Greater Boston area owners thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi guys I’m also Boston based (Hyde Park). I picked up a new to me 100 and would love to put her through her paces. I’ve already swapped out the tired oem suspension for a Dobinsons kit and spc upper’s and had some meaty Ko2’s mounted. In the past I have had the Nauset beach ORV pass and plan to get out there again this summer (birds permitting) but would also like to check out some new areas.

View attachment 1978968
I’m in Hyde Park too! Right off Milton street.

Hi All, 200 owner here. Live in south Boston.

I just reached out to main line in NH for install on a couple parts, was told they don’t install customer supplied parts. Any other recs for shops in New England that work on 200’s?

67F89ACC-6D5A-473A-820A-4404B91D10B7.jpeg

@CT3 What kind of parts you want help to install?
Prinsu rack, safari snorkel, and light bar for the rack. Planning to use a simple CH4x4 OE style switch instead of the more complicated switch systems, seems unlikely I’ll be adding anything else that requires switches...

I am/was planning to get some KO2s on at the same time. But that can obviously be done separately.

Prinsu rack, safari snorkel, and light bar for the rack. Planning to use a simple CH4x4 OE style switch instead of the more complicated switch systems, seems unlikely I’ll be adding anything else that requires switches...

I am/was planning to get some KO2s on at the same time. But that can obviously be done separately.

Beside Mainline in NH, there is another company near Boston can assist. Try Roko Vehicle LLC in Natick. They assist customer build overland rig. Give Jon a call and see if he can assist.

Reactions: CT3
Beside Mainline in NH, there is another company near Boston can assist. Try Roko Vehicle LLC in Natick. They assist customer build overland rig. Give Jon a call and see if he can assist.
Will do thanks!

@CT3 - Volsar Automotive north of the city is generally considered a good Cruiser friendly shop but I can't speak specifically about customer supplied parts. I like Vinnie Auto Sport in Somerville too but I think he's dialing back his work these days as he's hard to get ahold of.

Also, Wellesley Toyota will install some aftermarket parts (they did rear spacers for me). If you go that route, talk to Matt in service and tell him Pete with the Land Cruiser sent you, he's a good guy.

Reactions: CT3
@CT3 - Volsar Automotive north of the city is generally considered a good Cruiser friendly shop but I can't speak specifically about customer supplied parts. I like Vinnie Auto Sport in Somerville too but I think he's dialing back his work these days as he's hard to get ahold of.

Also, Wellesley Toyota will install some aftermarket parts (they did rear spacers for me). If you go that route, talk to Matt in service and tell him Pete with the Land Cruiser sent you, he's a good guy.
Sounds good. Wellesley Toyota is my backup option at this point, I have inquiries in at three shops at this point —I assume one of them most be able to help me for a somewhat reasonable price haha.
Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone, I just bought my first 100 series - a 2001 LX that's been in California it's whole life. I drove it home to Cambridge in December. Excited to finally be an owner after all these months of researching, searching, and lurking this site! The prior owner kept it in great shape and started me off in a good place with the dissent front and rear bumpers, SCS F5s, comeup winch and more

Appreciate all of you that posted mechanic recommendations, I got a nice short list and plan on bringing it somewhere soon to spray the undercarriage and let me know what items need addressing first. I want to do most of the maintenance and light repairs myself, but I still have a lot to learn and don't really have the space to do it here in the city. If there are any other 100 series owners nearby with the space, knowledge, and willingness to teach - let me know! In exchange for some assistance and lessons, I'd be happy to pay for some parts and help out with your own builds/repairs. I'll bring the beers too

Here's some shots of the new LX in NE and SD from my cross country voyage:
PXL_20211219_183130103.jpg
PXL_20211219_230152966.jpg

Hey everyone, I just bought my first 100 series - a 2001 LX that's been in California it's whole life.
Welcome to the UZJ100 club, they are amazing trucks. I owned a '99 for 10 years, best truck I have ever owned. Im many ways, wish I didn't sell. But rust.... Landtank did a lot of work on mine (at the 200K mile point), but I worked with a couple local shops near Cambridge too for routine service. and maintenance. Happy to share with you, feel free to PM me. Need to check and see if one of the guys is still working or retired.

Hey folks! Live full-time in Sutton, south of Worcester, but also have a summer spot in Harwich.

This is my recently-acquired 2006 that spent the first 13 years of her life in North Carolina.

PXL_20220107_155540913.jpg

Welcome to the UZJ100 club, they are amazing trucks. I owned a '99 for 10 years, best truck I have ever owned. Im many ways, wish I didn't sell. But rust.... Landtank did a lot of work on mine (at the 200K mile point), but I worked with a couple local shops near Cambridge too for routine service. and maintenance. Happy to share with you, feel free to PM me. Need to check and see if one of the guys is still working or retired.
Thanks - I'd appreciate any recommendations on Cambridge shops.
I saw some good things about BDR Automotive in Holliston. I think I'm going to bring the LX very soon to get a waxoyl treatment given this is a CA car and has minimal surface rust, wish I had done it before this snow storm. Has anyone here had waxoyl professionally applied? Been reading a lot of the rust prevention threads but most of them are DIY, and snow on the ground plus street parking is going to make any DIY extremely difficult.

Thanks - I'd appreciate any recommendations on Cambridge shops.
I saw some good things about BDR Automotive in Holliston. I think I'm going to bring the LX very soon to get a waxoyl treatment given this is a CA car and has minimal surface rust, wish I had done it before this snow storm. Has anyone here had waxoyl professionally applied? Been reading a lot of the rust prevention threads but most of them are DIY, and snow on the ground plus street parking is going to make any DIY extremely difficult.
I would recommend Roko in Wellesley. Happy to make the introduction for you, Jon/Nai are great guys. They’ve built mine for me and did fluid film for me on both the 2015 and 2020 a few weeks ago.

Attached is a photo of my LC with one of my buddies in his Taco that Roko built as well.

31B1D2DB-C2EA-4484-BE26-9B55D9604022.jpeg

I would recommend Roko in Wellesley. Happy to make the introduction for you, Jon/Nai are great guys. They’ve built mine for me and did fluid film for me on both the 2015 and 2020 a few weeks ago.

Attached is a photo of my LC with one of my buddies in his Taco that Roko built as well.

View attachment 2886898
I'll second this, what little I have talked to Nai, he came across as a good guy and all my service experience with Wellesley Toyota has been pretty stellar so I can imagine you get the same at Roko.

@LXzibit : Volsar in Medford is a GREAT option as well (think I've mentioned that here before). I'm north of the city in Winchester and will likely be doing some light wrenching in the not too distant future, I'll let you know if you want to swing by for a bit. I'm far from knowledgable but at least I know enough to stop when I'm out of my element so as not to break anything!

Fortune favors the bold! Just have a box of Kleenex waiting in the wings.
A fair point! And I’m willing to take on a little more risk now that we have a second car, but at one point the cruiser was our sole vehicle which made me even less inclined to mess with it. Perhaps it’s time to change, I do miss some good wrenching days..

A fair point! And I’m willing to take on a little more risk now that we have a second car, but at one point the cruiser was our sole vehicle which made me even less inclined to mess with it. Perhaps it’s time to change, I do miss some good wrenching days..
Back in 2003 I decided to do the HG on my 80 as the failure rate was climbing on MUD. The truck was my daily driver and I do field service so no truck no work. I took a week off and decided to do a repair that I’ve never done before. Just as I finished torquing down the head and moved back off the truck my left elbow caught the cam sprocket and I heard a snap!

I had broken the right chain slipper and took a job that was a couple of hours away from completion and turned into 10 more hours, a part order, needing to find a torque wrench that would go to 305ftlbs and something to drive for work.

I thought I was going to puke. But worked through it and that truck is still in service today, same HG I put in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom