Great day at Rausch with Offroad Consulting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So if you are halfway up a climb, stall it out, then what's next?

Clutch, brake, put it in reverse, start engine, slowly let off both brake and clutch to allow tranny to ease you back down the hill, no brakes?

The idea works up and down hill. I definitely let it stall on the down hill since engine braking is much more effective than foot braking.
Think of it this way, if the engine is off and the truck is in gear and the hill is steep enough for the truck to turn the engine in gear, the tires are at least moving and providing resistance and traction and you can further control the rate of decent with the brakes. If you are in neutral or have the clutch engaged, your tires will just skid and the only thing controlling your rate of decent is the brake.
Nothing will have you s***ting your pants quicker than a sudden, uncontrolled decent.

I often put my left foot back against the seat mount to move it as far from the clutch as possible to counter the urge to hit the clutch when I’m stuck.

Wow. This is really all new to me and very helpful. This is why ih8mud is so important for my learning. I am reading and rereading everyone's post to be sure I absorb this before I really need it in an emergency!

@jtaco1 had a fail on a hill climb that went badly .
36544010-C4FC-4DD2-B55D-D1423E5EB0C8.jpeg
Yep, don’t hit the clutch, can end badly. This was the aftermath of hitting the clutch after a stall on the bypass to the right of Jotter’s Way. No brakes - Andy and I went for a ride backwards and I clipped a tree. Roof to the dash thanks to no roll cage.

If you don’t have a roll cage, consider adding it to your list.

While we are in teaching mode, Did they also tell you to keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel? Especially if you don't have power steering, but regardless, the wheel can spring back with a quickness when in the rocks and it is powerful enough to break your thumbs.
Over hand grip whith thumb next to your index finger when in the rocks.

View attachment 1866182 Yep, don’t hit the clutch, can end badly. This was the aftermath of hitting the clutch after a stall on the bypass to the right of Jotter’s Way. No brakes - Andy and I went for a ride backwards and I clipped a tree. Roof to the dash thanks to no roll cage.

If you don’t have a roll cage, consider adding it to your list.
Wow. I see a lot of red sliders, bumpers as armor, but I guess there was no roll cage. I assume nobody was hurt?

I have heard the point about thumbs. I need mine!

I am thinking a lot about the Orion now.

Wow. I see a lot of red sliders, bumpers as armor, but I guess there was no roll cage. I assume nobody was hurt?

I have heard the point about thumbs. I need mine!

I am thinking a lot about the Orion now.
Lots of under belly armor, but nothing to protect the occupants at that point. Andy and I were both hanging upside down from our harnesses bent over to the middle. I actually felt the roof come in as it pushed my head down. Little bit of glass in my eyes from the windshield shattering. Along with a majorly brushed ego!!

We flipped it over, ripped the windshield out, used a hi lift to get the roof back up, and drove it back up the hill to the trailer. Then proceeded to cut the roof off, build an 8-point DOM cage tied to the frame, and welded a new roof on.

Another lesson, don’t put your hands, arms, or legs outside of the vehicle at any time, especially when the truck starts to lean over - you will not stop it.

This was on another trip.

Ouch, JT, was that you with the broken arm video? I hope not. It makes me cringe to watch!

But, in difficult spots, we roll up the windows, to PREVENT, the inadvertent arm from going out and getting mangled. One of the first times I went 4wheeling, which was Sierra Trek 1999, I saw a guy totally mangle his arm rolling a jeep on to it. Since then, I've tried to practice the both hands on the wheel no matter what thing.

Luckily no, but I was the trail leader when it happened. He was newer to wheeling and it happened within the first hour of the day on Trail 13A. I had previously mentioned about keeping thumbs out of the steering to the group in the parking lot, but didn't think about keeping arms in. Ever since, I have a list of things I go over with people if I lead.

We splinted him up and got him out as gently as possible, as he was in a bunch of pain. Got taken to the local hospital and came home with several shiny pieces of titanium in his arm.

Was the person teaching you proficient in wheeling a 40? They wheel did rent than a mini truck or Heep.
I typically only feather my clutch to get started. I let out the chutch and let the Tractor motor lug. when it starts to lug down to far give it a burp of gas to keep it going. I do have lower gears in my SM465. I would love to get an Orian or raven a toy box but don’t have the funds just yet.

Was the person teaching you proficient in wheeling a 40? They wheel did rent than a mini truck or Heep.
I typically only feather my clutch to get started. I let out the chutch and let the Tractor motor lug. when it starts to lug down to far give it a burp of gas to keep it going. I do have lower gears in my SM465. I would love to get an Orian or raven a toy box but don’t have the funds just yet.

He didn't tell me to feather clutch but that was my poor unskilled interpretation :)

He didn't tell me to feather clutch but that was my poor unskilled interpretation :)

It’s a hard habit to break! I was good then my Daughter got a manual Civic and I picked the habit back up. Just means you need to get out there more!

Just to clarify I’m not doubting there offroad training.

And nice looking rides!

When I first started wheeling, back in the late 80s, I was told to recognize that my vehicle is always positioned a foot closer to the edge of the road than you think it is. Why? Because those of us who grew up driving on two-lane roads automatically move that way when when dealing with oncoming traffic. So the more you grew up on two-lane roads the more likely you are to position yourself further left than you think you do.

My second time out I went with off-road consulting. It wasn’t Kyle that led the group, it was a very nice woman who clearly knew her way around off road. We didn’t do anything crazy that day but took a fair amount in.

As one of the other members mentioned in some other thread you are never too old to learn. My first few times out I was fortunate enough to have @Crusha @Pacer and @shmukster give me a lot of advice and tips that have proven quite useful. If anyone was a NEWB I think you’d have a tough time finding a better group than the keystone guys to help you along. Not to sell short what Kyle and his crew does, but this club has been nothing but welcoming and knowledgeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom