Good location and method to hide a key somewhere on the vehicle? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I carry one. My wife does not. The guys at work do not. 99% of the people I know do not carry something as simple as a pocket knife.

That really amazes me. Don't know if that is cultural/regional thing or just peculiar to the folks you happen to know. Where I live, I'd wager the average man on the street will have a pocket knife of some fashion in at least 50% of the cases.

Just goes to show how we can not universally apply methods/ideas across the board. For instance, I've noticed in this thread...a concern for keeping a transponder separate from a key (to prevent theft). In MY case....theft is such a remote possibility that I literally give it no thought. The principle reason for having a spare ON the vehicle is so that my wife will not be stranded anywhere should she lose her key, lock it in the car or the key just stop working.

With that in mind...I need a key (already programmed and tested) on the vehicle in a reasonably accessible place that is absolutely protected from the elements. I disagree vehemently that a 3 button transponder key is weatherproof.

I have my own key to the vehicle...so IF a spare is ever needed and the vehicle is a reasonable distance away, we will use that one. The vehicle mounted spare is for emergencies ONLY and any inconvenience 'unwrapping' it will soon be forgotten.

Also, anytime we are going to be more than 50 miles from home, I make sure that I have MY key and she has her's. That way if one is lost/damaged we have a ready spare.

I consider car keys to be the same as a spare mag for my pistol: Two is one, one is none, things fail... (better to be prepared).

Like most things, this ended up being way simpler than I was making it out to be.

Went to home depot, had a $3 non-transponder key made. It opens the door and does not set off the alarm. Put that in a magnetic hide a key plus a little duct tape. That will get me into the truck and then hidden inside is a transponder key to get it started and get me back on the road.

I carry one. My wife does not. The guys at work do not. 99% of the people I know do not carry something as simple as a pocket knife.

Wow that's crazy to me. I'd say it's the exact opposite for me. Almost everyone I know carries some sort of knife/cutting tool and only a very few do not.

That really amazes me. Don't know if that is cultural/regional thing or just peculiar to the folks you happen to know. Where I live, I'd wager the average man on the street will have a pocket knife of some fashion in at least 50% of the cases.

Just goes to show how we can not universally apply methods/ideas across the board. For instance, I've noticed in this thread...a concern for keeping a transponder separate from a key (to prevent theft). In MY case....theft is such a remote possibility that I literally give it no thought. The principle reason for having a spare ON the vehicle is so that my wife will not be stranded anywhere should she lose her key, lock it in the car or the key just stop working.

With that in mind...I need a key (already programmed and tested) on the vehicle in a reasonably accessible place that is absolutely protected from the elements. I disagree vehemently that a 3 button transponder key is weatherproof.

I have my own key to the vehicle...so IF a spare is ever needed and the vehicle is a reasonable distance away, we will use that one. The vehicle mounted spare is for emergencies ONLY and any inconvenience 'unwrapping' it will soon be forgotten.

Also, anytime we are going to be more than 50 miles from home, I make sure that I have MY key and she has her's. That way if one is lost/damaged we have a ready spare.

I consider car keys to be the same as a spare mag for my pistol: Two is one, one is none, things fail... (better to be prepared).

I was a Boy Scout, and I grew up in small town USA, every one had a pocket knife, we even brought our rifles to school so we could go hunting.
Our mechanic doesn't even carry a pocket knife.

I never said a remote key was weather proof, I said a transponder key was. The valet key, no remote, is a transponder key.
HOWEVER, after thinking about it while at work today, I could see road salt and water getting into the key and corroding the transponder chip. So I would just zip tie a standard non programmed key to the underside of the car.

I guarantee you that 90% of all semi's have a spare key zip tied to the truck under the hood, that is what we did.
Long ago before cell phones I locked the cab of my truck with the engine running, it was 3am, dead of winter, at a rest area to go potty...after that...extra key under the hood. And those hoods are not weather proof, more weather gets in there than under the hood of you Cruiser, that key was fine even after 500,000 miles and four years of haning there.

I don't worry about theft either, I have insurance.

The thought of not having a knife in my pocket concerns me more than not having a key hidden on my truck.

Does that mean I need to find a place to hide a knife on my truck?

The thought of not having a knife in my pocket concerns me more than not having a key hidden on my truck.

Does that mean I need to find a place to hide a knife on my truck?

Only if you are worried about being caught with your pants off :)

20 years of driving, never lost a key, never broken a fob, never locked keys inside car :)

Tools....we don't need no stinking tools.

Just make sure one/both license plate mounting screws take a straight screw driver. If key is locked in car, all you have to do is go beg a penny off someone to retrieve spare behind license (been there/done that):beer:

20 years of driving, never lost a key, never broken a fob, never locked keys inside car :)

I can believe the "never lost a key", and "never locked keys inside car", but if you've "never broken a fob", you must have one of the following issues:
Haven't owned the 100 series long enough.
Don't drive it often enough.
Don't have an OEM key.​

Last edited:
Come on guys...if you don't have a knife, just use a key! Oh wait...

Tools....we don't need no stinking tools.

Just make sure one/both license plate mounting screws take a straight screw driver. If key is locked in car, all you have to do is go beg a penny off someone to retrieve spare behind license (been there/done that):beer:

Fasten pocket knife to roof to cut the zip tied screw driver on the underside of the truck to unscrew the license plate to retrieve hidden key. Problem solved. Lol

This one might be a way to go - Monster Magnetics MiniMag Magnetic Case.

Although it is designed for GPS tracking devices (go read the Amazon reviews), it should fit a key/fob or two.

minimag-diagram-blk-epoxy_1024x1024.jpg

A standard key is waterproof, using the hole in the key head, the part that goes onto the key ring, put a zip tie through it, zip tie it to the underside of the truck.
When you need the key, you twist it, the zip tie breaks, you now have a key.
If you wrap it in duct tape and triple zip tie it to the frame how in the hell is someone without a pocket knife going to get to it?
If you don't feel comfortable putting your valet key under the truck, leave it inside, like in in one of the rear door ash trays.
Then have a solid steel key cut at Home Depot, that way IF someone finds your key all they can do is open the truck and unless they find your valet key they can't steal it, only your stuff, which you should never leave anything of value in your car anyway because cars are not secure. You can break a side window with a ink pen if you know how and no one pays attention to car alarms anyway.
I like that solution. That's been my thought, how are you going to get a knife? If you tape it to the back of the license plate, then you need to get that off. Well, tool is in trunk. I will do this as soon as I get 3 new spare keys made. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom