GRRR with a Stocker (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I've been following the other GRRR threads, but they seem to be focused trucks with lifts. Mine is from a stock suspension and happens between 45 - 65 mph and go away with a shaft removed. It sounds like WWII fighter jet and there is a slight vibe in the floor pan. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the front.

I've read up and tried all of the suggestions to isolate the problem including coasting down a hill in neutral and then with the t-case in neutral. The noise is the same. It seems to be louder when accelerating, but not by much.

This weekend I've done the following:
- Changed to diff fluid and t-case fluid, no change
- Greased all u-joints and shafts, no change
- Cleaned an regreased FR and RR shafts, no change
- Removed each drive shaft and driven, no change. Everyone that reports a GRRR with a lift says it goes away with one of the shafts removed.
- Check fr and rr flange bearing for play, no play and no roughness
- Check both t-case outputs for play. They all check out, with no sweating around the seal.
- Dropped the tranny fluid and replaced 3 L.

N.B. One thing with the tranny, it seems that I was running 1.5L of fluid more than recommended. The place I bought it from must have put in enough for to fill from empty not knowing the drain does not drain all the fluid.

Next I'm going to do a full FR and RR birf job.

Any suggestions, comments, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

The tires or kuckles would be the next place I'd check. Do you feel any vibration through to the steering wheel???

Rotate and balance tires...

Just throwing out some ideas.

I thought of that, I recently rotated the wheels and nothing. There is no vibration through the wheels, but there is a bit of wander. Probably because the suspension is 8 years old.

aamiggia said:
Hey guys,

...Mine is from a stock suspension and happens between 45 - 65 mph and go away with a shaft removed....

- Removed each drive shaft and driven, no change. Everyone that reports a GRRR with a lift says it goes away with one of the shafts removed

Alex:

Can you clarify the above - the first point seems to imply that you don't have the noise when you remove a shaft, the second seems to say that you do?

Is this a constant noise when you are 45 - 65mph or every now and then? Depending on the noise, you may want to pull the dust caps on the front axles and see if the ends of the splines are greased. As I think I mentioned to you, mine made a strange noise and it was likely a dry bronze bushing (that ended up failing).

Are the drive shafts in the correct phase?

Maybe bring it to the LRAA meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) and we can have a look / listen? As it stands, I plan to attend the meeting (same place on Queen St - fire me an email)

Cheers, Hugh

Just to clarify the noise is still there after the shaft removal and constant. It varies with speed and seems to get slightly better after 100 kmh. The shafts are in phase.

Is the bronze bushing replaced during a axle service? I'm due for one very soon. In the mean time, how do I check for this bushing.

The wheel bearings are next with the axle service. Is there a way to check them with out a tear down? There are ni strange noises while turning, although there is a good amount of grease in the diff. fluid.

Are there grease points for the axles? If so where?

Hugh, I'll see if I can make the meeting.

Generally, it is not replaced during the servicing. If you pull the small dust cap off the end of the axle (pry it off with a screw driver or a few light taps on screw driver with hammer) you should see the end of the outter axle spline (this is basically where you start the birf job). Have a look at the exposed portion of the shaft - a very small bit - you should be able to see grease. If not, the outter shaft may not have been greased and this could be causing your noise.

If you do need to replace the bushing it would likely be a special order. Let me know when you plan to do the work and I'll see if I can drop by!

No grease points on the axle aside from the birf fill plug. No use taking off the parts to check the outter axle seal as this is basically part of the birf repack process. You can at least check for play in some of the bearings by jacking the truck and giving the wheeel a '12 and 6' shake. Going any further in a tear down is of less use as it's part of the birf job. Do you also have wet grease on the 'balls' to show that the seal is shot? If you don't plan to do the birf for some time, doing a tear down to the wheel bearings isn't too bad.

PS - give me a call before you place your order and I'll tell you about a few extra parts that you may want to order.

Cheers, Hugh

The GRRR is gone!

So I rebuilt my front end this weekend.

I always wondered why every newb that did the service posted his results. Now I know because it is very time consuming and fulfilling in the end.

It looks like my vibes and GRRR were from a DS hub with no bearing preload. There must have been play in the hub bearings. I could have undone the inside lock nut with my hand. I bet the lock washer was the only thing holding it on.

I gave myself a pat on the back for a job well done and went for a test drive. I heard a loud DONK when I hit the brakes :confused:. That's when I realized that I didn't tighten the DS caliper bolts :doh: :doh:

Needless to say one bolt came off. So I took off on my bike to find it. An hour later and no luck I retuned home empty handed only to see that the bolt was caught up in the ABS sensor bracket. :bounce: I bolted the caliper up and torqued the s*** out of them (90 lbf). Needless to say, I'm a strong believer in KARMA and I have a better appreciation for the show My Name Is Earl.

Too bad this morning the LX is throughing a CEL :frown:

Alex,

Is your Grrrrr gone?

I'd just forget about the CEL for a little while :)

Yes, The GRRR is gone.

Previous to the axle rebuild I removed both the front a rear shafts (at different times ofcourse) and the noise persisted. It definitely seemed like it was coming from the front end.

I'm sure it was loose (play from lack of preload) or warn DS hub bearings. Now the truck drives smooth and silky. I still have to change a worn U-joint, but that is not the source of the GRRRRs and vibes.

For anyone with a stock suspension and a GRRRR noise with or without vibrations, check the drive shaft U-joints, then check the hub bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom