Group-31 size battery in a '99 100? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Panasonic in my '99 100 is starting to fail, so it's time to look for a new battery.

Has anyone managed to stuff a Group-31 size battery in the standard battery location?

Odyssey has the PC2150. It's a Group-31 battery with great specs (on paper at least). It measures 13.0" L x 6.8" W x 9.4" H. The length and width look like they won't be a problem, but the height is very close. The 9.4" height includes the posts which are 0.882" high.

A detailed drawing is on the Preliminary Specifications

It has 3/8" stud posts so obviously some custom battery connectors and a custom holddown will be nessecary.

Here are the Specs:
  • 12 Volts
  • 1090 CCA
  • 1545 HCA
  • 1370 MCA
  • 100 AH at a 20 hour rate
  • 95 AH at a 10 hour rate
  • 200 Minute Reserve Capacity
  • 13 Inches Long
  • 6.8 Inches Wide
  • 9.4 Inches Tall
  • 75 Pounds
  • 3/8" Stud Terminals
  • 5000 Amp Short Circuit Current

If the PC2150 doesn't fit, I'm sure the PC1700 will, but I'd rather have the larger battery if possible.

I've also thought of the Lifeline AGM Marine battery or the Roll's flooded Marine battery, but the Odyssey seems like the best.

My "dual battery" plan is to have the largest main battery as possible with deep cycle capability, and either a priority start or a small backup battery to self-jump start.

I use to run a p1700 and fit fine. Watch the height.

Hi Norcal,

I have a 99 LC and live in the bay area as well. I am running dual batteries, with Optima D31A Yellowtop as the main and a D34/78 Yellowtop as the 2nd battery. I also have a priority start, which makes it convenient to mount the factory harness.

PHYSICAL SPECS OF D31A :
Length 12-13/16"
Width 6-1/2"
Height 9-3/8"

Comparing the D31A to the PC2150, they are pretty similar in size.

Cheers,
Mike
D31A 2.jpg

FYI...just replaced the stock Panasonic battery on my '99 last week. Ended up going with the Excide Orbital. Had to change battery clamps, do a little rewiring...not a problem. Looks good, tastes great and less filling :D

However the Group 31 sounds interesting too.

Oh yeh...had to add a 1/2" plastic spacer at the top so the clamp would tighten down on the Orbital...

What is the Odessey's warranty? And are there plenty of Odessey dealers around to honor the warranty?

I had to return an Odyssey battery recently under its 2 year warranty. They tested it and sent me a new one immediately. I called Odyssey at the time and they said that any dealer should be able to honor the warranty but it is much "nicer" to return it to the place I bought it.

I bought it from Battery Mart and do recommend them.
They have the PC2150 for $240 and the PC1700MJT (metal jacket) for $196.

FWIW, if the vehicle stays parked for extended periods of time, a battery tender is a must.

Yes. I put a block of wood under it to raise it up and fit fine. Make sure you get the positive and negative posts in the right place.

uzj100

Followup

First-off, thanks for all the comments...

I ended up buying a Group-31 Lifeline AGM Marine starting battery. It was cheaper and had similar specs to the Odyssey. It was also in stock at a local battery store. Lineline seems to have a good reputation in the boating world.

The model is GPL-3100T.

Deep-Cycle capable
100 amp hours
228 minutes Reserve Capacity @ 25 amps

It fits fine, but the terminals are reversed. I spent the last few hours fabricating a new hold-down bracket. It doesn't look like it will be much trouble to swap and extend the battery cables.

I'll post some pictures when it's all installed.

Lifeline Group-31 Battery Installed

I got the Lifeline battery in. It fits great and the LC turns over really well.

attachment.php

I built a new hold-down from 1/4" steel and 3/4" square tubing as spacers.

I extended the positive cable by removing the battery clamp from the starter cable/fuse holder that normally attaches to the battery post. It's just one bolt. Then I attached a 15" positive battery cable. The fuse holder assembly was then strapped to the battery with some really long zip-ties and double stick tape.

The negative cable is long enough to connect directly, but the grounding wire to the body needs to be disconnected. I replaced it with a 19" heavy gauge cable connected to the top of the battery post. The battery posts of this battery are
dual purpose so they are threaded on top.

I've attached a picture of the final result. If you want more details let me know.
IMG_8249.jpg

i just ordered a Odyssey 1700 for stock tray in my 100, the Slee tray will get an Orbital, which I have had very good luck with.

I have a pair(1200's) in my fj40, very happy with them

Hey NorCal '99...where did you put your alternator fuse box? Did you ziptie it to the new battery? Or?

Yep I used two extra long industrial zip-ties and some double-stick tape. It's not going anywhere. I have some more pictures I can dig up if you are interested.

Just got back from a three week roadtrip (Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Arches, Canyonland's White Rim Trail!, Natural Bridges, Capital Reef, Bryce, Zion, Las Vegas, Death Valley's Titus Canyon. Mammoth Lakes) and the new battery performed great. We had the radio and a Laptop computer running off it for hours and absolutely no hesitation when starting.

Wow...sounds like a great trip. I recently redid the whole battery cable thing too...and added a second battery. I like your idea on the zip-tie/tape thing...I'll probably use velcro just in case I ever need to access the box. Thanks!

Stock Panasonic

I have a '99 with the original Panasonic battery and it still doing fine. I'm very happy with it and when the time comes to replace, I want to replace it with another Panasonic; however, I've not been able to find a Panasonic battery dealer in So. CA. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt you will find the same battery even at the Toyota dealer, but that is where I would look. They should have something that will fit properly in the original space.

When I went to Pep Boys and looked up the battery for the LC the listed battery was smaller with less capacity and would not fit the stock location:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom