Greasing Birfields (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I'm pretty sure my birfields are empty or low on grease, I know to use Moly grease, but I can't find the plug or fitting to pump grease in through? :dunno: A guy at the club made a presentation on things to do pre-ride, and this was one of the things he mentioned. I can't find the damn thing? Help please?

There's a square headed, threaded steel plug on the upper front part of each knuckle, grease can be pumped in via this opening :-/

Yup.. but it is rear aspect, not front on earlier '40s. &nbsp:Don't know what year they changed. Here's a picture from behind the axle on my rig.

Great! I went out and found that the side of the axle I was looking at was so covered grime and gunk that I couldn't see the plug. On the other side I could see it just fine. It is on the rear for '74 like dave suggested, got a couple cartridges of moly grease from Napa, goin ta get the pressure washer out, get that grime off and then pump em up!. Thanks again guys.

Mmmh... what's the point of greasing the outside of the birf ? If you really want to grease the birf itself, you have to take it out....

I don't know, just wondering, if you keep it full of grease, won't it eventually work its way into the birfield? Also, if you happen to break a birfield, having it full of grease will mean that the broken off bell of the birfield will stick in the grease and not fall to the bottom and prevent you from turning.

I don't know, just wondering, if you keep it full of grease, won't it eventually work its way into the birfield?  

NO.
First things first. repack your birfs, then you will understand how they work.

Ok, but thats gonna have to wait for a few weeks until after I get out of school. For planning reasons, assuming everything goes well, is a birfield repack an under 8 hour job, for a decently equipped shop? (I'm air equipped).

It depends on how much snap you have. I know someone that can do a side in a 1/2 hour on the trail! First time around it will take you at least 8 hours to do it right. it's not a timed event though so take it easy and don't rush or you might fawk somthing up.

it's not a timed event though so take it easy and don't rush or you might fawk somthing up.
Yeah I know how that goes........ :-[
Problem is I'm always on a time limit cause the parents get pissed when my car is down for maintenence and mods. :mad:

It's not as much a matter of time than DIRT ! You'll see what I mean when you do it ;)

As for external greasing keeping dirt out of the knuckle... yes, that's right, but that's not the way you actually grease the birfield itself...

:beer:

Ok I gotcha, for now I'll just fill them up, and then in 2 weeks when I'm outta school I'll take a full day off from work and do a true birfield repack. Also-I know my front axle seals are shot since my diff oil is green(color of the grease the PO used), replacing the axle seal is something to do when you repack a birf, correct? Thanks again for all your cruiser wisdom guys. :bow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom