GOOD Additional Lighting Option w/o A New Bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's opportunity with just the stock lighting to improve overall light output. DOT requirements only allow two pairs of front lights at any one time. So when one turns on the high beams, the fogs will go off. Can override this function such that 3 pairs of lighting - headlights, highbeams, AND fogs go on. This can make a big difference, especially if the bulbs get upgraded in any or all those positions as well.

There's multiple way to do it. Here's a couple strategies

It'll differ how to add additional lights to different model years of LX and LC. Here's an example of how I added aftermarket Rigid D-Series Pro long throw spots to my 'LX. Between the 3 sets of stock fixtures, plus these spots - 4 pairs all on at the same time, I have light for the asking.

I like the idea of slaving all 3 lights to one switch. I need to be able to get through state inspection every year, so it would likely require a dummy-looking switch.

You could try this:

Use the Baja Designs Squadron SAE model if you want to legally run your fog lights on public roads, or the Squadron Pro for much brighter off-road only use.

Then add some good ditch lights, which you can use as additional driving/spot lights or for wide cornering use. Lumens/lux wise, Baja Designs would probably be your best bet for the most light output and throw - Squadron Pro or LP4 Pro.

Then I would look into concealed light bars behind your grille.
Agreed, thank you! That Baja Squadron Pro will be perfect for the fogs.

I'm driving on beaches fishing at night. Lots of flotsam finds its way into the sand with the tide. Some nasty stuff. This is an excellent option.

Last edited:
There's a lot to know about driving lights beyond just the fact that they're bright. Forgive me for promoting my own work, but start here:

Then go here:

Don't waste money on fog light replacements, roof lights, or ditch lights.

I don't write articles in magazines, but I've had bumper and roof mounted lightbars and fog lights replaced with driving lights that worked great.

Last edited:
I don't write articles in magazines, but I've had bumper and roof mounted lightbars and fog lights that replaced driving lights that worked great.
All aftermarket lights are gonna be bright. But brightness is more complicated than it may seem on the surface. Driving a bunch of different vehicles in a bunch of different places, with a bunch of different lights will inevitably lead to the ability to glean some information on effectiveness of different solutions.

There's a lot to know about driving lights beyond just the fact that they're bright. Forgive me for promoting my own work, but start here:

Then go here:

Don't waste money on fog light replacements, roof lights, or ditch lights.
Well researched articles with absolutely valid points. I learned quite a bit.

While I appreciate the value and effectiveness of the LightForce's, I'm hesitant to mount anything to the oem bumper or especially something designed for the license plate holder. Too many occasions in which I'm parallel parked, and my daily commute is down a rutted out sand and clay road that makes for lots of vibrations and fine dust.

The ability to replace/improve an existing light source, whether it's housed in the fogs or headlight framework is appealing to me. I will be on the lookout for HID's or LED's with the characteristics you highlighted. Cheers.

Last edited:

Well I appreciate the value and effectiveness of the LightForce's, I'm hesitant to mount anything to the oem bumper or especially something designed for the license plate holder. Too many occasions in which I'm parallel parked, and my daily commute is down a rutted out sand and clay road that makes for lots of vibrations and fine dust.

The ability to replace/improve an existing light source, whether it's housed in the fogs or headlight framework is appealing to me. I will be on the lookout for HID's or LED's with the characteristics you highlighted. Cheers.l

Well I appreciate the value and effectiveness of the LightForce's, I'm hesitant to mount anything to the oem bumper or especially something designed for the license plate holder. Too many occasions in which I'm parallel parked, and my daily commute is down a rutted out sand and clay road that makes for lots of vibrations and fine dust.

The ability to replace/improve an existing light source, whether it's housed in the fogs or headlight framework is appealing to me. I will be on the lookout for HID's or LED's with the characteristics you highlighted. Cheers

The ability to replace/improve an existing light source, whether it's housed in the fogs or headlight framework is appealing to me. I will be on the lookout for HID's or LED's with the characteristics you highlighted. Cheers.
Dust: won't be an issue for any quality light.

Vibration and bumps: I'm able to grab one of the lights, mounted to that silly bar, and push/pull/twist it as hard as I can. The car moves, not the light or mount.

Parallel parking: your bumper is designed to absorb these impacts. They certainly won't hurt the lights.

I'd just copy the setup I put on that Subaru above.

Dust: won't be an issue for any quality light.

Vibration and bumps: I'm able to grab one of the lights, mounted to that silly bar, and push/pull/twist it as hard as I can. The car moves, not the light or mount.

Parallel parking: your bumper is designed to absorb these impacts. They certainly won't hurt the lights.

I'd just copy the setup I put on that Subaru above.

97EC4019-F13B-4051-B6C3-F0DFB1BFAF96.jpeg

It takes a little fab work to make brackets to hard mount to the metal behind the grill, but it's not too difficult. My 90$ Amazon light bar isn't the best out there but it's held up for a few years now. Led headlights made all the difference in the world for the older style lights in the 08.
20180621_115216.jpg

While my grille (Heritage 2020) is different I think they can all be cut to fit a light. I went with a Baja Designs 52-3003DC which is the 30" Curved ONx6 Dual Control amber drive, white spot. Although a cheaper version should fit too.

D2E066D7-6B18-41E1-8119-761F286A1F3B.jpeg

B6C3E41D-4702-4821-93BF-524F62606068.jpeg

D7B15587-C3BB-4075-907E-3F0C0AF1088C.jpeg

Did you have a mount you could directly screw into, or did you mod/customize something that was already there?
That screw head in the middle picture is a mounting point of the headlights (at least 2016+ models). The Baja kit came with SS side brackets which I has to space out with some thick washers to achieve the OEM hole spacing. Then replaced headlight screw with a longer one and some fender washers to get correct height to clear grill. Only mods to the car was cutting out stats in the grill.

1B1DE0FD-DD8C-4A7A-9800-3CAAEF5E446B_1_201_a.jpeg

There is a folded sheet steel crossmember that joins the inner corners of the headlights together, roughly at the bottom of the grill. It should provide a sturdy enough mounting area.

Then behind the grill is an assortment of potential mounting places on the metalwork that is in Front of the radiator / supports the radiator

I REALLY miss this mod I had on my old truck. DEFINITELY saved me several times missing bucks/does throughout the year being able to spot them long before they were meeting me at 55 mph. Has anyone used any of the STEDI lighting harnesses to tap into OEM wiring, or is the usual thing to go for the switchpro hub?

I had a SPDT setup that was clutch in my old rig and I'd like to mirror that if possible with KISS in mind. My hang-up in just pushing forward with this is that I'd need a relay point under the hood and I am a big fan of some of the fuse blocks, etc that some of you have concocted. I don't like the idea of just tapping into OEM wiring when possible, but there's no alternative I can think of to get the same setup I had before without defiling the existing wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom