Greater Boston area owners thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi guys I’m also Boston based (Hyde Park). I picked up a new to me 100 and would love to put her through her paces. I’ve already swapped out the tired oem suspension for a Dobinsons kit and spc upper’s and had some meaty Ko2’s mounted. In the past I have had the Nauset beach ORV pass and plan to get out there again this summer (birds permitting) but would also like to check out some new areas.

View attachment 1978968
Welcome! Good to see another hundy! There are a lot of other places to go. Mainline Overland and Ridgeback Guide services do rides in NH and VT (for a fee) which would definitely give you some trail exposure.

Thank you for the suggestions 4Beast. I think I will jump in on Mainline Overlands June 15 trail ride after talking with Eric I should be good with my current setup. 👍

Thank you for the suggestions 4Beast. I think I will jump in on Mainline Overlands June 15 trail ride after talking with Eric I should be good with my current setup. 👍
Awesome, it should be a great time and you won't be the only 100 there, I think Chris will be there with his 99 (although his is built). They will tailor the ride to the trucks and drivers who go...

Hi guys, I live in Stoneham and need some help fixing the left front knuckle on my 80. I’m also getting a pretty bad click when turning left. Birfield?

Anyone have a mechanic they can recommend? I searched and the last recommended Mechanic was from a post over a year old.

Thanks!

D90E9891-75B5-4004-B549-43C391864E95.jpeg

79742009-3055-4261-A94E-8645F995899D.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi guys, I live in Stoneham and need some help fixing the left front knuckle on my 80. I’m also getting a pretty bad click when turning left. Birfield?

Anyone have a mechanic they can recommend? I searched and the last recommended Mechanic was from a post over a year old.

Thanks!

View attachment 2024701

View attachment 2024702
I'd still recommend Volsar in Medford (which should be quite close to you), in fact I may be dropping my truck there tomorrow for a few things...

@F80FJ : Either Volsar or Vinnie's Autosport in Medford. I don't have personal experience with Volsar but have a few friends who say that they're very familiar with LCs and do good work. Vinnie has worked on my truck a few times and he's about as honest as they come. You can't go wrong either way!

@F80FJ : Either Volsar or Vinnie's Autosport in Medford. I don't have personal experience with Volsar but have a few friends who say that they're very familiar with LCs and do good work. Vinnie has worked on my truck a few times and he's about as honest as they come. You can't go wrong either way!

Thanks! I just spoke with Vinnie and he said he’s too old to work on heavy stuff like LC axels. I have an appointment today with Volsar.

@F80FJ : That sounds about right! I've gotten into his shop a few times and he's been beat up from a weekend of motorcycle racing or rallying, I think he's getting to the point where he's able to pick/choose his work and sometimes that means he doesn't want to do the job. Oh well, I'm sure Volsar will do a great job.

At the end of the day, I want the kind of guy who races on the weekends working on my truck!

Thanks! I just spoke with Vinnie and he said he’s too old to work on heavy stuff like LC axels. I have an appointment today with Volsar.
I told Gus at Volsar to look out for an 80 series looking for knuckle work. My truck is there now getting skid plates put on, among other things...

Thanks!

View attachment 2024701

View attachment 2024702

This underbody looks great! Nice truck!

Hey everyone. I picked up a LX470 in December from SC and have been itching to get it into a proper mechanic with experience and found this thread while looking. I'll look Vinnie up! Thanks
IMG_20181205_150748.jpg

Nice truck! Vinnie no longer works on land cruisers and Volsar is crazy expensive and they don’t let you use your own parts. I’m still trying to find an honest shop.

Nice truck! Vinnie no longer works on land cruisers and Volsar is crazy expensive and they don’t let you use your own parts. I’m still trying to find an honest shop.
Ugh... thanks for the quick follow up! I'm purchasing a boat soon and want to make sure this thing is ready to tow. I guess I'll start poking around the local garages more to feel them out.

Ugh... thanks for the quick follow up! I'm purchasing a boat soon and want to make sure this thing is ready to tow. I guess I'll start poking around the local garages more to feel them out.
I thought the latest was that Vinnie doesn't do heavy work like Land Cruiser axles, but may still other stuff on them.
Volsar's shop rate is $97/hr I think, which is probably slightly higher than some and less than a lot of others, especially the dealer. They are fine with bringing in parts, at least they have been for me bringing skid plates, a light bar, full dual battery setup, always-on outlet wiring, winch, brass heater T's and so on.

@ZwhoHeBe: I think Vinnie is just being selective about his work, he just worked on my buddies 4Runner V8 Limited and did a full exhaust but I think he's at the point in his business where he can pick and choose what kind of work he does. I've also heard Volsar is great but as with most things in a major metro area, you might have to pay for good work!

Personally, I'd much rather pay up for someone familiar with cruisers but I know that may not always be the right answer. Welcome to the club, that's good looking truck you've got there! Is that an '06/'07? I see the spoiler but the wheels look like they are from an '05 or earlier. That gray would have been my first choice but I couldn't say no to a nearly rust free 100.

Thanks it's a 2000. After looking for months I was ready to go anywhere and this one just happened. A few surprises after I got off the plane that weren't disclosed but all in all I can't complain. I replaced the radiator after it died the night of the super bowl. Thing looked like it was the original radiator. 220k! Not sure if that's possible but it clearly wasn't used to the cold. I'll reach out to Vinnie anyhow. Thanks for the info much appreciated

In another thread somewhere, I read about BDS automotive out in Metro west or Framingham. According to what I read, they are quite versed in 4wd trucks, working or rovers and Toyotas. I only know what I read so YMMV. I know one rover guy personally who uses them and trusts them.

If you don’t mind the drive or picking through the schedule, Mainline Overland up in Bow has a really good tech for LCs. Their shop rate is higher than @4Beast mentioned above for Volsar, but they definitely let you bring your own parts (I just brought some cruiser outfitter stuff) and they have a good relationship with their local Toyota dealer for OEM parts.

I’m currently getting both lower control arms done, along with some trail tailor extended sway bar links (front and rear) and even some new rubber on the tires.

I like to support shops that support us in this hobby and Mainline definitely does...

In another thread somewhere, I read about BDS automotive out in Metro west or Framingham. According to what I read, they are quite versed in 4wd trucks, working or rovers and Toyotas. I only know what I read so YMMV. I know one rover guy personally who uses them and trusts them.

If you don’t mind the drive or picking through the schedule, Mainline Overland up in Bow has a really good tech for LCs. Their shop rate is higher than @4Beast mentioned above for Volsar, but they definitely let you bring your own parts (I just brought some cruiser outfitter stuff) and they have a good relationship with their local Toyota dealer for OEM parts.

I’m currently getting both lower control arms done, along with some trail tailor extended sway bar links (front and rear) and even some new rubber on the tires.

I like to support shops that support us in this hobby and Mainline definitely does...
Those are great suggestions that are a little further afield. BDS definitely seems to be good (and anyone who makes a living wrenching on Rovers is certainly experienced!) and Mainline are great and as @cboyd said, and definitely work on a lot of Yotas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom