Green Trails @ Rausch Creek - What Do I Need to do to my 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just do what I did the first time ... show up in a basically stock truck on 33s with no front bumper, hungover like a champ, no recovery gear, no gear to air up/down and feel like a moron. Proceed to bang into and scrape over every rock and line everyone else negotiates with ease. Then go home and start buying things.

Don't let Blair fool you, I did one of the green trail rides and a few guys got some trail cred scars. The past 2-3 times out I was surprised how difficult some of the green trails had become. That being said, a good spotter and the right line will go a long way. I had great spotters and always followed another 80 Series (shoutout to my personal trail guide Vince) when I went out, so that makes things much easier. There was a stock GX out on green trails that made it out with zero damage, so your 40 should be just fine.

When it comes to kinetic ropes - do folks generally follow the “2-3x vehicle weight” guideline to determine rope size?

I do not have an answer for that question, but will tell you this...

I don't have one, and never used one, basic straps and winching will do the job.

However, last year in Colorado, we had a guy in our group damage his rear diff and was unable to drive it off the trail. We had to tow him a long distance, some sections of which were blue trails, to get to a main road. t

This would have been a real chore with a basic strap. We used a kinetic rope and it worked like a charm. Ben @fireball had the rope, he might have an answer for you.

I intend to be adding one to my recovery bag...

Another use for the kenetic ropes may be sand where you need speed to get some one out.

Give these guys a call. Used to be SE Overland and are always friendly.

Also, if you take a look at the “ARB recovery kit” it will give you ideas as to what you might want in your kit.

As others have mentioned kinetic recovery vs Tow strap are two different animals. It’s pretty hard to use a kinetic recovery strap/ rope in tight woods but it’s good for yanking someone out of the mud or sand. They are designed to stretch and rebound giving you a much softer recovery. Trying to use a tow strap in that situation would/could/can cause the strap to fail or damage to the vehicles.

Having a few shackles, tree-saver (useful if you have a winch), tow strap, snatch strap (kinetic recovery), fire extinguisher are all useful tools to have in your rig. Some like Hi-lifts but I’ve always done just fine with a bottle jack and some ingenuity.

I have a soft bag for tools. I carry a metric set of sockets, wrenches, a cordless impact driver, vise-grips, adjustable wrench, wire cutters, hammer (BFH-mini sledge), fuses, electric tape, wire, tire repair kit... just to give you an idea to work off of.

And whatever common parts that are known to fail on a 40.

Thanks guys -

So it sounds like I’d be at least reasonable prepared with:

- A GMRS Radio - (do you guys usually use rig mounted radios w/ remote antennas or walkie talkies?)

- a snatch strap - still curious what weight I’d need here. Seems like the general consensus from reading around MUD is that folks are generally using 7/8” or 1” but a lot of that info is from folks with heavier rigs - so still interested in input here.

- D-rings and/or soft shackles

- maybe a D-ring hitch for the rear bumper for a recovery option. Front I might need to use the stock hooks.

- A bigger fire extinguisher - my little 1lber probably won’t cut it. 5lbs?

- ways to secure the high lift and fire extinguisher.

- I already have a high lift jack, “walking” chains to convert it to a poor-man’s winch, plus a tree saver, and some grade 80 or 100 3/8 chain. I know chains are old technology at this point - but my high lift needs the links to “walk” when winching.

I just carry a Burl!!

Green trails you will probably only need some hand tools to fix something that vibrates loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom