GPS Mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone want to share pics or ideas of their GPS mounts?

Specifically, I'm looking for ideas of mounting a Garmin GPS III+ in an 80. But any vehicle/any gps will do as it will be nice to have the info in one place for future readers.

If you haven't already, have a look at RAM mounts. I've been playing with some of their mounting systems - really good quality and lots of mounting options.

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh, where do you mount the base, and which base are you using?

[quote author=firetruck41 link=board=14;threadid=6218;start=msg52572#msg52572 date=1066589219]
Hugh, where do you mount the base, and which base are you using?
[/quote]

Well, that's a good question. I've been playing with them for my motorcycle. If you have seen RAM mounts, there are a number of base options with varying degrees of hole drilling required. I've been contemplating using 3M double sides tape in various locations (e.g., on top of dash, on the little 'shelf' near the heater outlets, and various points on the centre console) to avoid drilling holes. I still haven't made up my mind (I'm thinking of using them for radio, GPS and PDA linked to GPS).

Cheers, Hugh

I've seen the RAM mounts, I was thinking maybe mount the square base with 4 holes, under the rear heater switch, where the dash goes back to meet with the console, (it appears there are holes for mounting something in that area, don't know if they are original or from PO), or use one of the bar mounts and mount to the drivers Oh Sh!t handle and run wiring up the a pillar. I haven't bought any of the pieces yet so don't know for sure if any of those ideas would work.

I've got a Garman Legend with the Garman swivel mount that clips in the back. It wedges in very nicely into the otherwise worthless slot above the radio. Very easy to read while driving and I can still see the clock. Doesn't fall out while wheeling, but pulls out easily when I park in a not nice place.

In my 40 buggy I simply used the wife hot glue gun and glue a 2in wide strip of velcro to the back of my garmin and the other piece to the dash by the ignition key. It stays put when wheelin and is pretty easy to read. I use it as my speedo/odometer in my daily driver as well. works great! :D

Hey Tod,
I also have a Garman Legend, do you run yours linked on a notebook with street altas or ???

I want to get a unit to keep track of mileage and speed. Any recs for a good all around unit that can be used in the truck and on the trail? Defnately needs to be back-lit so I can see it at night. Also have you seen any that have and enlarged MPH display so it can act as my speedo? Thanks

I use the Garmin suction mount with my Etrex Legend, I can stick it to the windsheild of the Tacoma or the dash/windshield of the 40. (I get alot better reception up against the windshield vs the dash.

Anyone build a cable that can interface with their laptop as well as serve as an external antenna hook up? I looked at Garmins site and couldn't find on e that did both, just one or the other...

I am liking the looks and features of the eTrex Vista or Legend. Have they got a speedometer funtion? What kind of experience to you all have with the Magellan line of GPS units?

[quote author=drohweder link=board=14;threadid=6218;start=msg63969#msg63969 date=1069034347]
I am liking the looks and features of the eTrex Vista or Legend. Have they got a speedometer funtion? What kind of experience to you all have with the Magellan line of GPS units?
[/quote]

The Etrex legend does have speedo, odo, max speed, ave speed, and just about everything else you can think of... No experience with the newer Magellan's but I know there older stuff was high-tech for the times...

Well I went with a model from ram-mounts.com

Great quality. Great product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom