greasing rear door hinges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello,
squeak sound when trying to open the rear doors and I tried to spray grease on the hinges, but without great success. the hinge seems pretty tight, cannot imagine much grease got in.

are these hinges meant to be greased?

how you guys solved this?

Was just messing with mine this last weekend and sprayed some lithium grease with a straw nozzle into the top and bottom of each hinge and let it soak in. A few sprays over a few minute interval seemed to improve things about 15% after carefully swinging the door back and forth. It wasn't a ton but it was noticeable. Then I cleaned off the notched arm in between the hinges and applied a more substantial grease on all sides of the arm, which gave it another 10% or so. Maybe your squeak is in there? Finally cleaned and greased the latches and overall things are now satisfactory. I imagine if these hinges get fairly rusty, grease isn't really going to do a lot and the doors might need to be removed for some more invasive work.

Before all this, the lower hinge for the larger door actually had a sheared pin and was visibly off center so I had a new pin put in. If one of your doors is really bad, could be something going wrong with the pin inside the hinge as well.

I have a small squeak on my drivers door still so I am going to try some lithium grease this weekend.

Follow up.. tried this same method on the drivers and passenger door. I didn't have any squeaks to begin with but they seem again about 15% smoother. Hopefully it's not placebo o_O Both of those doors had rust-colored grease residue built up on the grooved arms that I had to work really hard to get off. To get the rusty layer off I actually just rubbed vigorously with a paper towel and lithium grease which seemed to bring it back down to the metal, and then applied some teflon fluoropolymer I have for bicycle stuff (no thicker grease on hand).

I also made sure to squirt lithium into the pivot point for the grooved arm. I noticed any remaining lack of smoothness at this point seems to be coming from the rollers that press on the top and bottom of the arm. Unfortunately they are not very visible even at full extension. I shot some lithium back into the hole to see if it would seep into something but didn't see a major change. One other potential squeak culprit is the wiring harness for your tail lights etc - mine has been re-wrapped with electrical tap numerous times and is pretty bulgy, so I could imagine if it rubbed it could make some noise with tape on metal. From there I think you'd be chasing it behind the door panels or some such thing.

I shoot mine with Fluid Film fairly regularly. Keeps them smooth and quiet.

thanks guys, front door hinges responded better to greasing than back door hinges.
for window crane, I had to take the mechanism down to spray grease in and now it works ok.

its a 32 year old truck and grease needs renewal.

Ill keep adding on the rear hinges, but wonder why Toyota didn't put a greasable nipple on them. maybe there bronze inside the hinge?

I spray them with something like WD40, it thin enough to leak down into the hinge pin. No bronze in there that I recall. I think if you took them off and put them in boiling oil they would be well lubricated.

Mine were very stiff and squeaky. I think it depends on previous owners. Could be rust or 30year old grease and dirt. If their just squeaky oil or WD40 would do. If their stiff as well I soaked my hinges in thinners, it's amazing how much sh$t came out after moving the mechanisms and how free they became after this. You could lubricate and put back on I painted them again then left them in the sun with lanolin on them for a while.

Hello,

Is it possible to drill one end of the hinge, tap it and attach a grease port?

Juan

Hello,

Juan

You could put a nipple in the middle part of hinge....but you'll probably just get grease on your chest..... no seriously if it doesn't impede the swinging action. The end of the hinge does not move, its a fixed pin and outer frame, only the middle moves.
IMG_4869.JPG

Hello,

Good explanation.

Back to keeping them oiled, I guess.

Juan

Hello,

Juan

The rear door hinges on mine are stiff from road salt corrosion I suppose. Penetrating oil hasn't done much good applied on the crack between the hinge plates. I'm thinking of drilling a small hole in the center pivoting section so the penetrating oil can get to the pin. Perhaps someone else has tried this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom