Guage light hook up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a small light for my cheap mechnical stewart warner gauges that don't even come with a back light. The light I bought has only one wire coming out if it, I would like to wire it up to work with my dimmer switch. Itis only a 12V bulb, will it work for a while or is it a bad Idea hooking it up to the dimmer switch when the gauges are getting 24vs?

ANy ideas guys?

A 12v light won't last in a 24v system...it will see double the amperage and will burn out quickly (but it will be very bright just before that :D). Just go to your local parts supply store and see if there's a 24v equivalent. Hella makes lots of 24v dash bulbs, and JP Toyota here in Surrey still stocks 24v bulbs...I'm sure one of those would be the right choice. Maybe post up a pic or part number of the bulb for us to see?

I have wired my gauge lights in series have done 2 and 3 guages, this works fine on the 24v systems.

Michael

I have a 24v light bylb to put in it now, any ideas on where I should wire it up too? the dimmer switch?

I tapped into the light on the lighter socket of my 60 then it dims like the rest of the dash lights. Easy like snot.

I decided to put my gauges over buy the dimmer switch because I didn't really like the look of them in the middle. humm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom