Greater Boston area owners thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey everyone! I've been on mud for a while but actually just now found this thread. When I'm not at school in CT I live just outside Franklin with my 62!

IMG_E5950.JPG

Hingham. Although I do almost everything myself, I’d love to find a knowledgeable mechanic closer to me than Marshfield.

43AFA210-0887-4FF6-BBAE-003BACF94746.jpeg

Happen to know another [member] who just got a LC from AZ that was driven back to MA and the alternator died 130 miles away. Just sent him the link to this thread. +1

I'd be up for a meet as well, provided it isn't too far outside the city :)

I tell ya, having an infant really cramps my style these days!

Would love to do a meet this fall!
Are people around in a couple of weeks, on the 21st? I am getting my truck undercoated in the morning in NH but could meet at noon or 1?

Hey all,

I just bought a 1967 FJ40 and trailered it to my residence in Attleboro, MA. Any advice on how to register it in Mass? I am looking to use it as a weekend driver primarily, but may drive it to work in RI a few times when the weather cooperates. It is in good shape, so I have no real worries about it passing an inspection, however only the driver seat has a lap belt. I'm not well versed in the Massachusetts inspection requirements and what year seatbelts (and/or 3-point belts) were required, so I'm not sure if this is going to be an automatic failure. I am planning on adding a lap belt for the passenger seat later on, but would like to leave the bench seats without. Just looking to see what other people have done with registering theirs. I am thinking of doing either a normal registration or using Year Of Manufacture plates, as long as the restrictions on when you can drive your vehicle aren't too prohibitive (or strongly adhered to by to general public ;)). Thank you for the help! Happy to be part of group.

Rhody

Hey all,

I just bought a 1967 FJ40 and trailered it to my residence in Attleboro, MA. Any advice on how to register it in Mass? I am looking to use it as a weekend driver primarily, but may drive it to work in RI a few times when the weather cooperates. It is in good shape, so I have no real worries about it passing an inspection, however only the driver seat has a lap belt. I'm not well versed in the Massachusetts inspection requirements and what year seatbelts (and/or 3-point belts) were required, so I'm not sure if this is going to be an automatic failure. I am planning on adding a lap belt for the passenger seat later on, but would like to leave the bench seats without. Just looking to see what other people have done with registering theirs. I am thinking of doing either a normal registration or using Year Of Manufacture plates, as long as the restrictions on when you can drive your vehicle aren't too prohibitive (or strongly adhered to by to general public ;)). Thank you for the help! Happy to be part of group.

Rhody
I put 3 point shoulder belts in the front just because it’s safer. My rear/side facing seats had no seatbelts when I went for the inspection and I got a sticker without them. Since then I’ve added a fold and tumble seat to the rear because I don’t feel safe with kids riding back there with no seatbelts. WELCOME.

Hey all,

Rhody
I have a fairly modified 73 Datsun 240z that they would slap a sticker on no problem 3 years ago. No bumpers, coilovers that sit the body about 2.5" from the ground, only one side view mirror (came that way from the factory), ORIGINAL seat belts, no smog stuff, full, completely unrestricted exhaust...it passed. Now there are cameras at every inspection station in the state. I bring the Datsun to one garage that I know the owner. He lets it "slide". But since the cameras went in I need to have everything working. Wipers & washer spray, seat belts, suspension components all have to be in good working order, for the cameras.
Took my newly acquired 100 which I bought and drove back from AZ last week to the same garage. Owner wasn't there. Some random guy was doing the inspections but I figured everything worked, car was in good shape, just went 2700+ miles in 3 days. Failed for the front left ball joint. Isn't even that bad.
Point is some garages may let things go, some may not. Some may let front left lower ball joints go...that aren't even THAT bad...but not last Friday...apparently.
If you find a guy doing the inspections who is partial to LC's you may catch a break. Generally with the older stuff they just want the registration and $34. Welcome and good luck.

Hey guys, like many I've been on here for a few years but this is the first I've seen this thread! Nice to see that a Mass thread even exists! I'm in Ashland, Ma and I've got a 2002 hundy, which I've been slowly fixing all the deferred maintenance by the previous owner.
I see the topic of a good mechanic has popped up quite a bit. I've reccomended BDR automotive Home - BDR Automotive to a few people that have asked about local mechanics. They're a good bunch of guys, The owner Brian started as a Toyota Certified Mechanic before starting his current shop. I've been using him for about 10 years so and has always treated me well.
That's his trail rig next to my cruiser.

IMG_20190206_170332.jpg

Hey everyone, trying to get a meetup in Boston, or around the area for the spring, please DM me if interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom