Grinding Noise Left Side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Team,

1992 Landcruiser VX Limited, 50mm lift (hard springs) corrected castor bushing, 33 12.5 15 tires, extended brake lines and diff breather. Triple Locked w 4spd Auto.

With the 50mm lift it all has standard drive shaft and worked without issues no noise or anything just after when weve installed a part time kit it started.

The diff was checked not long ago with fresh oil.

The transfer case has been inspected and checked prior to putting on the part time kit on it.

-Then we installed part time with locking hubs.

-We tested wether all hubs working and they ware no noise at all but once I hit the highway it began when driving around 30kph on free hubs you would hear this grinding noise from the front left.This sound would last around 1-5 seconds depending on how you would hold the accelerator and also happends during decelaration ( just before you place pressure on the gas pedal and lifting it off). No noise at all from 1st gear to 4th at first until decelaration sound then it start within that manner it is even worst around around 100kph.

We've checked the shaft and hubs they all feel and look fine with seals and hubs was done 7k.

Yeah idk what causing it its annoying me. Please help. Thanks in advance

bearing , would be the best suspect
jack up the left wheel and try to wiggle the wheel holding it at 12 ad 6 .
must be firm but not blocked

So this only occurs with the hubs unlocked (free position)? I'd just pull the locking hub on the side with the noise and inspect it. Look in particular for signs of wear where it engages with the axle. It's a really simple mechanism, it should be easy enough to troubleshoot.

One thing I've seen myself is applying too much grease here can be a problem. If you use a thick grease like wheel bearing grease, less is more. With the AISIN hubs, which I'm assuming you're using, when changing from lock to free, it's only spring tension pulling back the gear to disengage from the axle. If you've got too much grease, the grease can start creating suction or otherwise getting in the way.

Maybe crack it open and take a look? Only six bolts and one gasket for that one IIRC. If you're still stumped, post some pictures and see if anyone can spot anything amiss?

Are you positive the front DS is NOT turning when in part time and the hubs unlocked? Otherwise, it could be the birf rubbing in the spindle bushing that may be under-greased.

Otherwise, having the hub installed improperly. I have not done this with an Aisin hub, but with a warn hub on a Chevy, I got a washer in backwards on one side and it ground it up and ended up killing the bearing. Maybe a possibility of something installed incorrectly.

Hello Team,

1992 Landcruiser VX Limited, 50mm lift (hard springs) corrected castor bushing, 33 12.5 15 tires, extended brake lines and diff breather. Triple Locked w 4spd Auto.

With the 50mm lift it all has standard drive shaft and worked without issues no noise or anything just after when weve installed a part time kit it started.

The diff was checked not long ago with fresh oil.

The transfer case has been inspected and checked prior to putting on the part time kit on it.

-Then we installed part time with locking hubs.

-We tested wether all hubs working and they ware no noise at all but once I hit the highway it began when driving around 30kph on free hubs you would hear this grinding noise from the front left.This sound would last around 1-5 seconds depending on how you would hold the accelerator and also happends during decelaration ( just before you place pressure on the gas pedal and lifting it off). No noise at all from 1st gear to 4th at first until decelaration sound then it start within that manner it is even worst around around 100kph.

We've checked the shaft and hubs they all feel and look fine with seals and hubs was done 7k.

Yeah idk what causing it its annoying me. Please help. Thanks in advance

So this only occurs with the hubs unlocked (free position)? I'd just pull the locking hub on the side with the noise and inspect it. Look in particular for signs of wear where it engages with the axle. It's a really simple mechanism, it should be easy enough to troubleshoot.

One thing I've seen myself is applying too much grease here can be a problem. If you use a thick grease like wheel bearing grease, less is more. With the AISIN hubs, which I'm assuming you're using, when changing from lock to free, it's only spring tension pulling back the gear to disengage from the axle. If you've got too much grease, the grease can start creating suction or otherwise getting in the way.

Maybe crack it open and take a look? Only six bolts and one gasket for that one IIRC. If you're still stumped, post some pictures and see if anyone can spot anything amiss?
We've opened the hubs for inspection, no signs of metal wear we could see and we have also tighten the wheel bearing at the same time just to make sure.

When we lifted it on the hoist we checked both side, I was thinking might need new hubs as the hubs we used has been used before quite hard.Then placed it all together and took it for a test drive for at least 10mins no noise anymore then just before I left the place heard a thud sound when slowly driving away, then it started again. The guy that helped me installed the hubs knows quite well as he installed them to 4 other cruisers all fine.

I was reading other threads could it be the angle of my shaft? But It shouldn't matter on the front as it on free wheeling and I could turn the front ds without problem. Or could it be the back?

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom