Go west young man, or how a Troopy found it's way to Portland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy Mud, it's been a while since I've been active on the boards but recent events would seem to indicate a renewed interest. (Of course I'm trying to relearn the posting dialogue box so be patient!)

So I've been looking for a Troop Carrier for a couple of years and when Joekatana posted his 1990 PZJ75 I knew I needed to jump on it. RHD has never been my cup of tea so this was an obvious candidate. I'm one half of Benchmark Vehicles here in Portland OR, and this platform allows us to test out some modular interior build options too.

Fsatfj3.jpg

My super patient girlfriend and I flew into Dallas and Joe swooped us up and gave us a quick tour of his awesome shop and were quickly introduced to his cat Diesel.

iTTnq62.jpg

After some wiring shenanigans and inadvertently finding the PO's kill switch (!) we were headed West into the rolling ranches outside of Van Alstyne. Longhorn cattle were obviously curious to see a 75 passing by.

WUQlOqd.jpg

Just about sunset we were chased down by Fireman in his beautiful 100 series. We were glad to hear we would be on the Mud 'radar' through Texas. Made it to Amarillo that first night and rolled into what might be the nicest rest stop I've ever seen...although the 'Beware of Snakes' signs didn't win any points with my lady. An air mattress, some black out curtains and some bug screens with magnets allowed us to sleep easily in the back. We couldn't get over how damn big Troopy's are in back.

Xfl2iN7.jpg

Headed into New Mexico and the scenery really started to get good. Rolled into Santa Fe and spent the afternoon poking around and fielding everyones questions "yes it's a Landcruiser, no the snorkel doesn't mean I can actually drive in water up to the roof, no it is not for sale"....etc.

QDfgjQf.jpeg

Headed up into the mountains and found a beautiful campsite in the pine forest. After losing my wallet and the ensuing panic, we headed to Ojo Caliente hot springs resort and I have to say that was an amazing place and the perfect way to relax after some serious mileage.

We had lunch in Taos and headed up over the 9800 ft pass in the Carson Forest to connect
with route 84 into Colorado. We just happened to roll into Chama right as the Cumbres and Toltec Narrow Gauge Railroad was getting in. We drove along side and the engineer and fireman seemed as excited to see a Troopy as we were to see 100 year old rolling stock.
Got into Durango at sunset and we're quite taken with all the Cruisers in town. Ton's of 80's and some well built 60's.

Vi8PfwN.jpg

Up early for the Durango and Silverton which I've wanted to do since I was a kid. Amazing experience and the ride back over 550 with all the 14ers was eye opening. We'll be back to explore some of those old pass roads for sure!

We got into Mesa Verde National Park at sunset and had it nearly to ourselves. Beautiful place with incredible scenery. You really feel the spirits in the landscape.

CNouhm4.jpg

We got as far as Moab that night and the heat was starting to get to us and as Utah native I knew we needed to be into Arches early to beat the crowd and the triple digit temps. Sure enough we rolled in before the gates were even staffed and checked out the Delicate Arch viewpoint and as much of the park as was open.

59IEl87.jpg

As we headed towards Green River at 10 it was already a furnace so knowing there was cold beer in Park City kept us going. We got to rest for a day in P.C. and asses the Troopy. Being a Landcruiser she used exactly zero oil and no coolant in roughly 1600 miles by that point. I did a once over on various components and bolts and we were ready for the long haul through Boise and into Oregon. We had to fight some serious wind in the Gorge but rolled in with smiles on our faces and finally parked a Troop Carrier in the driveway!

Stats: 2600 miles, averaging 26mpg. No mechanical issues. No roadkill, lot's of good food and one mud bath. Countless thumbs up and some bewildered gas station attendants here in Oregon.

After some fresh fluids and a good cleaning we got the ARB and 24v winch thrown on and began the list of things needed to baseline her. A quick call to CruiserOutfitters and a new water pump and timing kit is in the mail. Now to find those darn mud flaps!

0p4XcJG.jpg

We are so excited to have joined the 70 series clan and look forward to building her to explore the West. It's worth noting that her twin already lives in Portland! (BillyBongo's LHD PZJ75).

I'll make sure to post updates as we begin the build out.

Last edited:
You made it! Awesome. Looks like a super fun road trip. Ill be ready to join in on the next one since Ill finally be registered/plated monday. Portland Troopy meet up definitely in order now.

My advice about:
["everyones questions "yes it's a Landcruiser, no the snorkel doesn't mean I can actually drive in water up to the roof, no it is not for sale"....etc."]
-Get used to it. hahaha Its gotten kind of annoying to me already to be honest. I will see people staring as I pull up waiting to make eye contact to chat and if i am not in the mood I just keep my head down sometimes haha. This is only 1 out of 10 times I should ad. I not always rude :p

Yep, my last truck was a built solid axle 1985 Hilux with the 2L-T. If I was in a hurry and someone walked up to ask "is that a diesel?!" I would just say nope.... I just really needed a valve job.
Good one! :rofl:

My buddy has a 22-re and recently blew a head gasket. after rebuild he has that tapping and we always joke that he finally got the diesel he always wanted hahaha

Awesome! Gblad yall made it. I was rolling home just before sunset the evening that we met y'all. I spotted the 70 Series rear doors about a half mile up the road and told my wife to hold on and i knew that I was missing my exit but I see a 70 Series ahead. Glad yall pulled over!

Last edited:
Great story!
Great pics!
Great title!
Great to have so many 75's here in PDX!

@joekatana helping with wiring gremlins .. that's awesome ..

BTW that water pump job it's PITA ( less in 1HZ but still )

Stoked for your new Troopy! How did it do in the elevation? Did you have to adjust the mechanical injection?

The 1PZ did just fine at altitude....no mistaking the fact it's a diesel! Smokey but but pulled just fine. In my experience the more air the better so even without a turbo the snorkel helps a lot. The rotary pump has the provisions to accept an HAC (or boost compensator) both of which I have in the shop.

@joekatana helping with wiring gremlins .. that's awesome ..

BTW that water pump job it's PITA ( less in 1HZ but still )

I never met a water pump that took more than a case of beer :beer: to finish, but you do get pretty deep into these motors to do 'em. Now only if that much coolant was as cheap as beer....

The kill switch has come in handy already! Also, a bit of your much appreciated "wiring skills" are in a small box headed back to you. ;)

see .. !
I never met a water pump that took more than a case of beer :beer: to finish, but you do get pretty deep into these motors to do 'em. Now only if that much coolant was as cheap as beer....

when I decide to tackle that job ( recently ) I thought good 6 hours of job will get that done .. WRONG .. ! so I'm not looking to it again .. I might put it on top of those jobs ( like knuckle job ) that I don't like ..

see .. !

when I decide to tackle that job ( recently ) I thought good 6 hours of job will get that done .. WRONG .. ! so I'm not looking to it again .. I might put it on top of those jobs ( like knuckle job ) that I don't like ..

Just wait until I am visiting then we can divide that time ;)

Just wait until I am visiting then we can divide that time ;)

don't ya thing I'm going to do that job again on Marilu .. no way ! ( knock wood )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom