grease type (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can someone recommand what grease type should i use on 1991 fj80?
i hope to use only one type for everthing.
thx

Not going to work. You need moly for the Birfields and non-moly for all the bearings. NLGI #2 for both.
Nonsense. I've been using moly grease for everything for over 20 years now. I keep one grease in all guns Amsoil GPOR2CR.

Last edited:
As above, been discussed in the past. As the OP is in Israel whatever brand name grease that's available locally and approved for automotive wheel bearings and which has Moly (Molybdenum) in it. IMO look for 3% Moly content. Then one grease will do it all.

But keep in mind the Mud grease mantra: Any grease is better than contaminated grease, or no grease at all. One caveat, as long as the new grease is compatible with what base-type grease is already being used if topping up. ie: Lithium base mixed with Lithium base. If you don't know what's in the knuckles for example, better to clean them out (full front axle service) then repack the bearings and knuckles with the grease you intend to use.

Shell and Chevron products are often found worldwide

Examples

Delo ® Syn-Grease™ SXD 220 Moly 5% EP 1 (for cold climates)
For hot climates:
Delo ® Grease ESI ® HD Moly 5% EP
Delo ® Grease ESI ® HD Moly 3% EP

Valvoline Palladium in the US (3% Moly) is a good choice IME if available.

Been running the Palladium in my knuckles, slip yolks and U-joints for decades, no issues. For bearings I've been using Mobil 1 (personal preference) but the Palladium is perfectly acceptable for wheel bearings as it's rated for that application.

There's also an AMSOIL distributor in Israel:

Side note: Valvoline's lube/oil/grease/coolant business is about to be bought by Saudi Aramco. I assume it will continue to be marketed as Valvoline, so maybe just the packaging will change "A division of Saudi Aramco"??. FWIW.

Last edited:
As above, been discussed in the past. As the OP is in Israel whatever brand name grease that's available locally and approved for automotive wheel bearings and which has Moly (Molybdenum) in it. IMO look for 3% Moly content. Then one grease will do it all.

But keep in mind the Mud grease mantra: Any grease is better than contaminated grease, or no grease at all. One caveat, as long as the new grease is compatible with what base-type grease is already being used if topping up. ie: Lithium base mixed with Lithium base. If you don't know what's in the knuckles for example, better to clean them out (full front axle service) then repack the bearings and knuckles with the grease you intend to use.

Shell and Chevron products are often found worldwide

Examples

Delo ® Syn-Grease™ SXD 220 Moly 5% EP 1 (for cold climates)
For hot climates:
Delo ® Grease ESI ® HD Moly 5% EP
Delo ® Grease ESI ® HD Moly 3% EP

Valvoline Palladium in the US (3% Moly) is a good choice IME if available.

Been running the Palladium in my knuckles, slip yolks and U-joints for decades, no issues. For bearings I've been using Mobil 1 (personal preference) but the Palladium is perfectly acceptable for wheel bearings as it's rated for that application.

There's also an AMSOIL distributor in Israel:

Side note: Valvoline's lube/oil/grease/coolant business is about to be bought by Saudi Aramco. I assume it will continue to be marketed as Valvoline, so maybe just the packaging will change "A division of Saudi Aramco". FWIW.
thx a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom