Gobi Rack - Post pics & opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I'm considering the purchase of a Gobi rack. Haven't seen many installed on 100's. If you've got one or had one, post a pic or your opinion, or both.

Things to consider for me:

1. I have 2 solar panels installed on my 80 Prinsu style rack, will have 2 on the 100 series as well.
2. I hate wind noise. The Prinsu is good with that. How is the Gobi?

If these aren't in stock, they are demanding a 6 month lead time.

Go for Dissent or Bowfin Rack if the "prinsu style" is what you want
Ive seen most 100 users have Front Runner, Gamiviti, BIOR racks

Last edited:
The Gobi's have a very nice build quality. They are average with highway noise neither quiet nor too loud IMHO. My gripe is they are not flat, they are actually curved to the roof line, which is awesome for aesthetics... but lacking in practicality. Also they mount a few crossbars inside the "basket" area that can hinder the size and shape of what you want to haul. I think there are more cost effective solutions that look and function just as well, Gamiviti and Dessent come to mind.

Honestly, Gobi got a rep for being aggressive in the market towards anyone that looks remotely close to their "style." I am all for a company protecting its product line but they've been known to go after the little guys making good kit that has some design cues the Gobi uses. That and I tried to source and buy a set of their 100 series roof rack mount/feet and they wouldn't sell them to me since I was building my own rack and not going to use one of theirs- again, that is their right but it put a bad taste in my mouth for the company and won't consider them for the reasons stated.

On another note, the sleeves they use to connect the tubes are strong but look lousy in my opinion, for a rack at that price I'd like to see internal sleeves when the tubes meet. Same with the sunroof panel, it mounted in a way that was lack-luster to me for such a polished looking rack overall.

I had a Gobi on my 5th gen 4runner. Took about 4 months to get it. Which was fine because I knew about the lead times well in advanced. It's a very sturdy and good looking rack. I would argue it's the best looking rack on the market. But there are some cons to it. With the design it is very limited on space and mounting anything is a chore. I had maxtraxx and some other things on it and removing the mounts from the rack took awhile. Also while it looks good the fact that it was steel was always on my mind. The powder coating did chip away after a couple big trips and there was a little bit of rust. After about 8 months of ownership a guy at a gas station offered to buy it from me because their lead times were even longer. I sold it for more than I bought it for. Did I miss it after? No really other than it looked cool. If I had to do it all over again I would get a flat aluminum rack.

I'm starting to lean more towards dissent now :)

Took 6 months to get my ladder from Gobi. Told me 6 to 8 weeks. I'd hesitate to do any business with them in the future.

I have a Gamiviti rack. Tim @nakman was great to work with. I especially like the quick mounts for my awning. I can put my ARB awning on my rack in less than a minute. Store it in the garage when not using it.

I also really like the Dissent rack, after seeing it first hand at Ben's shop.

FYI, Gamiviti can be installed "basket" up or down, it's up to you. And it can be customized to your particular needs by adding gussets, extra mounting points, mesh bottom, light tabs, etc. it's perfectly flat, one piece, and rock-solid. I love mine.
Do you have any pictures of it? Sounds interesting.

Do you have any pictures of it? Sounds interesting.
Picture of a 'basket-up' installation? Just the pics below I found on the interwebs (60/80-series). Look here for 100 Series pics. I think most folks mount them basket-down.

This is a good thread to read through: Your dream Gamiviti rack

60_trevor2.jpg
rack_for_sale2.jpg

Picture of a 'basket-up' installation? Just the pics below I found on the interwebs (60/80-series). Look here for 100 Series pics. I think most folks mount them basket-down.

Mine is mounted down. Other two folks in my club that have Gamiviti racks have theirs mounted down also.

Should be plenty of pics on the Gamiviti website

Second the trail tailor. great guy to work with.

If I didn't already have a Gobi, I would go with the Gamiviti. The Gobi is nice and I like the look but the Gamiviti is probably more practical and you don't have to wait six months or whatever.

I realize this is an old thread but I figure it’s better to resurrect one than start a new one.

Even though it seemed the thread drifted to recommendations of other racks, I’m still very interested in a Gobi.

Anyone have any pictures of a Gobi on a 100 like OP was asking for?

And I’m curious about ride height. With 6.5” of added height has anyone experienced any issues pulling into garages, public or personal?

This is the video that the PO took of the truck that I now own. It gives you a good idea of what the Gobi rack looks like at most angles. I don't know how old the rack is, but I am finding that I am needing to recoat areas of it due to rust. I would NOT go with the rear ladder unless you really want it. It WILL rub on the paint in a few places and that can cause rust.

As many have said, Gamiviti is a quality product. He is local to Denver and a really stand up guy. The important aspect to his racks are that you will get exactly what you want. Not just what they supply. His price will likely be lower than the Gobi as well. If I was buying a rack right now it would either be a Prinsu (because it is aluminum) or a Gamiviti.

I have a 100 series Gobi Ranger Rack (full mesh floor) on order with a ladder and three ARB awning mounts. Ordered in November so should be shipping to Los Angeles soon. I am going to run no roof rack at all, so if anyone local wants to buy it from me and skip the wait, let me know. It's also coming with the new Gobi backpack and Gobi travel bag both in desert tan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom