Grind when going into park (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wheeling the other weekend and while I was in low range it started grinding while shifting into park. I can replicate the sound it only does it in low range and does it both with and without the cdl engaged. I assume it's a parking pin issue, but I don't know why it would only happen in low if that's the case.

For the park pawl to skip, the transmission output shaft has to be turning, it should not be turning when the vehicle is stopped. Do you have crawler gears in the transfer?

For the park pawl to skip, the transmission output shaft has to be turning, it should not be turning when the vehicle is stopped. Do you have crawler gears in the transfer?
Nope no crawler gears, only thing I have is a part time kit. Grinds at a complete stop. It doesn't grind if you slot it in fairly quick.

Video I took of the noise.

Video I took of the noise.

I would possibly look at a linkage adjustment. When your T-Case is in low, is it possible it's not actually engaged and it's in neutral. thus, allowing the output shaft to spin as you pass through Reverse?

Maybe yank more on your TC shifter to see if you can force it to NOT do it?

Could you have bent your linkage yanking on it on your last wheeling trip?

Maybe a broken motor / trans mount that has caused linkage to "shift" a little out of adjustment? I'm kinda fishing here.........

I'll give all that a look but, it feels like it's slotting firmly into low. It almost wants to pull forward a bit as it makes the sound, but that might just be the driveline unloading.

What year is your truck? It sounds definitely like the output shaft is still turning but the power isn’t getting to the wheels.

What year is your truck? It sounds definitely like the output shaft is still turning but the power isn’t getting to the wheels.
94 it drives fine in low and doesn't have any issues shifting between the other gears

94 it drives fine in low and doesn't have any issues shifting between the other gears

Any other odd behavior in high, like slow response?

If you put it in neutral before putting it into park, is it fine then? My drivetrain winds up substantially and will grind if i slam it into park without a quick jaunt to neutral first.

If I move from reverse to park quickly it's usually not an issue. I'll give neutral a shot tomorrow.

If I move from reverse to park quickly it's usually not an issue. I'll give neutral a shot tomorrow.
I would love to know mine started making that noise today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom