Gubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tcb said:
I've got a guy in Brandon that does transfers for $15 if you have a MS CCW permit.... but then I spend the $15 I saved on gas while driving way the hell out to Brandon.

now thats what im talkin about! who is it?

Working in Delhi today, hope to leave in time to get to BTR for a dozen raw.
Sat: Bloody mary brunch in Zachary for my dad's 65th. Watch the game with my folks.
Sun: Early start to make SS and church. Find somewhere to watch the game. Wash clothes for next week.

this thread is about guns, hippie.

this thread is about guns, hippie.

Yeah, wouldn't want to mix up topics or anything....

First attempt was a 25 yard attempt due to a lack of space at my buddy's farm. Groups where tight, but all over the place. I'd wager that it was a combo of parralax error and inconsistent cheek weld from the idiot behind the trigger.. This is my first experience with a "scout" type EER scope, so kind of trial and error. Basically I scratched that whole operation, took scope off, moved rings, returned to factory zero and monkeyed with the position to get the eye relief right on it. I think I'll probably start at 50yds and if im on paper, move it back to 100 to elminate any potential parralax issues. I usually zero iron sights at 25 and have no problem with it. This scope just did not cooperate.

Second attempt was rained out because Turcotte closes the new rifle range at any sign of moisture ... i did wear the sporting clays course out, though.

That is what I found with Van's. Priced right, good service, nice inventory.

My kid weighs 53#, and the 45-70 is a kicking bitch.

I have found (from experience) that if you get a gun that kicks the crap out of them, does not fit and is loud as hell, then they will flinch, not want to shoot, and overall be set back years.

My dad handed me a H&R 20ga when I was about Will's age, loaded it with some ass kicking 6 shot and it damn neat knocked me down. Every time I saw a gun after that for 5 years I would ask "does it kick?"

I ended up getting to be a good shot with lots of practice and shot a 22-250 from 5th-8th grade. I probably shot 50-60 deer with that gun. Then one day a HUGE deer walked out at 250 yards. I shot it and it ran off.

My Dad killed the dear 3 weeks later and we got to see how the 55 grain acted on the 220# buck and I hung it up for bucks after that. I take another gun along now when I want to shoot a deer with it.

Every year some Dad will show up at my farm with their kid and we end up walking around looking for a wounded deer. A .243 is an AWESOME round, just not in the hands of a kid that does not practice.

That is what I found with Van's. Priced right, good service, nice inventory.

My kid weighs 53#, and the 45-70 is a kicking bitch.

I have found (from experience) that if you get a gun that kicks the crap out of them, does not fit and is loud as hell, then they will flinch, not want to shoot, and overall be set back years.

My dad handed me a H&R 20ga when I was about Will's age, loaded it with some ass kicking 6 shot and it damn neat knocked me down. Every time I saw a gun after that for 5 years I would ask "does it kick?"

I ended up getting to be a good shot with lots of practice and shot a 22-250 from 5th-8th grade. I probably shot 50-60 deer with that gun. Then one day a HUGE deer walked out at 250 yards. I shot it and it ran off.

My Dad killed the dear 3 weeks later and we got to see how the 55 grain acted on the 220# buck and I hung it up for bucks after that. I take another gun along now when I want to shoot a deer with it.

Every year some Dad will show up at my farm with their kid and we end up walking around looking for a wounded deer. A .243 is an AWESOME round, just not in the hands of a kid that does not practice.

I was joking about the 45/70... I'd only recommend that if you only wanted him to shoot a gun once in his life.

yeah i completely agree about the .243. im going to run one this season, but i can wait for a perfect shot.

have you thought about an h&r in 30-30 or even .44 mag? i think they make a youth stock for them. i use an h&r .44 mag for primitive season. its a 100 yd and under rifle, but recoil is mild

my h&r has given me some trouble, but im not sure if theyre all like this. it just doesnt shoot to the same place with a warm and cold barrel. i finally just sighted it for the cold barrel shot, which took forever waiting between shots.

it sure beats shooting a .45-70, though. ammo is cheaper too

I have and am not sold on the 30-30. I am sold on the T/C though. It is more expensive but man, he can just add on over time.

H&R is probably what I should do...save $200+

One of the barrels i have for my T/C is chambered in 7-30 Waters. I LOVE that round! Hard to find but I have the reloading stuff for it. That would be a great round for a T/C youth

the 7x30 waters is a 30-30 necked down to 7mm so it can shoot a 120 or 140 g bullet. with a single shot you can run spitzer type bullets in it for more range than a flat point. i think its cool

t/c chambers it in the g2 (available from buds), but as mentioned it is tough to find ammo for it unless you reload

the 7x30 waters is a 30-30 necked down to 7mm so it can shoot a 120 or 140 g bullet. with a single shot you can run spitzer type bullets in it for more range than a flat point. i think its cool

t/c chambers it in the g2 (available from buds), but as mentioned it is tough to find ammo for it unless you reload

Exactly right. 30-30 brass is abundant and easy to mod. Accurate well past 200 yards in a 14" barrel with proper rest. Taken many deer with that shooter.

So Will worked out the eye-relief problems pretty well on Friday and Saturday with the 10/22. He figured it out finally and was really hammering the target at 50 yards. He was 19/20 on the last two magazines.

I swapped in the .308 Model 7 and we went hunting.

We practiced lowering the window and getting lined up. I forgot to show him where the safety was.

I flipped it for him when we had 5 walk out. He picked the biggest and hammered it at 73 yards.

First ever deer hunt, first ever deer. One shot, one kill. He loved it.

IMG4506-X2.jpg

Nice! Did you bloody him up?

Love the .308 round. My step Dad had one that I inherited after his death. Went from a 7mm mag to that last year and loved it.

awesome ... you gotta do the ritual!

cant go wrong w the 308. i can share a couple handload recipes if you'll sign a liability waiver ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom