Going back n' forth on 285/75/17 tires...not a 'will it fit' post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Based on my experience, I have the Toyo Open Country A/T 2's Load Range E on both my vehicles (including my 2001 LC) and couldn't give a better recommendation for a tire. Durable, wear well, easy to balance, etc. Not super quiet though.

I just put a set of these Toyos on my wife’s volvo. Still ride easy on the road but pretty sure footed in our long (1/2 mile) muddy driveway. Load C I think. My wife doesn’t notice any difference driving compared to her old Pirelli all-seasons but i definitely notice improved traction climbing up the hill. Win/win. Haven’t tried them in the snow yet but I’ll switch to Nokians for that.

I ended up w/ ST Maxx on the LX though, a la @ikarus. 285/75r17. Driving feels much more deliberate than with 275/70r18 KO2, the weight is noticeable. They’re great, I’m looking forward to really airing them down. Expensive.

I've had a few of these tires so can share experience. (2 sets of the falkens) (1 set of AT3's). Every one of the options you've picked are great tires so this is more of subjective notes. We put about 10k total miles on our cruiser a year. It breaks down this way: about 100 miles in 4LO, 500 miles of low maintenance roads, 1k of gravel driving, 500 miles of towing, and 50/50 - town/highway for the rest.

Falkens: Have 50k miles of experience on these (on second set) with my LC.
Pros:
Have worn well. Quiet on road. Handle well in turns, wet roads, gravel, etc. I like that they don't collect hundreds of small rocks like other AT's I've had - throwing off high speed balance. Sidewalls are very tough, they handle being aired down (low) very well. They just do not "chunk" like BFG's I've had before, and personally I think they look great.
Cons: Man these are heavy - so are all LT's. Each time I've bought 5 tires, and one just wouldn't balance right. Discount is always cool and swapped them, issue gone. LT's ride a lot rougher than P rated, noticeably rougher than C. I'd consider that.

Coopers: I have 30k of experience with these on my 1st Gen Tundra. Man are these good tires, and at such a great price.
Pros:
Have worn awesome. On road performance is fantastic - very quiet, soak up imperfections, handle adverse road conditions, shockingly good in the snow. I think its the case of them being load C's. They balanced very easily and never had any vibrations or anything weird. These things do very well off-road when you air them down. Seems like there are usually a $50-70 visa card rebate going.
Cons: they don't look as aggressive, but I don't care. I wouldn't air them down as much as an LT just to keep the sidewall from folding. They pick up very small pebbles more easily than larger lug tires, but I never noticed balancing issues because of it.

Toyo Open Country AT2's: The guys that work on the drilling rigs all over Colorado seem to run these on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks almost exclusively. Have heard from a lot of folks that they are super durable tires and wear like iron on the heavier trucks.

If I didn't have a fresh set of the Falken's on the LC now (they looked good in the store and the Cooper's were just a little more money) I'd put the Coopers on this thing instead. They are that good.

Thank you this is fantastic first hand info, I really appreciate it...

Well after much consideration I kind of took the easy way out and went with the known quantity, the BFG ko2's, 285/75/17 . This will be my 4th set and I got a nice little discount on them from America's tire which brought them in line with some of the Toyo's and Cooper's I was looking at. Also I saw both the new Toyo AT3 and the Cooper Discoverer, and I think the Ko2 has a better, more aggressive sidewall, so aesthetically it's advantage Ko2. This tire did require some pinch weld modification even though I have a 2" inch lift and 1.25" spacers...

20200516_191253.jpg

20200516_191312.jpg

20200516_191120.jpg

Well after much consideration I kind of took the easy way out and went with the known quantity, the BFG ko2's, 285/75/17 . This will be my 4th set and I got a nice little discount on them from America's tire which brought them in line with some of the Toyo's and Cooper's I was looking at. Also I saw both the new Toyo AT3 and the Cooper Discoverer, and I think the Ko2 has a better, more aggressive sidewall, so aesthetically it's advantage Ko2. This tire did require some pinch weld modification even though I have a 2" inch lift and 1.25" spacers...

View attachment 2312800
View attachment 2312802
View attachment 2312803
White walls out would've really complemented the all black really well IMO

Curious - is anyone running the 285/75/17 ST Maxx on AHC? Wondering if there's much rub for a daily driver. I'm on 285/75/16 ST Maxx's but am looking to upsize once they wear out. It's too bad there isn't a 34" Tall/Skinny in a 16" wheel option.

Curious - is anyone running the 285/75/17 ST Maxx on AHC? Wondering if there's much rub for a daily driver. I'm on 285/75/16 ST Maxx's but am looking to upsize once they wear out. It's too bad there isn't a 34" Tall/Skinny in a 16" wheel option.

Depends on wheel offset.

I have a set of 285/75/16 K02's. They drive well, minimal road noise and good traction in most conditions. IMO the biggest issue with K02's or any E rated tire is the weight. The 100 series is pushing 3 tons , adding heavy tires definitely increases the braking distance. If i were to do it over again I'd go for a lighter tire for daily driving, and get a second set of A/T's or M/T's for offroad trips. I wouldn't say that K02s are unsafe, but lighter tires are safer for my use case.

View attachment 2312800
View attachment 2312802
View attachment 2312803

I think thats the best looking LX470 Ive ever seen. Love the slicktop roof with the spoiler on the back, and with factory bumpers. Looks clean!

Much appreciated studawg! I have my roof rack back on these days...
View attachment 2588552
Uggh! My eyes! Haha jk, I just like the slicktop look for some reason, especially with lift and bigger tires and the spoiler. Makes it look like its going fast sitting still.

Uggh! My eyes! Haha jk, I just like the slicktop look for some reason, especially with lift and bigger tires and the spoiler. Makes it look like its going fast sitting still.
if we didn't have 3 kids who need a mountain of stuff to go camping, I'd keep it no rack...
20200713_162102 (2).jpg

I am about to buy the first set of tires for my new-to-me 99 LC. This is going to be a dedicated off-road rig. So far I have a 2” dobinsons IMS lift with UCA’s and a diff drop.

I am debating on whether to do 285’s on the stock 16” wheels, or purchasing 17” wheels and going with 285/75r17s. I really like the look of the almost 34” tires, but I don’t want to sacrifice off road capability or deal with the problems that are associated with running 35s.

Will I be sacrificing my droop or rubbing at full compression if I go with the 17s and bigger tires? Should I just stay with the 33” tires on the stock wheels?

I am about to buy the first set of tires for my new-to-me 99 LC. This is going to be a dedicated off-road rig. So far I have a 2” dobinsons IMS lift with UCA’s and a diff drop.

I am debating on whether to do 285’s on the stock 16” wheels, or purchasing 17” wheels and going with 285/75r17s. I really like the look of the almost 34” tires, but I don’t want to sacrifice off road capability or deal with the problems that are associated with running 35s.

Will I be sacrificing my droop or rubbing at full compression if I go with the 17s and bigger tires? Should I just stay with the 33” tires on the stock wheels?
You will not, I have that setup too, and do not rub anywhere, IMO they are the most perfect all-around wheel for the truck.

You will not, I have that setup too, and do not rub anywhere, IMO they are the most perfect all-around wheel for the truck.
What wheels/backspace are you running and did you need a spacer?

What wheels/backspace are you running and did you need a spacer?
I am running method 316 17"X8" with 25 offset. fits perfectly, you cal ways use this tool to visualize your tire size and offset: Wheel Offset Calculator - https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ and the stock 16" wheel has an offset of 60 and the 25 offset is almost perfectly equal to the stock wheel with the 1.25" spidertraxx spacer. I would however love an 18 offset if I could find a wheel I liked with a +18 offset. but it tucks fully and fits flush with the sides, looks great IMO.

I am running method 316 17"X8" with 25 offset. fits perfectly, you cal ways use this tool to visualize your tire size and offset: Wheel Offset Calculator - https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ and the stock 16" wheel has an offset of 60 and the 25 offset is almost perfectly equal to the stock wheel with the 1.25" spidertraxx spacer. I would however love an 18 offset if I could find a wheel I liked with a +18 offset. but it tucks fully and fits flush with the sides, looks great IMO.
Thanks for the info! I was looking at the black rhino realms which are a scs F5 rip off, but they are a 25 offset. Hopefully they will clear the hubs!

BFG makes a 34x10.5R17 load D KO2, it's slightly thinner width wise and shorter and about 5lbs less per tire than the 285/75/17 load E. Since it's marketed as a truck tire they are $400 each.

Thanks for the info! I was looking at the black rhino realms which are a scs F5 rip off, but they are a 25 offset. Hopefully they will clear the hubs!
dont know why any wheel wouldn't clear the hubs?

BFG makes a 34x10.5R17 load D KO2, it's slightly thinner width wise and shorter and about 5lbs less per tire than the 285/75/17 load E. Since it's marketed as a truck tire they are $400 each.
IMO 10.5 that tall will look weird and too skinny. and my 285/75/17 at discount tire were around 300 each

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom