Go west young man, or how a Troopy found it's way to Portland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found some seats out of a Honda that match the dash color just right. A couple of quick brackets and I suddenly have room behind and below the seats. Got the center console bolted down too. Mapping out the shape for a console that allows the sun visors to stay where they are.

as8plHc.jpg

Mocking up stainless 2.5" to 3" exhaust for the upcoming turbo instal....

LYnST4j.jpg

Found some grey vinyl that matches the dash and seats well and made a quick overhead console. Space for glasses and random stuff. Eventually the USB charger will live up there. Glued some non slip rubber on top and so far nothing has hit me in the head. Might figure out a stretch mesh solution for the front opening but so far so good. Also tracked down a stash of 24v bulbs and rewired a few of the original sockets.

zpDqJ5p.jpg

FWIW the bulbs a local NAPA could round up are from their heavy truck catalog....Wagner 17643 are the brake and signal bulbs and Wagner 17181 are the smaller bulbs for the reverse lights and various other interior placement.

QtolLHx.jpg

Why didn't you go with led bulbs? I bought a bunch of them off fleebay and have been slowly replacing, I think there is also a mud vendor that sells high quality led kits but cant remember their user name.

Do you have any more pics of the overhead console, been thinking about making one for my pickup.

Why didn't you go with led bulbs? I bought a bunch of them off fleebay and have been slowly replacing, I think there is also a mud vendor that sells high quality led kits but cant remember their user name.

Do you have any more pics of the overhead console, been thinking about making one for my pickup.
Perhaps you're thinking about Odd Iron Off Road's LED products.

:cheers:LED is on the menu for the next round of re-wiring. Odd Iron will be getting an order for those and a cup holder ASAP! I'll get some shots of the brackets tomorrow. I do know that I used 2 of the factory holes on the transmission hump side (the right front of the bucket seat hole and the tapped over middle support hole for the factory bench) Console was super simple. Cardboard template traced onto some 1/2" oak wall panel I had in the basement. Its nearly a press fit after the vinyl is installed but I have a few small steel L brackets to keep it up there.

Water pump went in without incident. Nothing like some clean parts in an engine bay...
mF2RbPD.jpg

Also, @unfortunately stopped by to help me finish up (and get a snorkel installed) and helped figure out an easier way to install the damn spring. If you do the process in reverse with the spring attached you have good leverage off of the pivot to the spring plate which allows you to locate the hole for the 8mm pivot bolt. No swearing and no tools flying.
dDDG8Bm.jpg

Didn't thought about this option at the moment .. would give a go in my next life ( I'm not gonna replace another water pump in those motors again in this one / while motor in the Cruiser .. )

Shake down run up in Brown's Camp. @billybongo63 showed @unfortunately and I around. Take aways are in no particular order:
1. I need some new front springs!
2. Listening to Zac's 12HT made me really miss my turbo setup.
2. There is no way anything taller than 285/70/16 will work with some rubbing.
3. This big ass Troopy is damn near as capable as my built Hilux was.
OXkHjHc.jpg

2UnWhIL.jpg

Found some proper Toyota seats out of an older RV conversion that are much nicer than the Honda ones. Mr T really does do everything better!
Some quick 1" square tubing brackets and I was in business (they have since been painted)
ZnEAQGl.jpg

Decided that the 30A alternator is just not going to cut it so I tracked down a 60A aftermarket Denso for a Caterpillar wheel loader that required very little modifications to fit. Swapped the pulley and now I have reliable generated power.
wX9Ji8f.png

Stumbled upon 4 nearly new 33 x 10.5 BFG AT KO's (still my favorite) that have maybe 300 miles on them. Still had the paper label remnants.
Ordered some stock steel rims and caps. Going a bit old school but it will look amazing.
CDFT1HO.jpg

Last but not least. No more sketchy climbing up the spare to get to the roof....

2yb7CXN.jpg

Aluminum square tube with steel brackets that use the stock holes for the license plate light trim. The hooks up top are slotted to allow adjustment tight on the upper door lip. Weighs less than a six pack. Next is the layout for the interior build.....

Sunrise solid axle run with @unfortunately and our buddy Leland.
IYzbhbw.jpg

Lelands '75 FJ40 was stretching her legs after a full OME suspension refresh...
eD9kzPd.jpg

Zac is learning the capability of a twin locked SOA HJ61...
ccmWRn8.jpg
z6jSrKm.jpg

The Troopy continues to impress me. Comfortable and capable.
UdS6JEC.jpg

ZnaVi7z.jpg

Her new shoes get mounted up tomorrow. Beginning the frame for the rear storage this week. :beer:

BTW my lady has started to call the Troopy 'Shirley' and I think it will stick.
Never ending Airplane references.:rimshot:
1bfAF2h.jpg

Last edited:
15" Toyota steelies with caps = Oh what a feeling!

nCCmGYm.jpg

She got her tires into the Pacific for the first time. Scored a Dometic bag awning and laid down some sound deadening and commercial vinyl coin grip in the back. Leaving my muffler shop and heard "Sweet Isuzu dude!" :cautious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom