Goose Lake… August trail ride YES or NO? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a board we discussed the complications of running Goose Lake this year due to the floods. We are trying to gauge interest in who would still want to make the trek to Cooke City the LONG WAY AROUND?

We figured we would be welcomed with open arms to try to visit and spend some money in their town. These road closures are going to hurt all our tourist towns surrounding Yellowstone.

The short version is, who would still be interested in running Goose Lake this august even if it means going through Cody or an alternative route? We are trying to gauge if gas prices, distance, and overall the time invested getting to and from the trail are still worth it to make this run happen this season.

Who would want to still make a weekend out of it? Obviously, we need to figure out if the trail is still open and passable, but assuming it is, who’s in? I’d guess it’s a leave Friday afternoon, camp at the trailhead late Friday, run Goose Lake Saturday and camp on the trail, the trailhead or part of the way home.

It’d be a haul, but it would be a way to help our friends in these hard hit communities.

We are considering offering an additional trail ride close to home in August like ringing rocks or similar for those who can’t make a whole weekend out of it.

On a side note. Goose Lake needs to seen/driven if you haven’t yet. I think it’s my top trail I’ve ever run… ever. It’s scenic, technical, remote and just plain FUN!

As a board we discussed the complications of running Goose Lake this year due to the floods. We are trying to gauge interest in who would still want to make the trek to Cooke City the LONG WAY AROUND?

We figured we would be welcomed with open arms to try to visit and spend some money in their town. These road closures are going to hurt all our tourist towns surrounding Yellowstone.

The short version is, who would still be interested in running Goose Lake this august even if it means going through Cody or an alternative route? We are trying to gauge if gas prices, distance, and overall the time invested getting to and from the trail are still worth it to make this run happen this season.

Who would want to still make a weekend out of it? Obviously, we need to figure out if the trail is still open and passable, but assuming it is, who’s in? I’d guess it’s a leave Friday afternoon, camp at the trailhead late Friday, run Goose Lake Saturday and camp on the trail, the trailhead or part of the way home.

It’d be a haul, but it would be a way to help our friends in these hard hit communities.

We are considering offering an additional trail ride close to home in August like ringing rocks or similar for those who can’t make a whole weekend out of it.

On a side note. Goose Lake needs to seen/driven if you haven’t yet. I think it’s my top trail I’ve ever run… ever. It’s scenic, technical, remote and just plain FUN!
I’m down count me in

how many miles to get to cooke city?
This many.....

Screenshot 2022-06-30 081245.jpg

Why wouldn't we just go over the Beartooth Highway, one of my all-time favorite drives? Oh yea......

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 9.45.42 AM.png

I've never been to Goose Lake and it would be great to be able to support the local communities along the way. If the trip happens in the first 1/2 of the month I'm in! 👍

too bad the morrison is a no go. you go right past the start

it says it will be open in this thread:

post # 3

post # 3

still dont know if i would wanna do it again

post # 3
Wouldn't rely on it until we see notice that it is actually open, it also drops out onto the closed section of the Beartooth so even if you took it you couldn't get to CC.

I don't think I'll ever drive the Morrison switch backs again. I got real hung up and super off camber on a turn two years ago.
Also, pretty sure I saw somewhere the road to the switch backs washed out in the floods?

Yeah we’re not adding the Morrison. I’d bet the road repair crews have bigger fish to fry.

Let’s keep this one on track, trying to gauge who’s in for the long way around? Dates are the same as posted on the 406 Calendar August 13th is the Saturday

Wouldn't rely on it until we see notice that it is actually open, it also drops out onto the closed section of the Beartooth so even if you took it you couldn't get to CC.

DOH, I guess that was before the big flooding.

I'm in. Of course it's closer for me. We should leave early enough to hike to Grasshopper Glacier this time.

talked to bunch of people who went up this weekend - 7/29/22
said it hasnt changed much since last year. I was up there two years ago with darren in his stock LX and he made it fine stacking rocks and i was told its a simular situation

you have to drive up on the beartooth highway and back. still worth it.

Im trying to decide if i will be making the trip this weekend or the next.

read on the internet that there's a big meteor shower Aug 11-12 so i might try and make it up there for that and kinda hang out all weekend

Stoked for this trip, thanks for the recon info. Here’s the link bout the meteor shower. It’s going to be epic. I’m down to find somewhere on the way possibly Thursday night, to camp and watch the show.
talked to bunch of people who went up this weekend - 7/29/22
said it hasnt changed much since last year. I was up there two years ago with darren in his stock LX and he made it fine stacking rocks and i was told its a simular situation

you have to drive up on the beartooth highway and back. still worth it.

Im trying to decide if i will be making the trip this weekend or the next.

read on the internet that there's a big meteor shower Aug 11-12 so i might try and make it up there for that and kinda hang out all weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom