refinement: 5-speed + 4.0l v6 isn't all that refined on highway drives. The cabin is somewhat noisy. Part-time 4wd with manual shifter was "cool" for the first year of ownership; after that it got to be a bother, especially on roads where you transition from snow/ice to dry & bare pavement (drivetrain binding is something I always have to be aware of with the 4runner's part-time 4wd). 99% of my driving is on a paved road, and most of the "overland" roads in the NorthEast are somewhat well-maintained dirt roads. So while I appreciate the offroad capabilities of a 4runner (especially the locker + ATRAC), I find that they're not so relevant to my normal driving habits. I'm willing to sacrifice just a little bit of offroad capability for some better onroad comfort.
  • Engine torque: the 4runner's 4.0l v6 is better than the new 3.5l v6 that went into the Tacoma, but it still doesn't offer all that much low-end grunt. I'd like some more gears and a bit more torque...which again has me looking elsewhere.
  • Heated & comfortable seats: sounds petty and stupid I know. The 4runner seats are decent, but on long drives I find myself starting to shift around because of an aching back. Whereas I've done 10 hour drives in a heavily abused Hilux and my butt/back was just fine. I want a bit more seat comfort.
  • Character: I want something that stands out from the crowd...not necessarily that I want to show-off to anyone but rather I want to distance myself from the ever-growing crowd of yuppies who buy TRD Pro Tacoma's and 4runner's, install a roof rack and some knobby tires and drive around Main Street like Crocodile Dundee wanna-be's....I know, I'm being harsh. Bottom line is: I like Toyota vehicles and their reputation for reliability. I'm fine with enduring the mediocre fuel economy and putting up with the very slow life cycle updates. I just want something that not everyone else owns or even knows about. A sleeper 4x4.
So here is my question: will a GX 460 work for those needs/requirements outlined above? If I plan on doing the 3rd row seat removal, does anyone think that fitting 2 medium to large sized dogs will be an issue (with crates)?

What's the trade-off between going for a GX 460 and going all out for a LC 200. On the cost issue alone, I know that a used LC will be significantly more expensive than a comparably used GX, by about $15k-$18k at least. I don't like the premium fuel requirement for the GX 460, and I'm not sure the rear cargo area is big enough for my needs, but everything else about it I like.

On the other hand, the LC 200 would likely need nothing in the way of modifications, and I'm pretty sure I could fit 2 dogs and some gear in the back without any issues. Anyone here have experience with both rigs who can provide a comparison in terms of cargo capacities?

Last edited:
I just came from a fj cruiser to a 2016 460. I would say the 460 fits all your needs except the stand out in the crowd. That is the one issue that is hard getting over compared to the fj. But working on correcting that. I'm not sure the size of your cages but you would definitely have to lay down the middle row would think. Good luck in your search

I don’t have specs of cargo space right now but if a 200/LX platform is in your budget then that is what I would buy. The only reason I am looking at a 460 is because of my budget. When I built a 30x30 garage I thought it was gonna be great! Then I wish I would have built a 30x40. Get the 200/LX, the only time you will question yourself is at the gas pump!!🤣

Depending your budget an older 200 series may be around the same you'd be willing to spend on a little bit newer GX 460.
FWIW I don't have either but recently got a 100 series and with the 3rd row seat out the cargo area is cavernous. Using that same thought process, a 200 with third row seats removed and second row seats folded down you should have no problem fitting large crates in it. May be able to do it without second row seats down even. Best thing to do to figure out if the crates will fit is measure them, then go look at trucks with your tape measure. . . .

We have both a GX460 and a LX570. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't much more room in the 200 than there is in the 150. 150 series vs. 200 series is another topic altogether so I'll stick to replying your 150 series questions.

We also came from multiple (3) 5th Gens prior to picking up the GX460. We had similar complaints, engine/tranny combo, uncomfortable seats, saw ourselves everywhere we looked, noisy cabin, lack of creature comforts, etc. The GX pretty much addresses all of those issues, almost. The engine and transmission are much better, not lightyears better, but you do get better power and torque, a smoother and more efficient 6-speed transmission and better fuel economy. You would think that a V8 would get worse fuel economy but that 6th gear is a game changer. And in regards to the premium fuel, there are quite a few of us who use regular unleaded 87 octane with absolutely no issue whatsoever so pick your poison.

The seats aren't massively improved over the 5th Gen but I do find them more tolerable for longer periods of time. Standard heat and ventilation is nice as well. They don't ventilate all that well, but none of the ventilated seats in the Toyota lineup are all that impressive and ventilated isn't cooled which kinda sucks. The cabin noise is an area where you'll notice a huge improvement. Lexus puts a ton of noise dampening material in their cabins and it shows. The GX isn't as quiet as our LX (mostly due to lack of double pane glass in the GX) but it's a marked improvement over the 5th Gen.
We can't pull up to an intersection here without seeing at least one 5th Gen and TRD Pro and TRD OR models are quite common as well. Here in the Houston area a GX460 is almost as common as the 5th Gen sadly (lots of soccer moms) but if you get away from the major cities you see far less of them than the 5th Gen. I will say that I feel as if the overwhelming majority of GX's I see are white, probably 70-80% in our AO.

We have three Dobermans, so we are a full house in any vehicle but they fit fine in both. Removing the third row will net you another 5" of headroom back there so that will certainly help to some degree for standing dogs and/or kennels. If you are looking for gobs of room with the dogs then nothing short of a Suburban, Expedition XL/Max, or Excursion will get you the real estate you seek inside. The second and third row AC in the GX is much better than the silly little vents on the back of the console in the 5th Gen. Back seat passengers would get quite uncomfortable in the summers in our 5th Gens as would the dogs, that isn't an issue in the GX.

In regards to the part-time 4WD vs. full-time 4WD systems, I too thought I'd miss the manual t-case and rear locker but in all honesty I haven't thought much about it. We no longer have to mess with shifting in and out depending on the terrain and I have yet to encounter a situation that the GX couldn't handle. I've added MTS and I still need to install the Crawl Control module and should we find that we are in need of more traction than what the center-locking diff provides I will consider installing a rear locker at that time. I love that full-time 4WD makes it a breeze for the misses since she never has to worry about messing with a transferase. You must have a full-size spare with the full-time system so keep that in mind, but that should be a given for most anyways.

Overall I think the GX is quite the step up from the 5th Gen while still keeping you in a 150-series vehicle. In a round about way the GX is everything that we wish the 5th Gen could be. The 5th Gen is definitely the more rugged and sporty looking vehicle but that's really all it has over the GX, well the lift gate and roll down rear window were nice too.

Thanks for the replies.

And yeah, I do think the GX460 will be a good step up from my 4runner. My seats aren't heated and aren't especially comfortable (though I've sat in newer 4runners and they seem to have better comfort).

The issue comes down to space and usage:
GX 460 - I know I'm going to have/want to change some things to get the vehicle situated for what I want: add full fuel tank skid plate, do rear seat removal, add a slight lift to improve ground clearance, add transmission cooler. I'm looking at $1.5k-$2k at a minimum. On top of all that, I'm just not sure if the space will be enough, especially with 2 equally sized crates. I know from owning prior vehicles that if don't make a concerted effort to set up a crate and floor area for my dog, the rear cargo area will just get destroyed. The cargo area of my current 4runner is a crime scene.

Other option seems to be go w/ domestic suburban (which isn't really an option) or get a Tundra. LC 200 I agree offers only a marginal improvement in rear cargo area and is quite a bit more expensive. Tundra wouldn't really need anything out of the box (at least for the immediate future), add a cap add a few kennels and call it good. But then I'm that guy driving around an empty 1/2 ton, only getting full usage out of it once in a blue moon.

My practical side says: just get a Tundra and be done with it. My emotional side says: get a GX 460, modify it and make it work for my needs.

Thanks for the replies.

And yeah, I do think the GX460 will be a good step up from my 4runner. My seats aren't heated and aren't especially comfortable (though I've sat in newer 4runners and they seem to have better comfort).

The issue comes down to space and usage:
GX 460 - I know I'm going to have/want to change some things to get the vehicle situated for what I want: add full fuel tank skid plate, do rear seat removal, add a slight lift to improve ground clearance, add transmission cooler. I'm looking at $1.5k-$2k at a minimum. On top of all that, I'm just not sure if the space will be enough, especially with 2 equally sized crates. I know from owning prior vehicles that if don't make a concerted effort to set up a crate and floor area for my dog, the rear cargo area will just get destroyed. The cargo area of my current 4runner is a crime scene.

Other option seems to be go w/ domestic suburban (which isn't really an option) or get a Tundra. LC 200 I agree offers only a marginal improvement in rear cargo area and is quite a bit more expensive. Tundra wouldn't really need anything out of the box (at least for the immediate future), add a cap add a few kennels and call it good. But then I'm that guy driving around an empty 1/2 ton, only getting full usage out of it once in a blue moon.

My practical side says: just get a Tundra and be done with it. My emotional side says: get a GX 460, modify it and make it work for my needs.

Tundra will get fuel economy on par with the 200/LC/LX. And I don't know about you, but I don't like having my dogs in a non-climate controlled space, especially in the winter or summer. That will be an issue with a truck and topper, just some food for thought.

Why not look at a Sequoia TRD Off Rd? I’ve owned a Platinum and it had an enormous amount of cargo space (much more than the LX570 I owned). With front and rear TRD sway bars added, it handled incredibly well. I’ve had FJC’s and new gen 4Runners. I’m in a 2017 GX now. The Sequoia wins no extra points per the head unit and dash design (it’s old), but I found it to be surprisingly underrated overall; very comfortable and capable for highway and over landing. Oh, and I’ve owned a 1794 Tundra Crew Max which was a great truck. Yet I didn’t use the bed much as my Labrador rode in the back seat. The Sequoia may surprise you.

I have owned three 4Runners ('00, '15, '17), a Tacoma and I currently own an older LC200. I also recently drove a Prado about 20 hours over 2 weeks in Costa Rica (with the diesel engine). I think everyone of them is a great vehicle and a hell of a deal for the money.

I will say thought, that the 200 is a step up in many ways. The down sides are: fuel consumption (range is terrible ~300mi) and overall exterior size on trails and tight parking lots (although way easier to park than my brother-in-law's Tundra). I love the build quality and how "solid" everything feels. The engine and drive train are wonderfully powerful and smooth. It is pretty amazing that it can be so composed on just about any trail and then able to cruise home comfortably at 85 with 4 people, a dog and 200lb of stuff on the roof). I have a Great Dane and 2 growing boys (10 & 13), so we use the larger 3rd row all the time, and I do notice a big improvement over the 4Runner as far as "usable" cargo space. Plus, the jump seats in the rear are pretty easy to take out (5 min and 3 screws per side) which gives a noticeable amount more space.

The GX is a great option (nice balance of power, durability and comfort), but before you make a final decision, I would drive and price a used LX570. New ones are as pricey as my first house, but I have seen their prices really drop when they approach 70k-80k mi, especially if you are okay with the '08-'15 interior styling. In '16 they got a makeover and 8-speed gear box, so the prices jump a lot. I would look for a clean '13, '14 or '15. Assuming they come from a dry area and have been serviced, there is no reason to think you will have any issues at all. I bought my '10 LC with 78k, 2 years ago and have had zero problems. I think LXs are cheaper than LCs because historically the AHC suspension was polarizing, but most owners on the 200 forum love it as long as you don't put too much aftermarket weight on it (bumpers, skids, etc.). Also, there are a few guys on 200 forum who are working through removing the AHC, so that might be an option too.

My LC is getting pretty heavy, so if I were to do it all over again, I might buy a '15 LX, upgrade tires mildly, wheels, skids and aluminum skid plates, roof rack and omit bumpers. That would keep the fuel mileage up, and maximize comfort.

Honestly though, we are lucky to have such great options. Good luck with your decision; its kind of a fun process.

Tundra will get fuel economy on par with the 200/LC/LX. And I don't know about you, but I don't like having my dogs in a non-climate controlled space, especially in the winter or summer.

Agreed. The only advantage of the Tundra is that you can get the big 38 gal fuel tank. It doesn't cost less, but it sure is nice to worry less about where to fill up. The unconditioned space is definitely a negative.

Tundra will get fuel economy on par with the 200/LC/LX. And I don't know about you, but I don't like having my dogs in a non-climate controlled space, especially in the winter or summer. That will be an issue with a truck and topper, just some food for thought.

Really not an issue I'm worried about. My dogs are outdoor dogs; meaning unless the temperature is well below 0 F, they are outside in a penned area (albeit with a shelter). So long as I have a cap on the truck bed and some bedding in the kennels, they'll be fine for the winter. In the summer, I keep the windows open for air circulation and I obviously don't just leave them in a car/truck for prolonged periods during hot summer days.

Why not look at a Sequoia TRD Off Rd? I’ve owned a Platinum and it had an enormous amount of cargo space (much more than the LX570 I owned). With front and rear TRD sway bars added, it handled incredibly well. I’ve had FJC’s and new gen 4Runners. I’m in a 2017 GX now. The Sequoia wins no extra points per the head unit and dash design (it’s old), but I found it to be surprisingly underrated overall; very comfortable and capable for highway and over landing. Oh, and I’ve owned a 1794 Tundra Crew Max which was a great truck. Yet I didn’t use the bed much as my Labrador rode in the back seat. The Sequoia may surprise you.

I've thought about the Sequoia...really would prefer a solid rear axle. If I'm going to go with the North American option, it would likely be the Tundra (bigger fuel tank, tow package, skids, ect.).

Honestly, I'm starting to look at heavily used LC 200's...with over 100k miles on the pre 2015's, you can find some that are mid to low of the $30k to $40k range. If that doesn't pan out, I'm having to decide between a GX 460 (which might have just enough space) or a Tundra (which would have more space than what I'd truly need). I've driven the 5.7l and the 4.6l...I'm fine with both. It really comes down to which overall vehicle package will work best for my needs.

Really not an issue I'm worried about. My dogs are outdoor dogs; meaning unless the temperature is well below 0 F, they are outside in a penned area (albeit with a shelter). So long as I have a cap on the truck bed and some bedding in the kennels, they'll be fine for the winter. In the summer, I keep the windows open for air circulation and I obviously don't just leave them in a car/truck for prolonged periods during hot summer days.

I've thought about the Sequoia...really would prefer a solid rear axle. If I'm going to go with the North American option, it would likely be the Tundra (bigger fuel tank, tow package, skids, ect.).

Honestly, I'm starting to look at heavily used LC 200's...with over 100k miles on the pre 2015's, you can find some that are mid to low of the $30k to $40k range. If that doesn't pan out, I'm having to decide between a GX 460 (which might have just enough space) or a Tundra (which would have more space than what I'd truly need). I've driven the 5.7l and the 4.6l...I'm fine with both. It really comes down to which overall vehicle package will work best for my needs.

what it’s going to come down to is if you want a higher mileage 200 or a lower mileage gx for the same price — this is if you’re shopping both at some price point.

what it’s going to come down to is if you want a higher mileage 200 or a lower mileage gx for the same price — this is if you’re shopping both at some price point.

Yeah...I'm not sure on how to proceed.

I know LC's have a good reputation, but at 120k, the next 100k of ownership will entail some maintenance and repairs I imagine.

The land Cruiser/LX frame will provide more room for 2 big dogs in the “way back,” keeping them off your leather seats. we own a 100 Series and a GX460. Than Land Cruiser’s cargo area is cavernous compared to the GX. Gas mileage in GX is great compared to LC. Both are Amazingly comfortable from the cockpit. Can go all day. Our GX has AC and heated seats...that’s the ticket! go drive a couple.

what it’s going to come down to is if you want a higher mileage 200 or a lower mileage gx for the same price

This is exactly what I struggled with. I looked for the perfect 100 series for 2 years, but eventually settle for a new 4Runner TrailI w KDSS. I ended up trading it 9-month later for an 7-year old LC with 78k mi. I made a few bucks, but they were almost the same price. It seemed ridiculous, but I grew up with LCs and I knew I wanted one. I did second guess the decision periodically for the first year, waiting for the "other shoe to drop" regarding mainenance or repair needs. But the truck makes me smile every time I drive it. It now has 96k and hasn't missed a beat. Following the 200 forum, there are lots of examples in the 200k mi range now, and they are still going strong. I wouldn't really say there are any glaring issues, and several issue found on the Tundra's engine seem to not be an issue with the LC (even though they are both 5.7L). You do need to do routine maintenance and you will replace the water pump at some point before 200k, but LCs appear to be solid.

So I think it really comes down to, which you more enjoy driving and being behind the wheel? Which makes you smile when you walk up to it in the parking lot? Which has better aftermarket support (if that is a goal)?

@Harper34 did you ever make your decision? I'm in a very similar situation right now.. New 4runner w/KDSS, used GX460, or really used LC200 (hard to fit into the garage). So many good points on this thread.

I have a 100 and a 200, and my girlfriend has a GX460. Two Ruffland intermediate crates in her GX or my 200, two Ruffland larges in the house.

Haven't tried putting the larges in side by side in any of them, but the intermediates have a few extra inches of width in the GX and are snug in the 200 with the third row seats flipped up. They definitely can go deeper in the 200 than the GX. I can throw the larges in any of them if it'll be useful to someone.

As for someone who's considering any of them, it's a difficult decision. My 100 is an earlier one so the GX460 and LX570 are lightyears ahead of it in basically every way except being 2-3x the price. The GX will get better fuel economy than the 200 and will get up any fireroad you want, no worries about capability. Could be the P tires on the GX vs the E tires on my 200 but the GX seems like a more comfortable cruiser and the 200 feels more like a utility vehicle - even with the AHC. I haven't been very impressed with the capabilities of the 4th or 5th gen 4Runners, but the GX460 holds its own against a 200 - as long as it has enough space for you.

@Harper34 did you ever make your decision? I'm in a very similar situation right now.. New 4runner w/KDSS, used GX460, or really used LC200 (hard to fit into the garage). So many good points on this thread.

Haven't made a decision yet.

I really like the LC 200, and I think the space advantage, though marginal, should help me fit to larger-sized crates. The problem with LC 200 is the price and the limited fuel capacity and the size...I know Tundra's and LC's are apples-to-oranges, but if I'm going with a behemoth of a vehicle, I might as well get the one with the larger fuel tank and infinitely more cargo space...at least that's my thought.

Right now, I only have 1 dog. He takes up much of the rear area of my 4runner, but it works. The 4runner engine, spartan interior and dated tech I'm totally fine with...the seats aren't very comfortable for longer rides and the NVH starts to wear on me (mostly road noise). I think this is a year-by-year thing, as my 2011 is tough to ride in, but I've ridden in 2015's and newer which were much more comfortable.

GX460 seems like the best compromise in terms of price, mpg, and comfort. My concern is that I wouldn't be able to fit 2 larger sized dogs (in crates).

I have a 100 and a 200, and my girlfriend has a GX460. Two Ruffland intermediate crates in her GX or my 200, two Ruffland larges in the house.

Haven't tried putting the larges in side by side in any of them, but the intermediates have a few extra inches of width in the GX and are snug in the 200 with the third row seats flipped up. They definitely can go deeper in the 200 than the GX. I can throw the larges in any of them if it'll be useful to someone.

As for someone who's considering any of them, it's a difficult decision. My 100 is an earlier one so the GX460 and LX570 are lightyears ahead of it in basically every way except being 2-3x the price. The GX will get better fuel economy than the 200 and will get up any fireroad you want, no worries about capability. Could be the P tires on the GX vs the E tires on my 200 but the GX seems like a more comfortable cruiser and the 200 feels more like a utility vehicle - even with the AHC. I haven't been very impressed with the capabilities of the 4th or 5th gen 4Runners, but the GX460 holds its own against a 200 - as long as it has enough space for you.

Yeah, showing a picture of the 2 larger crates in the GX would be immensely helpful. If those 2 larger ones can fit, that would be a deciding factor for my purchasing decision.

Last edited:
I had a 100, was looking to get a 200, and ended up with a 150. I ultimately ended up getting something smaller, as I live in Seattle, and it just fits everywhere better, in the city and on the trails. I also got a killer deal on a base model, and have been adding OEM features as I go at a fraction of the cost. Just the ones I want, no packages for thousands of dollars. All of those thousands went into suspension, wheels, tires, roof rack, and my specific little upgrades. You get the smaller size (relevant to me) of a 5th gen, but a v8, what feels like better visibility to me, and it's just nicer. Plus people always ask me... 'wait, that's a Lexus??'

I had a 100, was looking to get a 200, and ended up with a 150. I ultimately ended up getting something smaller, as I live in Seattle, and it just fits everywhere better, in the city and on the trails. I also got a killer deal on a base model, and have been adding OEM features as I go at a fraction of the cost. Just the ones I want, no packages for thousands of dollars. All of those thousands went into suspension, wheels, tires, roof rack, and my specific little upgrades. You get the smaller size (relevant to me) of a 5th gen, but a v8, what feels like better visibility to me, and it's just nicer. Plus people always ask me... 'wait, that's a Lexus??'

My sentiments exactly. We have a 200 series as well which I love and prefer on the highway, but everything else you mentioned is spot on and why we are very happy with our 150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom